Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
flowers on tomatoes

Posted by citypigeon nj (My Page) on
Wed, May 28, 08 at 13:19

Hi - I am a new gardener and very excited about my three tomato plants (one is a bush type, one roma and one cherry). Last week I saw little yellow flowers on my very small plants. I pinched them back - now there are a lot more. Am I supposed to keep pinching them off? and if so, when do I stop? Any advice would be appreciated.
Citypigeon

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: flowers on tomatoes

Those flowers become tomatoes. Unless you want to grow just a tomato plant, you shouldn't pinched them back. Where are you getting information that you should pinch back ?

I think you might be mistaken or misinformed about pinching back the flowers during the first week of transplant, where the engergy is better well spent building up the plant first.

o

Agree. Can you explain to us why you think you need to pinch off the flowers? How long since the plants were planted?

Dave

o

OK thanks johnny. When I pinched back a few weeks ago, the plant was very tiny - I thought I read that if you pinch back the plant will use its energy to make a strong plant - Maybe I confused it with the suckers - Thanks - I will stop immediately (there are a lot of flowers now).
Citypigeon

o

Hi dig dirt - thanks - I couldn't find my book today and so I turned to the forum. I only picked off a few (last week). I am a new gardener. Promise not to pick any more.
City Pigeon

o

No problem - we all gotta learn. ;) Keep in mind that you have one bush variety and one roma - they are determinates so you don't remove the suckers on them either. That's where you get the fruit. Don't know about your cherry plant - some are determinates so don't do any pruning, and some are indeterminates. Depends on the specific variety whether you do any pruning on it or not.

review the FAQ here on Pruning - see the FAQ link on the forum front page. It will help you understand what to remove or NOT remove better.

Enjoy your plants.

Dave

o

Stupid question here, what exactly is a sucker? I'm not sure what I should be removing.

o

Play it safe - Don't remove anything unless it's crawling.

o

Hi, in response to this post I have a question. I have read that you can cut back everywhere stem 1/4 of an inch once a week and it will focus energy to grow more and better tomatoes. Is this true? I am not talking about pinching any suckers, just cutting 1/4 inch off of every other 'branch'. Thanks

Here is a link that might be useful: Nevada/Gardening Blog

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here