Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Yellowing leaves on tomatoes

Posted by Cdon 7a (My Page) on
Sat, May 26, 12 at 11:19

Anyone have any ideas on why my tomato plants are yellowing? Sorry, I dont have a picture.

Background facts:
- I have this yellowing in 3 of my 8 plants (sunsugar, rutgers, & Aunt Ruby's german green). The other 5 are fine.
- The 3 affected plants are not next to each other. In case some may be suspecting fungus.
- The yellowing is only on the top of the plants near new growth.

The guy at the local farmers market suggested fertilizer.
Anyone here have any ideas? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Yellowing leaves on tomatoes

It could be virus, or it could be a PH Imbalance, or it could be a nutrient shortage, iron comes to mind. If you would post some information as to how you are growing the plants, inground? containers? and what have you added to the soil we could make some educated guesses. Also is the yellow growth normal looking otherwise?

o

• Posted by Cdon 7a (My Page) on
    Sat, May 26, 12 at 11:46

Also, if it helps with a diagnosis, the yellowing is not at the leaf tips. Its heaviest where the leaf is joined to the branch, and then spreads outward. Its a relatively pale yellowing, and uniform (no brown spots or anything). Thanks!

o

Cdon, have a look at these photos of iron shortage:
http://vegetablemdonline.ppath.cornell.edu/DiagnosticKeys/TomLeaf/Iron_Tom.htm
and the next-to-last photo on this page:
http://5e.plantphys.net/article.php?ch=t&id=289

o

Its heaviest where the leaf is joined to the branch, and then spreads outward. Its a relatively pale yellowing, and uniform

Herbicide damage is what that sounds like. No way to be sure without seeing it but it is a common problem this time of year. You can see pics of it on Goggle Images to compare with yours.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Herbicide injury to tomatoes pic

o

Sun, May 27, 12 at 10:05

Well for starters, kudos to both of you. Even with no picture from me, I'd say you guys pretty much nailed it.

Im leaning more toward iron deficiency in that it looks a bit more like that vs. herbicide. In part because the placement of the plants makes herbicide drift unlikely, and the leaves otherwise look pretty healthy. My thought too (and please correct me if this is wrong) is that if it is herbicide there isnt much for me to do other than give it time to heal itself.

So if it is iron, apparently a liquid supplement is the way to go. Im thinking I will pick one up at the nursery, and see if that works.

o

Thu, May 31, 12 at 10:03

Following up...

Well it turns out what looked exactly like iron deficiency was actually the early stages of herbicide damage. Turns out a well intentioned, but uninformed neighbor sprayed some round up WAY too close.

Going forward, from what I have read, there is nothing you can do for the tomato plants other than "wait it out". That said, should I cut off the damaged parts, or leave them in place?

o

does it look like this?

Photobucket

That is glyphosate damage, roundup. Only thing you can do it hope and pray. are there farm fields around you?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here