Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jolynn_2009

frost damaged

jolynn_2009
10 years ago

My tomatoes got some frost damage but are still alive. No damage to stems and most of the plant looks ok. This happened about two weeks ago and they've not shown any new growth since. Because I have VERY limited space, I don't want to keep them if they are not going to produce well when I could replace them with new plants. Should I replace, prune, remove the green toms that were already on them or what?

Comments (8)

• edweather USDA 9a, HZ 9, Sunset 28
    10 years ago

Hmmm.......it seems a bit odd that they wouldn't be showing "any" growth in 2 weeks if "most of the plant looks ok." I had a small plant that took a big hit from frost a couple of weeks ago, and it recovered fairly quickly and was growing ok after a few days of decent weather. I would definitely prune away the frost damaged parts. If the green tomatoes weren't frost damaged, I might leave them, but maybe if you remove a few of them it might spur new growth. Maybe someone else will offer a suggestion.

• Bets
    10 years ago

Some questions since more information would be helpful:

What variety are the plants? Some tomatoes just don't get as big as others.

How big are they now (inches or feet tall)? Along with the variety info, this might tell us if they have truly stopped growing or not.

What has the weather been like for the last two weeks? If you have had cooler than normal weather, they may just be sulking and will take off when the weather returns to normal.

Last year I planted out about 1/3 of my plants when it was pretty warm, then it turned cold and wet for about a month. The tomatoes I planted appeared to stall completely. I have plenty of room, so I left them and then planted out the rest of my plants when the weather turned warm again. The first planting took off and in a few weeks you couldn't tell the difference between them and the second planting. Mind you they were ALL behind where they normally should have been, but they did grow.

Also, if your tomatoes are determinates, removing the green tomatoes might mean you won't get much of a crop.

Betsy

• jolynn_2009
    Original Author
    10 years ago

To answer questions: the varieties are Mountain Pride, Patio, and Husky Cherry, all indeterminates. The biggest one, (Patio) was bout 15" high when I bought it and it still is. The others are about 8" high and still are the same. To me they look like they haven't grown at all, but cannot be 100% certain.

• Bets
    10 years ago

Ok, not an issue with them being plants that don't get big. How about the weather you've had for the last two weeks? Such as average nighttime lows and daytime highs? Rain and clouds? Hot and sunny?

At those stages, we would expect quite a bit of growth in two weeks unless the weather has been a factor. Although it could be that they are putting their energy into making fruits. Personally, I would probably remove the green tomatoes since the plants are less than two feet tall. That way they have a better chance of developing a good root system to support future growth. (They weren't root bound were they?)

Enquiring minds want to know....

Betsy

This post was edited by bets on Fri, May 31, 13 at 22:46

• jolynn_2009
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Not root bound. We were having temps in the 70s until last week, when it finally stopped raining and got into the 80s. They are in big pots rather than in the ground, if that makes a difference.

• Bets
    10 years ago

Ah... containers.

Are you feeding them? Plants that are grown in any kind of container will need feeding more often than plants that are grown in the ground because each time they are watered, the water run off carries away vital nutrients. Many container growers will use a dilute solution of a liquid fertilizer every week or so depending on the condition of the plant.

Betsy

• jolynn_2009
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No I've not fed them yet, but that's not the problem. I'm just wondering if frost damage that still leaves most of the plant looking ok is going to retard the growth of fruit later it the season. It's a significant question to me because I only have room for 4 plants and if they aren't going to produce much due to the frost, then I want to pull them out and replace them.

• Bets
    10 years ago

"I'm just wondering if frost damage that still leaves most of the plant looking ok is going to retard the growth"

It's possible. Tomato plants are susceptible to chilling injury at temperatures between 32 and 42 F. Chilling can cause stunted growth, wilting, surface pitting or necrosis of foliage, and increased susceptibility to disease. Low soil temperatures also stunt plant growth and prevent root development. Temperatures below 50 F during flowering can interfere with pollination and result in catfacing of fruit.

A lot depends on how cold they got and for how long. If you still feel they aren't growing and you have time to develop a crop on new transplants, then pull them. If you are getting real short on time.... give them a chance because new plants may not have enough time either.

Betsy

Here is a link that might be useful: The Effect of Extreme Temperatures on the Tomato and Pepper Crop

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!