Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shlacm

Sick Plants, what's wrong? (Pictures)

shlacm
13 years ago

Here are 2 of my plants, they're about 3 ft apart. They've been in the ground for over a month, doing fine. The last 2 weeks I think we've had 2 sunny days and, obviously, LOTS of rain! The PL plant is mostly fine, but does have a few leaves with the spots. The RL plant has them on AT LEAST 50% of its leaves and a couple of blooms have dried/shriveled up.

Can anyone tell me what it is, and how to save them?

Thank you!

Comments (10)

• anney
    13 years ago

It's probably Early Blight or one of the other fungal or bacterial diseases that got started with all the moisture. Just remove all the affected leaves and put them far from your plants and then begin a spraying program to prevent the disease from spreading further.

If you want to go organic, try Serenade or Google "organic fungicides and bacterial control". If you aren't stuck on organic methods, try Ortho's Garden Disease Control.

Others may have suggestions, too.

When you spray, your purpose is to cover the leaves and stems so that the disease cannot take hold, which they need bare plant "skins" to do. You need also to mulch your beds with something more than bark. It will absorb the nitrogen in the beds and isn't sufficient for plant protection from rain splash-up.

The symptoms don't look too bad right now, but you need to remove the affected leaves today! Then get some kind of spray after you decide which ones you want to use and follow label directions.

Good luck! I've been out this morning removing the lower leaves from my tomato plants that have similar spots.

• shlacm
    Original Author
    13 years ago

*sigh* Well, I went out and butchered the plants. :( Not sure the Yellow Pear (RL) will survive as there aren't many leaves left! The German Johnson still has plenty though. I hope it's not too late! And of course, it's rainin' AGAIN today! So, I can't really spray with anything 'til the weather changes!

• star_stuff
    13 years ago

Butchered the plants?! Why? All you had was a little sun scald or cold damage, as far as I can tell. Absolutely nothing was wrong with your plants. That is really unfortunate...

• anthony_toronto
    13 years ago

Well if the yellow pear dies, at least some good will have come out of this.

• star_stuff
    13 years ago

LOL Anthony

• shlacm
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well, live and learn I guess. The yellow pear is my 5 yo's... at least it'd be an easy one to replace.

• anthony_toronto
    13 years ago

They do look good, which is why I grew them once. Ever since that fateful summer I try to speak out at every opportunity on the evil that is yellow pear. Does anyone know if there are any pear-shaped varieties that taste good?

As for growing for your 5 yr old, have you though about trying some of the currant varieties (assuming he/she is interesting in a tomato thats different/interesting)? I tried several, most were disappointing in terms of flavour (and the plants got completely out of control), but Hawaiian Currant was surprisingly tomatoey both times I grew it.

• lacysue2
    13 years ago

Does anyone know if there are any pear-shaped varieties that taste good?

Here is a link that might be useful: red pear

• shlacm
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'll keep the Hawaiian currant on my list for next year - it's too late to look for anything "interesting" for this year. He doesn't care (or know) about the pear shape, he just wanted a yellow tomato and I wanted it to be small because all 3 of my boys are more likely to eat a handful of little tomatoes than a "regular" sized tomato.

I do have a Matt's wild tomato this year too.

It still has two full sets/levels of leaves at the top, any thoughts on its chances of survival?

• Bets
    13 years ago

I think your YP will come back. Tomatoes are amazingly hardy.

If what you had on your plants was a "blight", one way to make sure that it does not spread is to double bag them in black garbage bags and put them out in the sun for a couple of weeks to solarize the heck out of it.

As for the opinons of the YP flavor, it may be (a bit) bland, but it is a big hit with kids. I have had grandkids that preferred them over sungold, grape tomatoes or any other cherry. If it gets them interested in eating tomatoes, it does have redemptive qualities. And I think we have to admit that even yellow pear beats the heck out of most of the usual store bought tomatoes.

Betsy