Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Black spot

Posted by betsyconnolly 7/8 (My Page) on
Mon, May 21, 12 at 11:08

Years ago if anyone grew tomatos they would try to give them away as they had way to many. You don't see that anymore. Everyone I know is having trouble with the black spot on the fruit itself. Healthy plants, lots of tomatoes but they all get the bad spot that rots the whole tomato. What is going on ??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Black spot

Healthy plants, lots of tomatoes but they all get the bad spot that rots the whole tomato. What is going on ??

That could be many different things. Tomatoes don't get the disease that roses get called "Black Spot" but there are many different things that can cause a 'black spot' on a tomato - some of them serious, many of then nothing serious at all.

Can you provide a picture of what you are talking about? More details and description?

There are lots of photo tomato problems solving websites with pics to help you identify exactly what you might be seeing. I linked one of them below.

As for giving away extra plants, I do it and so do many others here. Same goes for giving away tomatoes.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: TAMU Tomato Problem Solver

o
RE: Black spot

Betsy, I think you need to distinguish between black spots on the foliage of which the most common are Bacterial Spot and Bacterial Speck, as opposed to BER ( blossom end rot), which is almost always found at the bottom of the fruits, the blossom end.

BER usually doesn't cause the whole fruit to rot, just the blossom end but there's also a condition called internal BER where there's no indication of anything wrong with a fruit until you cut it open and it's all black inside. But internal BER is the rare form of BER.

BER and the common foliage diseases have been around forever and ever, so I'm not sure why you suggest that either BER or the bacterial foliage diseases seem somewhat new to you ( "black spots")and by implication, perhaps some of your friends.

The TAMU Problem Solver that Dave linked to is a good one and I'll link to another one I think is good, which is the Cornell one, below.

Carolyn

Here is a link that might be useful: Cornell Problem Solver

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here