Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Will these varieties grow in Texas?

Posted by ReedBaize 7 (My Page) on
Wed, May 16, 12 at 11:46

Hello,

New to the board and bringing a few questions.

1. I am currently growing in pots since I live in an apartment and don't have the ability to put raised beds in. I'm having good luck but will be converting to EarthBoxes next year. I've selected the following varieties and was wondering if anyone had experience with them in Texas. Feel free to share. They are:

a. Black Krim - I have some this season and plants are doing tremendously well but are not setting fruit. Too early? Too hot?

b. Purple Calabash - Developed in Texas so I thought they might work.

c. Mexico
d. Sun Gold Hybrid
e. Jetsetter VFFNTA Hybrid
f. Margherita VF Hybrid
g. Ceylon
h. Green Giant

How is the yield on these varieties in the heat? Taste? Any substitutions you would recommend? (Please state the variety to be substituted for.)

2. Has anyone had any experiences with EarthBoxes? How did they work for you? My grandparents have had TREMENDOUS luck with theirs so I thought they might work.

3. I've also considered growing Tomato P20 Blue as a novelty tomato. Thoughts? Experiences?

4. I'll be starting my seeds indoors with a broad-spectrum light/heat mat set up. What should my temperature be for the tomatoes? When should I plant my seeds?

Sorry to be so full of questions. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Will these varieties grow in Texas?

I should mention that I am in Stephenville, Texas.

o

Stephenville is about 50 miles southwest-ish of Fort Worth.

o

Whether they will grow or not will all depend on the size of your containers - if they are big enough or not - and if they are planted at the proper time - which in Texas was sometime ago.

Dave

o

digdirt, this thread is about next year. I'm planning and getting ready now. My containers are 5-gallon and working fine this year. I'm asking about EarthBoxes for NEXT year.

*Wishes people would read the whole post before replying sometimes.

o

I read the entire post and I didn't understand that all of your questions were about NEXT year. If you are having good luck this year with 5 gallon containers, then I would think you would have better luck with EarthBoxes. I would think you would be watering several times a day when the heat of summer arrives with a large plant in a small container like you have this year. Sungold and Black Krim are both favorites of mine.

o

Sorry but that isn't at all clear from your post, not to mention the unusual timing of the question (already choosing varieties for NEXT year) so my apologies.

The basic premise of your post title, that there are actually varieties that will NOT grow in Texas, is not valid and that was my point. There are no restrictions are varietal choices when they are given the correct growing conditions.

But there are some varietal choice restrictions when it comes to using Earthboxes. The standard recommendation from all of us who use Earthboxes is 2 dwarf or determinate varieties or 1 indeterminate per box for the most problem free results. Despite the manufacturer's claims 2 indeterminates in 1 box are very problematic. Sun Gold will be a huge plant followed closely by Jetsetter and Green Giant.

I think the list above is all indeterminates, right? So 8 Earthboxes? Otherwise you might want to switch out for some smaller varieties.

In many of the previous discussions here about EB (search will pull them up for you if interested) the use of a drip irrigation/auto watering system is also highly recommended as is regular supplemental feeding of a good quality liquid fertilizer (the original band of fert isn't sufficient).

There has also been much discussion about which soil-less mixes work best in them and which to avoid (ie. any of the Moisture Control mixes), the use of the lime additive vs. not using it, and insulating the boxes if using the black ones.

The Container gardening forum also has many discussions about them you might find helpful.

Dave

o
RE: more info

While many of us share the same growing conditions you have in your location, I should add that if you want info specific to Texas only then you may want to also post over on the Texas Gardening forum here at GW.

Dave

PS: thanks soonergrandmom. Glad it wasn't just me who didn't get it. :)

o

I apologize for my remarks if they sounded snarky. I am used to sports message boards where folks jump you at the first chance they get.

That said, I also should have been more clear in my original post as to my goals and objectives. I currently have a tremendous set of tomatoes but will be moving to EarthBoxes next year due to family member's success with them. I currently have Black Krim, Homestead, Better Bush, Big Rainbow, Cherokee Purple, Husky Cherry Red and Costoluto Genovese. Next year I'll be trying a separate group and, since I am coming into a sum of money in the next few weeks, I will be buying all my EarthBoxes, seeds, etc and storing until I start my seedlings in November. They'll go from there to my grandmother's greenhouse for about six weeks before going into the earthboxes outside.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here