Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
BT that you can't see?

Posted by Julie717 7a OK (My Page) on
Sat, May 5, 12 at 13:37

Hi everyone--I had a problem with caterpillars eating my tomato fruits last year and I applied the BT powder too late to eat many of them myself. So I'm planning to apply it tonight since my plants are starting to put on some fruits.

The thing is, I hated the way the powder made my plants look so bad. The powder I have comes out of the applicator in big white clumps and blobs. I was wondering if the BT liquid sprays a) work as well as powder, and b) are invisible, or do they leave white stuff on the leaves, too? Thanks,

Julie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: BT that you can't see?

• Posted by bets z6A ID (My Page) on
    Sat, May 5, 12 at 13:48

The Bt liquids I have used left no visible residue and worked well on the catepillars I had. I also felt I got better coverage with the spray since you can spray the undersides of leaves but powdering the undersides is ... tricky.

I hope that helps.

Betsy

o

Thanks, Betsy. I have to do some garden shopping today so I'll look for the spray. I agree about trying to get the powder under the leaves--pretty much impossible.

o

• Posted by natal Louisiana 8b (My Page) on
    Sat, May 5, 12 at 17:35

I use a Dustin-Mizer. Flip the deflector to get the underside of the leaves.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dustin-Mizer

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here