Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Electric Bee/Pollinator: Where to buy in US

Posted by skoka123 (My Page) on
Mon, May 14, 12 at 12:39

Hello All,

One of my friends is visiting US for a short duration. I need to get an electric Bee. The kind that is used in Greenhouses for pollination of tomatoes (http://www.amazon.com/Hydro-Gardens-Pollinator/dp/B0007R576S/ref=sr_1_1?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1337012683&sr=1-1). Where can I buy them online? BTW, what is the exact term for it?

Thanks,
Srikanth

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Electric Bee/Pollinator: Where to buy in US

• Posted by bets z6A ID (My Page) on
    Mon, May 14, 12 at 12:53

Hi skoka123,

I have found that a battery operated tooth brush works well and costs quite a bit less. I usually just shake the plant vigorously, but when I wanted to use a mechanical device, when the bristles to one of ours got "funky" and need to be replaced, I'd relegate it to the garden. Right now we can buy "disposable" (can't change the brush head on them) battery operated toothbrushes for under $7-8 US.

I have seen them called Pollinating Wands. Unfortunately I can't recommend where to buy them online or offline. Yoy linked to one at Amazon / Hydro Gardens, why not order from them?

Betsy

o

Hi Betsy,

Thanks for your response. I have read that the frequency of the vibration of the pollinating wands is what makes the pollination successful. Due to this reason electric toothbrushes do not really add much value compared to not using any at all. I may be wrong with this information but that is what I remember reading in some books (can't recall which one). I believe the yield can increase by 20% when using a wand. Did you notice any % increase by using the toothbrush? In case I do not get a wand then I might try the toothbrush on some rows of tomatoes as an experiment.

The amazon link I gave does not give me details of the length and seriously lacks product information. If the wand is too long then it will not fit in my friend's suitcase.

Thanks,
Srikanth

o

Go to the link and scroll down. They have two different types.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pollinator

o

Hi miesenbacher,

Thanks for the link.

o

I have used an electric toothbrush for about five years now and always have excellent results from it, but- the high frequency ones are better than standard toothbrushes if you can get one at the right price, and used on the highest speed available-they produce absolute showers of pollen on the right high pollen days and quite a bit on dull low pollen days, and of course they are all re-chargable batteries, half an hour on the charger and away you go again.

o

Hello mickyfinn,

What brand and model of the toothbrush would you suggest? Did you use it in a greenhouse? Do you touch the bristles or back of the brush head to the trusses?

o

Any popular brand of toothbrush will do, but mine says Sonic on it. If you use the back of the toothbrush rather than the bristle side it seems to vibrate more and does a better job, the bristles seem to cushion the effect, any Sonic type toothbrush will do the job, and last for years.

o

OK. Thanks.

o

I grow tomatoes indoors hydroponically and I always use an electric toothbrush (sonic). The pollen goes everywhere and the results are excellent.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here