Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandman_tx

Tomatos seem to be fading already-Help!

Sandman_TX
10 years ago

I transplanted all of my toms in raised beds post the last frost of the year. First year gardener, obviously a lot to learn. One plant gone, others are now showing the brown spots. Does it look like fungus? over watering? I'm in the Texas Hill Country and we have had a very unusually wet spring, we have been on a 10 year drought as of late. we received 10 inches of rain on Saturday. Been eating from the celebrities, but the Tycoons never flourished. Yellow pears and Juliets look like they may be in danger? :(

Comments (12)

• suncitylinda
    10 years ago

When I see that many brown crunchy leaves on tomato plants, mites come to mind. I have had Tomato Russet Mites several times. They cannot be seen with the naked eye. Google search will return info. Other than that, if you have some spotting on leaves before they die off maybe a picture of that?

• edweather USDA 9a, HZ 9, Sunset 28
    10 years ago

Gosh, that one plant looks finished, and I would start spraying with my insecticide, AND fungicide of choice quickly.

• Sandman_TX
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Couple more pics. Not sure how to add more than one picture at a time.

• Sandman_TX
    Original Author
    10 years ago

another

• klem1
    10 years ago

Hello Sandman. There is no single answer as to why your toms are sick. Tomatos are finiky about moisture,tempature,humidity and about any thing else that can effect plant growth. If you are serious about gardening and not easyly discouraged,I reccomend reading every thing you can get your hands on having to do with plants you desire growing. Unusual weather has tripped up many seasoned gardeners this year. I also suspect your plants were far too mature when transplanted. Next year try transplanting into the raised bed earlier and be prepared to cover in case of frost. Many experinced gardeners take 3 or 4 aproches with tomatoes each year to assure some degree of success with at least 1. In time they drop one then another until they go with 1 method 90% while "experimenting" with the other 10%. Then you have a small number such as my aunt who cultivate 40 to 75 toms exactly alike and succeed year after year. The latter group are so in tune with the soil,plants and weather that they recconize trouble early on and amend and change as the need arises. Looking around this forum you find members that have been on here a long while and still ask questions. Those people just love gardening for any number of reasons and don't consider it a failure when thier intire garden meets with disaster or mis-judgement. Welcome to the gardening community and hopfuly a pleasurable hobby. Browse and read. If you become bored,maybe you weren't cut out. If the more you read,the more courious you become,you will soon find your stride and be on the way to hours of relaxation and new found friends. Being located in the Hill Country,you just may become the GardenWeb expert on co-existing with White Tails.

• suncitylinda
    10 years ago

Looks more fungal than anything else but I am hardly an expert. Rain and fungal leaf disease seem to go together. I would suggest you remove the badly spotted leaves and start spraying with a fungicide such as Daconil, widely available but there are many others. Good luck!

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Need also some close up of the leaves,
    I can think also about sun scold/burn.
    you mentioned about draught. Do you depend on rain for watering your plants?

In the first picture I see cinder blocks. Are the maters planted in them ?. what kind of temperatures/ hours of direct sun the plants have been exposed to?

Diseases attach plants (even us humans) when there is stress , weakness. In this case could be stress due to heat, lack of water and high heat associated with them

• Sandman_TX
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I sprayed sevendust and will give the fungicide a go today. Only the toms are affected, everything else looks ok. Cinder blocks are just the borders of the raised beds. I think will try and plant some new ones from seed too and have that working. As far as the white tails are concerned, I have a fence for that; take a look! ;)

• Charlie
    10 years ago

I think that it looks like "root rot."

The first step to preventing tomato root rot is preparing the soil properly. Tomato plants don't like wet feet. Standing water around the tomato plant's root system creates the ideal breeding ground for root-rot fungi. Improve your waterlogged soil's drainage by adding sand or organic matter. Also, keep the pH between 6.0 and 7.0. Root rot loves acidic soils.

Watering
    Tomatoes do not like to sit in water and therefore should only be watered 1 to 2 inches once a week. One thorough soaking is preferred over frequent, light waterings so that the roots have plenty of time to dry out, and thus prevent root rot. Once the tomato plant is established, add mulch to the base of the plant so water doesn't evaporate too quickly.

• Sandman_TX
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It sounds like I am totally not doing the watering right for the tomatoes; I have the soaker going every morning and the dirt is muddy and not dry at all. We have also had the most mild spring I have ever seen here. We normally hit 100 degrees by now.

I turned off the auto-water and will hand water the rest of the plants for a couple of weeks to see how the tomatoes do. My dad told me to put cardboard at the base of the raised beds to prevent weeds, but I'm thinking that may also be hindering drainage now.

Thanks a lot for taking the time to help. :)

• ABlindHog
    10 years ago

How deep is the soil layer under your beds? I have less than a foot of soil over pretty much solid rock, drainage is a big issue in much of the hill country. You might want to consider doubling the depth of your beds next year if your soil is shallow.

• Sandman_TX
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Soil is two cinder blocks high so pretty deep and of course hill country rock underneath. I trimmed the dead/dying stuff and turned off the water and most seem to be making a come back. The yellow pears and juliets are looking strong, but the celebrities are still on the fence.