Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tomatoes are Drowning!

Posted by Cdon 7a (My Page) on
Sun, May 4, 14 at 10:30

Ive got 100+ heirloom tomatoes planted in a new area which I am now finding out has very poor drainage. Last wednesday we had an unprecedented 5 inchses of rain. At first the plants looked fine, but starting friday or so they started looking worse by the day droopy, curled leaves - best I can tell they are drowning. This is the first time I have dealt with this, thus I have two questions.

1. How many days (post soaking) before you can safely conclude "these guys are done" and replant?

2. Assuming they do survive, will they recover enough to produce normally? Or is this like a chilling injury where too many cold nights early season will lead to inhibited production all year long?

Any info from you guys/gals with experience in this sort of thing would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tomatoes are Drowning!

I went through something similar several years back. It was what convinced me once and for all to plant in raised rows.

Survival rate for me was approx. 80% of the 250 plants i had out at the time so the odds are in your favor. But you will lose some plants so be prepared to replace them.

Time allowed to see if they survive is as much as you can allow for, 8-10 days minimum if possible will give you the answer.

But one thing I fond that does help - depending on equipment you have available and how quickly the surrounding soil dries enough to work with - is to hill up around the plant and bury any and all exposed stem. New roots will develop all along that buried stem quickly and offset much if not all the damaged roots in the deep wet soil.

It is relatively easy to do with a furrow attachment or spaced harrow if you have one. If you have to do it by hand then focus on the varieties you most need to save.

Hope this helps and I wish you good luck.

Dave

o
RE: Tomatoes are Drowning!

When we moved into our new house 5 years ago I planted some tomatoes in an area that that poor drainage. Unfortunately in my case the area never dried out and every time it rained it just stayed wet. Fortunately there were only a few plants in the really wet area, but they didn't survive and were severely stunted. The time to do something is now......if possible.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here