Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Newbie questions about tomato seedlings

Posted by alina_1 6/7, MD (My Page) on
Fri, May 4, 12 at 10:56

After a failure with tomatoes planted in the garden (they all were eaten by critters), I decide to make a second attempt. I ordered a couple of Earthboxes. Will try to plant tomatoes and keep them on the patio - squirrels and deer do not like to have their breakfast too close to the home.

I read lots of posts here and decided on these varieties for planting in Earthboxes: Black Krim, Cherokee Purple, Brandywine, Early Girl.
Can plant a couple of dwarf varieties (Husky Cherry Red, Patio) in regular pots.

Yesterday, I checked the selection of tomato seedlings at the local Home Depot and Lowe's. Found Black Crim, Patio, Husky Cherry Red, and Early Girl.

Now my questions.

I noticed that some pots have 2 or 3 stems coming from the same spot. Does this mean that there are multiple plants in this pot or it is just branching from the same root?

Also, the seedlings look a bit leggy to me. Should I pinch them after transplanting?

Any other info/advise on buying and planting will be greatly appreciated too.

TIA!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Newbie questions about tomato seedlings

First a couple of Earthboxes means 4 plants total and you are listing several indeterminate varieties rather than determinate varieties too so that will greatly affect which varieties you can plant if you plan to put 2 in each box. ie: Brandywine will take up 1 box all by itself and 2 Early Girls in one box is 'possible' but not ideal despite what the company claims. I have used several Earthboxes for years and quickly learned that some of the EB advertising is hype. They can work wonderfully well but less is more when it comes to type and number of plants in them.

Question 1: probably multiple plants that didn't get thinned out properly. I would pass on those.

Question 2: No pinching, Just plant them deeper. Strip off the lower leaves and bury as much of the stem as possible. Pass on the really leggy ones in favor of shorter, stockier plants.

Dave

o

alina_1, if the stems are pliable enough, you can plant the bottom of the plant horizontally in the hole, with the top of the plant sticking up vertically. BTDT.

o

I own several Earthboxes as well as several Garden Patch containers. While I think they are great, I quit trying to cram 2 indetermant varieties in them, although thats what both companies say to do. I now plant 1 per box, or grow something like Patio 2 per box.

I don't want to discourage you, but you might want to rethink the 2 per box idea.

Lew

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here