Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oilrigg

Tomato Leaves Wilting (Limp)

oilrigg
10 years ago

I have 2 cherry tomatoes in raised beds where the tips of the plant are going limp. It looks like lack of water/stress, but I've watered the soil and it is damp. I believe it started 2 days ago when the weather spiked to 85F. The weather has cooled down and we have daily averages of around 72F now. The leaves still look limp. Is it just stress from 2 days ago and the plants will return to normal in a few days?

Comments (16)

• mambooman
    10 years ago

Has anything been sprayed near them? The leaves look like they have some leaf curl too. When you touch the leaf, are they really limp like a wilted leaf or does it feel like a normal leaf (but maybe a little leathery)?

• oilrigg
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Nothing has been sprayed near them. The leaves feel soft.

I have potted tomatoes and the times when I forget to water them, they look the same..limp leaves. But if I water them they perk right back up.

• edweather USDA 9a, HZ 9, Sunset 28
    10 years ago

Stress of some kind. Inspect the main stem carefully at the soil level. Maybe a bug or animal of some kind did something to it.

• mambooman
    10 years ago

The reason I asked about spraying is that most of the leaves look fine, except the top. Did you perhaps use some compost around them that was bought at a store?

• oilrigg
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I don't see any evidence of bugs near the stem at soil level. I don't think it was caused by an animal. I haven't added anymore soil to the raised beds since March.

I actually have 4 tomatoes in this 6' x 1' raised bed. I'm wondering if its stressing out because the plants are too close together. Also, it's been fairly windy the past few weeks. It may have stressed out because of that.

• 2ajsmama
    10 years ago

Are you sure the top didn't get broken in the wind?

• oilrigg
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The top of the stem looks healthy.

I'm wondering if it could also be overwatering. The soil in the raised beds are made from compost (food scraps, leaves), top soil, and composted chicken manure. The garden soil we have is clay soil. Maybe it's not getting proper drainage.

• DaddyJax
    10 years ago

I have noticed that my plants do this everyday in the FL heat. I am new to growing tomatoes and started to think that it was normal. Looking forward to answers from the veterans in here

• mambooman
    10 years ago

Has it gotten any worse? Any better?

• oilrigg
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It hasn't gotten worse nor better. I think I would need to wait another week and see what happens. I've watered them again but it still hasn't perked up.

If it doesn't perk up, I'm thinking of just pruning the plant down to the healthy leaves.

This is just affecting my cherry tomatoes. I have a paste tomato and a mid sized tomato right beside it and they're healthy.

• Ohiofem 6a/5b Southwest Ohio
    10 years ago

The soil in the raised beds are made from compost (food scraps, leaves), top soil, and composted chicken manure. The garden soil we have is clay soil.
    I'm thinking it's a problem with your soil. Is the compost fully done composting? How much chicken manure did you use? Could there be pockets of one ingredient or another that has not been fully mixed in? Did you add any dry fertilizer that could be burning the roots? Sometimes cherry tomatoes grow faster than other toms, and their roots may extend deeper into the mix.

The only other possibility I thought of would be aphids or some other tiny pest that could have caused the damage. You might not see them except under a magnifying glass.

• mambooman
    10 years ago

do you prune? If not, find another area of new growth...does it look normal?

• oilrigg
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The chicken manure was from lowes. I didn't add too much. There was more compost and top soil compared to the chicken manure addition. It seemed close to fully done being composted. But I placed the chicken manure in the raised beds some time in february and didn't transplant till april.
    I also added home made compost, garden lime, and blood meal and mixed them in together.

I prune any leaves that are yellowing, look sick, or leaves that are touching the soil.

One thing is that the cherry tomatoes have tons of flowers and green tomatoes on them. I'm wondering if I'm not watering enough. I'll usually water each plant for about a minute and I generally water the plants in the raised beds once every 2/3 days.

• miesenbacher
    10 years ago

Dissolve 1 aspirin in a gallon of water and do a foliar spray on the plant. It will turn on the plants defense system to help fight off what ever is causing the problem.

Ami

• 2ajsmama
    10 years ago

If it's been that hot and you only water for a minute (even if it is every other day) that is probably it. Water so the soil is soaked (trickle for maybe 30 minutes, a soaker hose laid in the whole bed would be best), then wait for it to dry out (depending on how man hours of sun your bed gets, how deep it is, how dry and windy it is that could be the next day or 3 days - rain might mean you don't water for a week).

Your plants have developed shallow roots from the brief shallow watering and they are drying out when the surface of the soil dries out between waterings. Even if you planted them deep, the original deep roots aren't getting any water. When you say the soil is damp, how far down did you check?

If you haven't mulched, you should to retain moisture and to keep soil from splashing up on the leaves when it rains.

• oilrigg
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I checked the plants again today and it seems like they're no longer limp and are perking up. I guess it's just been stressed, either by wind, a spike in temperature, or not enough watering.

I use the typical garden hose nozzle with 8 different settings. I use the soaker setting and leave it there for about a minute. It seems like that equates to 2 gallons of water per plant. Is that enough water?

I do believe the plants have developed shallow roots. I use newspaper and pine bark as mulch. I've only checked about 5 inches deep.