Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Keeping birds out of tomato garden

Posted by jpc57 coastal Virginia (My Page) on
Fri, May 25, 12 at 10:07

I love birds, which is a good thing since I live on 3 acres in the country! There are more kinds of birds than I can count and love their songs.
But what I don't love is that they sit on the tomato stakes in the garden and crap all over the plants. Two of my favorite tomato plants (Black Krim) have been killed by bird poop. want to get this figured out before more plants die, and before the tomatoes are covered in poop.

So far I've tried nail a nail in the top of each stake and that worked for a day and they came back. Then I tied lengths of colorful ribbon from the nails and again, it worked for one day and they came back.

I have not done the tin pie plate thing because I have nearly 70 tomato stakes out there and do not want to go to that expense for something to throw away later and I'm not convinced would work.

The garden beds are in full sun but there are cherry and pear trees nearby that they're welcome to, and there's a pine not far from the garden, and there is a meadow nearby and lots of woods at the back of the property. Any ideas for a humane way to keep the birds from my tomato gardens? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Keeping birds out of tomato garden

I just have mine covered with a bird net, they can not land on the net so really no place for them to pitch.
You can also put a plastic Owl perched on the pole.

o

Not sure which birds are you dealing with, but you can try feeding them under those trees that they are welcome at. Seeds and bread crumbs treat for a couple of days at the same place could do the trick. I've got lots of sparrows that are nesting in my garden, along with some random pigeons and other birds which i don't know the names of in english, i just feed them in the other part of the garden and they don't seem interested to hang out on the tomato stakes. Hope it works :)

Cheers,
Djole

o

• Posted by bets z6A ID (My Page) on
    Fri, May 25, 12 at 11:17

jpc57,

I would have suggested a pie tin nailed or tacked to the top of the stakes, but if you have to buy them, I can see that being an issue for the number of stakes you have. Perhaps a plastic cup upside down on the stake top? That way it would be an unstable slick place for them to try to perch. Unfortunately, I think they might be likely to blow off and if you nail them on, that might stabilize them enough that the birds could perch on them. Maybe a hole in the rim area and a string tied to the stake that allows the cup to move but not to rise high enough to come off the stake?

Perhaps used CD, DVD, CDR/RW discs over the nail on the top? Most people have a stack of them that come in the mail, have an obsolete program on them or that didn't burn successfully. I think if I looked I could lay my hands on about 20 of them right now and I have not been saving them.

One year when I had a lot of trouble with starlings in the garden, I stapled mylar strips to the top of every wooden post in my Florida weave. It was fairly effective because it rattled in the wind.

Good luck!

Betsy

o

Something along this line has been used on building ledges in Chicago for the last 30 years, and as a person who visited the Loop regularly for many years, I can testify that it made a significant difference!
http://www.homedepot.com/buy/outdoors/garden-center/bird-x/plastic-spikes-kit-10-ft-8905.html
Lowe's sells something similar.

This one says "pigeons and seagulls only," so apparently this sort of thing may not deter smaller birds.
http://www.nixalite.com/PlasticSpike.aspx

This similar product is supposed to keep cats from digging in the garden. I suppose you could cut them into small pieces and try nailing them to the tops of the stakes.
http://www.gardeners.com/Safe-Cat-Deterrent/31-954,default,pd.html
An alternative would be to cut chickenwire into small squares and bend the outer wires vertical.

But if your small birds don't mind the nails you put on the stakes ... and because they're small birds ... maybe they'd be equally happy to perch on small plastic spikes or chickenwire....

o

Two of my favorite tomato plants (Black Krim) have been killed by bird poop.

Never heard of this. How does that happen? Is it bacteria or what that does it?

Dave

o

I have the same quandry as you. I have both treseses and stakes. I think I've solved the problem with the treseses. I string a string horizontaly above the top of the trelese. Birds may land on it b ut after teetering back and forth for a bit, the fly away. If the string is too high the small birds just get under it. A second string strung below the first one seems to keep the smaller birds away. I am glad you mentioned that the nail idea doens't work. I was thinking about something similiar for the stakes. What I have in mind is attatching something very flimsy sticking up above the stake that would not support perching bird. Most likely several of them so a bird couldn't land beside it. Maybe something like cable ties or maybe thin gauge wires. There has to be something that will work (I hope)

o

• Posted by jpc57 coastal Virginia (My Page) on
    Fri, May 25, 12 at 13:41

Thanks for all of the suggestions, everyone! I am still thinking about what to do.

Digdirt, the plants were small and they were bombarded with bird poop--maybe the poop is acidic, I don't know. But they're dead. Sigh.

o

• Posted by garf 10B (My Page) on
    Fri, May 25, 12 at 16:16

Razor wire.

o

• Posted by jpc57 coastal Virginia (My Page) on
    Fri, May 25, 12 at 16:35

I may have foiled the birds, literally--with foil! So far they haven't been back. I'd post a photo but I don't see a way to do that. :(

o

jpc57, here are instructions on how to post from Photoshop (a free photo-hosting service):
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/hosta/msg0513322013993.html?14

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here