Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
whocarezz

Goldilox Tomato info??

whocarezz
10 years ago

Anyone have details on Goldilox?
Got seed from WS.org, packet says it's a dwarf.
My plant is about 4' tall & still growing, looks more like a bush variety and has had complete blossom drop. Plant looks healthy.
I cannot seem to find much information on the internet about " GOLDILOX ". I did find a photo of the gold colored sauce and some reference to it as an F1 hybrid, that's about all?!

Seed was started Feb 19th in MG planter mix -72 deep star trays-, then transplanted to 4.5" deep pots filled with MG mix when 2nd set of true leaves popped out, planted out in raised planter on March 28-30.
Other tomato plants are 4- 6 feet tall & have marble to tennis ball size fruit and toms in pots (Moravsky Div) has fruit that is starting to blush..........

Comments (7)

• carolyn137
    10 years ago

Below is a Google search for Goldilox that might help, note the reference to it being related to Golden Dwarf Champion in the one link.

A dwarf variety is not exactly the same as what one would call a determinate variety.

Hope the link helps,

Carolyn

Here is a link that might be useful: Goldilox Google search

• whocarezz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yeah, thanks Carolyn;

I've tried most links, they have almost NO real info or revert to different spelling & variations of the name, can't find ANYWHERE that states Goldilox is a dwarf, have read one parent is/was Golden dwarf BUT, If it's HYBRID seed's that I received, then one would think it is not a STABLE variety, another (accidental?) cross or perhaps a stray seed.
    I have dwarf toms in pots (2 on the right) that are from the "dwarf project", they are now about 28" tall & doing quite well, Emerald Green has golf ball size fruit while Kelly Green is BB sized as of today, 5/13/13.

• carolyn137
    10 years ago

Well, at least I tried. And I went back and read 4 pages of the Google link and saw it on a few grow lists where the person wasn't growing any hybrids at all.

There was an earlier link to GW here where Trudi said she was growing it,''Since you got it from Trudi why don't you ask her if it's stable and if it's her seeds that you got rather than donated seeds.?

Carolyn

• happygardener23
    10 years ago

Subbing because I want to know what you discover.

I too got Goldilox seed from WS and will be growing it this season (I'm in zone 5 so I only have a seedling at this point). If nothing else, we can compare what we end up with and at least contribute some info to what's available about Goldilox online (which currently is very little)

• whocarezz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the reply Happy;
    I'm thinking mis-marked pkg. or stray seed!
    it's definitely NOT a dwarf!
    Plant is indeterminate, pushing 5' tall at this point, and has finally set some fruit, BUT, the small round tomatoes are very pale in color and appear to have "FUZZ".
    Looks like it may be a variety of 'Garden Peach'...............
    Oh well, gonna be fun to see what develops. Hopefully yours will be the correct variety, please let me know what kinda tomatoes you get.

T..........

• whocarezz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Dwarf Goldilox it ain't!
    Garden Peach it is................
    Ping Pong ball size, light yellow 2 oz. fruit with a slight peach blush and fuzz. plant is about 6' tall & quite prolific.
    Taste is average, IMHO, I will not grow it again....

T.........

• whocarezz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Dwarf Goldilox it ain't!
    Garden Peach it is................
    Ping Pong ball size, light yellow 2 oz. fruit with a slight peach blush and fuzz. plant is about 6' tall & quite prolific.
    Taste is average to bland, IMHO. I will not grow it again....

T.........