Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sharing some success this year...

Posted by ladon 10 CA (My Page) on
Fri, May 18, 12 at 10:56

...This is the first year since I've been on this forum that my plants are doing AMAZING!! Some are 8' tall already, and loaded with fruit...and it's only May. Thanks to this forum for all the advice I've gotten over the years. I'm usually posting about all the things I've done wrong and am trying to rescue. Just thought I'd share some success pix, for a change. LOL!
FYI, I planted 2 months earlier than usual this year due to the unseasonably warm weather we had in February. I figured if it got cold again and i lost some plants it was still early enough to start again. So I went for it...and it worked, even with temps that dipped into the low 40's for a few nights. I also raised my beds this year by 14 inches. My plants are in the ground along the perimeter of the house, so I have to maximize the ground space that I have. That and a few containers too. Oh...and in the interest of full disclosure, I chose to use daconil this year too. I've lost my crop by the end of August every year, and I thought I'd give it a try this year. I know there's a lot of controversy surrounding it, but I've weighed my options and decided to go for it this year. I want my plants to survive past August.
Thanks everyone for all your tips through the years. Happy growing!!
Don
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sharing some success this year...

Wow! :) Great job, looks beautiful

o

You done GOOD, Don. =)

o

Very nice looking plants. How high do you plan to let them get and how will you support them?

o

Aha!!! SneakyP, you bring up a good question...one that I've been grappling with. I think what I will end up doing is allowing the plants to get as high as the house (just above the edge of the photo), which has a flat roof. I will rig a support system, probably of twine, that attaches to the roof ridge and ties off at the bottom, probably every 12-18". Anything above that will be topped off...I think. I've never had this problem before, so I'll have to keep ya posted. LOL.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here