Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How I planted my Tomatoes - Good?

Posted by behlgarden 9 (My Page) on
Wed, May 30, 12 at 11:44

After realizing issues of shallow planting and roots not getting deep enough, this season, all new tomato plants were burried 8 to 10 inches deep,
1. first used a tiller to till about 12-18 incies deep, make the soild really soft.
2. I added compost and manure to the tilled soil and tilled again.
3. I dug 8 to 10 inch holes for tomatoes, 24" apart. I know its a bit too close for Heirlooms but I like my plants supporting each other on the sides.
4. I added 1-cup of tomato tone fertilizer mixed with bone meal and calcium.
5. I ran a 1/4" drip line that has controlled water flow from a 4GPH dripper all the way to the bottom of the hole, this one for deep watering, tubing will stay below the roots.
6. I planted my tomato right over the bed of fertilizer and 1/4" drip line.
7. I ran second 1/4" drip line that is also controlled by 4GPH dripper. This line was somewhat 2" below the top of grade, and this one is to help top are of plant/roots to get moist, and also help in dissolving side dress fertilizers in the future.

All in all, I have controlled drip irrigation system where tomatoes get about 1" water per week and eggplants, peppers get aobut the same water.

1. When I sidedress with organic Tomatotone fertilizer, do you folks think that upper tubing will help the sidedressed fert to dissolve down? Plan is to sidedress 2" outside and 4" deep all around the main trunk of tomato plant.
2. How do you like my setup/planting this season?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How I planted my Tomatoes - Good?

Sounds extremely efficient and adequate. You shouldn't have any water or fertilizer problems, well done.

are you running the fertilizer through the drip line or is it not water soluble? if you fertilize with the drip line, you should be golden.

o
RE: How I planted my Tomatoes - Good?

I am using insoluble organic fertilizer Tomatotone. My only option is to sidedress unless later on I decide to do foliar spary of compost tea which I have no plans for. I am going to now mulch it heavily via grass clippings and organic compost.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here