Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Heirloom transplant is all flowers on top

Posted by seanmorr 8 OR (My Page) on
Tue, May 14, 13 at 12:29

I have a vorlon heirloom that I planted 3-4 weeks ago and had inside a wall of water
http://www.whiteflowerfarm.com/5221-product.html#.UZJmNaL1fSg

about 1.5 weeks ago I pulled the wall o water and plant looked good, plant about 14 inches tall. Added some fertilizer and lime to soil when I planted and in a raised bed with good soil. However the top has become all flowers, maybe 20+ buds and no leaves above the buds. I snipped 2/3 of the flower buds but now I'm concerned the plant might have been over stressed since it shot out so many flowers.
We did have 2 weeks or so of very warm weather for Portland in may with 80+ temps during the day. now we seem to be back to normal may weather. Its my only vorlon so not sure if I should try to get a new one and replant or let it go. Any advice appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Heirloom transplant is all flowers on top

If its your only one, and you think it's stressed because of the erratic flowering, why not leave it, and try to get fruit set for some seeds for next year? And if you want some this year to enjoy, get a new one like you said. But don't rip out the wack one just because you get a new one, if you do that.

I have no idea why that would happen in the first place, however.

o

Sounds to me like the growth point terminated with the flower cluster. This happens occasionally to my plants too, and I've never been able to figure out why it happens, either. It happened to one of my "Supersteak" tomato this season

That said, your plant will be okay, methinks. In my experience, when the main stem stops like that, a sucker or two takes over in place of the main growth point.

o

It is called "stunting". The plant itself is stunted and sets its terminals blooms. Stunting can be caused by several different stress factors but the most common is early exposure to overly cold air and/or soil temps. It is one good reason to avoid overly early planting out.

Dave

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here