Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What kind for the south for fried green?

Posted by purpleinopp 8b AL (My Page) on
Thu, May 3, 12 at 11:13

What kind of tomato plants do well in very hot, humid conditions that are BIG enough for frying them while still green? It seems like no matter what kind I try, they start to turn while they're still so small. We want big green toms! TIA.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What kind for the south for fried green?

It would help to know what varieties you have tried that "start to turn while they're still so small" so we don't just recommend the same varieties. Since it takes an average of 6 weeks for a green to ripen, it sounds like you might just need to pick them sooner. Plus most any variety will do well in the south so there is no limit on the choices available.

We make fried green tomatoes using just about any variety from medium to large including Rutgers, Big Boy, Arkansas Traveler, Giant Belgium or even the early ones like Glory just to name a few.

Otherwise if size is the primary characteristic you are after then try one of the many beefsteak varieties as they are the largest ones.

Dave

o

Thanks for the input!

Yes, it's all about size, they all taste about the same fried to me... unless they are always the same kind at stores & restaurants. Mortgage lifter and better boy are the ones I got last year I think. Most of them would start to change from green when a little smaller than a kiwi fruit.

o

That sounds more like a growing conditions issue than a variety issue. Both of those varieties normally produce fruit much larger than a kiwi.

So maybe it is your growing conditions you need to explore - in ground or in containers, nutrients provided - what and how often, watering regimen, planting times, type of soil amending done, sun exposure, etc.

Dave

o

Since taste isn't an issue, I would just go with seeds from any generic grocery store beefsteak. You know if they are carried in a grocery store, they are gonna be prolific.

o

If its all about the size than you might want to give "Delicious" a try. If I'm not mistaken it is or was the current record hold size wise.

o

I grow Big Rainbow's in a little more shade than they like SPECIFICALLY for green tomatoes! They are great in the heat, produce very large fruit and take a while to ripen. In my conditions anyway. It is definitely my favorite tomato for picking green and it's also great fully ripe. Rutgers is probably a close second.

o

I totally agree with Dave about growing conditions being the problem. Mortgage Lifter is capable of producing quite large tomatoes, and Better Boy is certainly larger than a kiwi. But if you want some monsters you might try Omar's Lebanese, a great pink when ripe that has produced huge tomatoes for me. Zogola and Coustralee are two others that can grow very large under the right conditions.
Hope that helps.

Lew

o

Big Rainbow is my recommendation.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here