Then look at the flower arrangement you gave or

got today. Chances are it has a piece of

"organza" attached to it. Keep it and use it

for your tomato plants.

Free organza bags. YAY.

Comments (10)

• carolyn137
    14 years ago

Do you have amother? No, she passed away in 2000.

Or are you a mother yourself? No, except for two cat kids.

Then look at the flower arrangement you gave or
    got today. Chances are it has a piece of
    "organza" attached to it. Keep it and use it
    for your tomato plants.

Free organza bags. YAY.

Well yes, but I bet there are some folks here who have no idea what they'd use that organza for. LOL

It's used to make bags to put over tomato blossoms before they open so that no cross pollination can occur.

For a discussion and some nice pictures please go to the top of this first page, click on the blue FAQ link and scroll down until you find the article on How To Prevent Cross Pollination.

However, if anyone wants to send me flowers, I'll gladly accept them even if they don't have an organza bow attached. LOL

Carolyn

• lazyhat
    14 years ago

I just a Organza bags last night on Ebay for such a purpose. :-)

• lazyhat
    14 years ago

opps "I just *bought a.." I meant to say.

I guess I should of spell checked before I hit post. Gardenweb should have a "edit post" at least for 24 hours so to fix mistakes! How punctually embarrassing!

• bcskye
    14 years ago

Carolyn137, you are too a mother - to the cat kids. Every year my sister sends me Happy Mother's Day greetings for two reasons. I was a mother at one time to a darling little boy and I've been a mother to dog kids ever since I can remember. Every year I get flowers or a plant from the dog kids. Yes, I love them and they love me. So, Happy Mother's Day!

P.S. First time I've heard about the organza bags even though I've grown tomatoes for too many years. Thanks!

• cleo88
    14 years ago

Another reason not to buy organza bags:

I bought a bunch (6"x9") and have extra. I posted a "will send bag for a few seeds" on Exchanges.

I had to buy them because my Mother's Day gift was not flowers but rather... I GOT TO WORK IN THE GARDEN ALL DAY while DH handled the kids. Got my stakes up for Florida weave, planted some basil and chives and even planted three out of my 20+ maters, though it was too early, I know, but I started them March 13 and they were begging me.. I can't stand it when they give me THAT LOOK! :)

• edmoodlee
    9 years ago

hhehehe you guys will ruin the bag business :P

Please stop posting reasons and go get some at cheap from wholesale of organza bags

Here is a link that might be useful: organza bags

• cold_weather_is_evil
    9 years ago

>> Gardenweb should have a "edit post" at least for 24 hours so to fix mistakes!

It does. The very bottom line of the "clippings" cloud at the top of your posted message should say "NEW! Edit Post" in teeny tiny little itsy bitsy letters..

• sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
    9 years ago

Never thought they would be needed for tomatoes. I have them for fruit trees and grapes.
    Nice to know if a problem comes up...

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Are they made of nylon/French tulle ?

I can buy them for under 2 bucks per yard. I use the as deterrent against insects like flea beetles. You can also wrap flower cluster with it to prevent cross pollination by insects.

• sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
    9 years ago

I think i'll be wrapping/ covering more this year. I've just always let thing be and happy with a harvest no mater what...enough for us and plenty for the birds and critters.
    I have way more than i can handle with many fruit trees...
    Buckets of asian pears last fall...gooseberries, blueberries, apples, grapes.
    I have a bit more time this year than many in the past 10. Often out of town.
    Should be a fine experiment seeing it through the season.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH