Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
snappybob

Dry, Non-Juicey Tomatoes

snappybob
15 years ago

I get quized a lot by my friends and coworkers about tomato growing problems but this one has me stumped. A friend of mine asked why his tomatoes are dry on the inside this year as opposed to being juicey on the inside like they normally are. He uses drip irrigation and does not over or under water. The plants look good and the fruit looks good but when you cut into the tomato it's dry, has a rough texture and a bland taste. It seems as though for some reason the fruit is having a problem uptaking the available water. Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this? The problem is the same with all of the tomato varieties he is growing which are nothing exotic, roma, better boy, early girl and some cherry tomatoes. His peppers are fine as well as his beans. What ever it is it is only affecting the tomatoes. I'm very anxious to find the cause of the problem. Not only to fix his problem but to add something to my knowledge base for the future. Thanks in advance to all who can be of some help.

Comments (6)

• macheske
    15 years ago

I had a similar problem on a garden I had years back when I first started the garden. The bottom line is that I added a bunch of organic matter but most was wood chips. The nitrogen was going into decomposing the wood chips rather than feeding the plant. The next year I added some fertilizer and everything got better. Hope that helps.

• booberry85
    15 years ago

Maybe it's the variety. There are some tomatoes varieties that are designed to be dry for making sun dried tomatoes. An example would be Principe Bourgese.

• miesenbacher
    15 years ago

snappybob, was he growing his tomatoes in the ground and if so the same spot as the year before. Or was he growing them in containers and if so what kind of aggregate was he using?
    What if any amendments did he add to the soil or container aggregate. If soil grown what is the ph of the soil he's growing in. Alot of questions I know but there are alot of variables in growing tomatoes.

• lehua49
    15 years ago

Hi Snappybob,

I'm with M. Since you have good knowledge of growing tomatoes, a soil sample is in order. The test would cross off some of the variables for this one. Seems like some sort of nutrient deficiency to me since it crosses over to different varieties. This would show up in the sample test. A leaf sample test showing what is actually being taken up by the plant would be even better. Sorry $$. Good luck, sure would like to know what you find out on this one.

• snappybob
    Original Author
    15 years ago

This is his second season of growing tomatoes on this property. It's a sandy soil. I'm not sure how much of my preaching of soil amending he has taken to heart. A soil test was one of my recomendations also. I agree, a leaf test would be even better. Will they also test the fruit? Last year apparently he had a good crop. I would like to help him solve this problem because in a few years I will be moving my operations to some land that I own that has the same kind of soil. Thanks for the help, I will be relaying this nad any other info to him tomorrow.

• lehua49
    15 years ago

Hi Snappybob,
    The extension service in you area might know about testing different parts of the plant. They might know of this problem in your area too. Since it is cross variety,I don't know the type of area (rural or suburbs, etc) you live in, it might be a faint chemical over-spray from something like Roundup which is an enzyme-inhibitor or other hormone sprayed in the local area for some reason. Has anyone killed an area of grass in the area or sprayed something in an orchard near by. Again the extension people would be familiar with similar past experiences in your area. Just a thought. Local experts are best. Good luck in your investigation.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022