Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cleo88_gw

best tasting paste (or other low-seed tomato)

cleo88
14 years ago

Hi,

My 10 year old daughter likes a tomato with as few seeds as possible. I am growing Opalka this year - any other suggestions for next year?

This is for eating uncooked, not necessarily for making sauce or otherwise cooking.

Comments (7)

• trudi_d
    14 years ago

Try Speckled Roman, it's very pretty and tastes so good too.

• carolyn137
    14 years ago

Cleo, I think some of the best tasting paste varieties are:

Opalka
    Heidi
    Mama Leone
    Martino's Roma
    Sarnowski Polish PLum

But in general I think that non paste tomatoes have the best tastes and there are many that have few seeds.

First on my list would be the many heart shaped varieties, all of which have few seeds and great taste and there are at least two threads here at GW already devoted to heart shaped varieties which you find by doing a search at the bottom of this page.

Off the top of my head I'd suggest:

Wes
    Anna Russian
    Linnie's Oxheart
    Russian #117
    Indiana Red
    Kosovo
    Nicky Crain
    Anna Maria's Heart
    Ukrainian Heart
    German Red Strawberry

.....to name just a few

And there are beefsteak varieties that are meaty and have dense flesh and few seeds as well. Here's just a few:

Chapman
    Red Penna
    Andrew Rahart's Jumbo Red
    Cuostralee
    Dr.Lyle
    Zogola
    Omar's Lebanese
    OTV Brandywine
    Neves Azorean Red

......and many many more.

If you want me to rank them for just a few in the heart and non hearts and paste ones listed above, I can do that as well. Just my own opinion having grown most of them several times.

Carolyn

• cleo88
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Excellent! I am also already growing this year:

Anna Russian
    German Red Strawberry
    Brandywine OTV

I have a wish list for 2010, and some of the others are already on there (including Speckled Roman, 'cause it looks so cool) - think I will put even more on the wish list.

Thanks, and other opinions are welcome too!

• digdirt2
    14 years ago

If it is the seeds she doesn't like, I assume you know you can easily remove the seeds from most any tomato? That way you enjoy the many great tasting ones rather than being limited to just average tasting ones. With few exceptions, paste type tomatoes are not noted for their fresh eating flavor.

Just as many don't like tomato skins and so peel before eating, many can't handle or don't like eating seeds either. So just cut any tomato in half or quarters vertically rather than horizontally and 90% of the seeds will slip right out.

Dave

• carolync1
    14 years ago

I understand that the gel around tomato seeds is good for you, though.

Thanks for the list of non-seedy non-pastes, Carolyn. I'm trying to re-create my mother-in-law's childhood tomato experiences with a big, smooth-skinned, meaty pink beefsteak type.

• catman529
    14 years ago

Big, smooth-skined, meaty pink beefsteak type - maybe Caspian Pink? I'm growing it for the first time this year so I can't say much about taste or seed content (not until the first ripe fruit!). But I've heard the flavor is excellent.

• carolync1
    14 years ago

Catman,

I'm trying Caspian Pink this year, too. I'm not confident that it was available in hot Central California during the Victory Garden era, though. I've got my eye on a few other varieties for next year. Dr. Lyle looks good. And Mexico. And Boondocks.