Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
purpleinopp

What kind for the south for fried green?

What kind of tomato plants do well in very hot, humid conditions that are BIG enough for frying them while still green? It seems like no matter what kind I try, they start to turn while they're still so small. We want big green toms! TIA.

Comments (8)

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

It would help to know what varieties you have tried that "start to turn while they're still so small" so we don't just recommend the same varieties. Since it takes an average of 6 weeks for a green to ripen, it sounds like you might just need to pick them sooner. Plus most any variety will do well in the south so there is no limit on the choices available.

We make fried green tomatoes using just about any variety from medium to large including Rutgers, Big Boy, Arkansas Traveler, Giant Belgium or even the early ones like Glory just to name a few.

Otherwise if size is the primary characteristic you are after then try one of the many beefsteak varieties as they are the largest ones.

Dave

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the input!

Yes, it's all about size, they all taste about the same fried to me... unless they are always the same kind at stores & restaurants. Mortgage lifter and better boy are the ones I got last year I think. Most of them would start to change from green when a little smaller than a kiwi fruit.

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

That sounds more like a growing conditions issue than a variety issue. Both of those varieties normally produce fruit much larger than a kiwi.

So maybe it is your growing conditions you need to explore - in ground or in containers, nutrients provided - what and how often, watering regimen, planting times, type of soil amending done, sun exposure, etc.

Dave

• nordfyr315
    11 years ago

Since taste isn't an issue, I would just go with seeds from any generic grocery store beefsteak. You know if they are carried in a grocery store, they are gonna be prolific.

• SneakyP
    11 years ago

If its all about the size than you might want to give "Delicious" a try. If I'm not mistaken it is or was the current record hold size wise.

• cakefarm
    11 years ago

I grow Big Rainbow's in a little more shade than they like SPECIFICALLY for green tomatoes! They are great in the heat, produce very large fruit and take a while to ripen. In my conditions anyway. It is definitely my favorite tomato for picking green and it's also great fully ripe. Rutgers is probably a close second.

• lewski
    11 years ago

I totally agree with Dave about growing conditions being the problem. Mortgage Lifter is capable of producing quite large tomatoes, and Better Boy is certainly larger than a kiwi. But if you want some monsters you might try Omar's Lebanese, a great pink when ripe that has produced huge tomatoes for me. Zogola and Coustralee are two others that can grow very large under the right conditions.
    Hope that helps.

Lew

• ncrealestateguy
    11 years ago

Big Rainbow is my recommendation.