Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Low Acid tomatoes

Posted by dottyinduncan z8b coastal BC (My Page) on
Thu, May 31, 12 at 14:00

I love tomatoes but if I eat them I get mouth sores. Any suggestions for the best low acid tomato for me to grow? I am in the Pacific North West.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Low Acid tomatoes

This thread has a chart showing ph of many tomatoes, its down at the bottom of the thread.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/tomato/msg081645247923.html

o

Unfortunately, the chart isn't available to me.

o

o

• Posted by spfx none (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 1, 12 at 0:20

I don't know how they will do out there in the northwest but my favorite low acid tomato is German Johnson. Their is also a German Queen too. I am trying to grow some in containers and i am a little worried about them so i don't know if i would recommend them for containers till i see how they do but they are a great tasting low acid tomato that is sweet.

o

The range shown on that chart is very narrow and doesn't really indicate pH's higher than the about 4.5 or so that have been shown for some varieties. The higher the pH number the lower the acidity.

There are few varieties that have been documented to have low acid, Jet Star F1 is one of them, there are a few others as well, but I just don't have the time right now to go searching.

Most pastel colored varieties are said here and there to have low acid, but they don't, it's just that the higher sugar content masks the normal pH.

I'm sure some of you who can tomatoes have seen the warning with Jet Star F1, for instance, which advises adding citric acid or what ever, and that acidification was also expanded to all tomatoes to be canned. The reason being that if the open water bath method is used, an acidic environment is necessary to inactivate any botulism spores that might be there.

Dotty, you may be having an allergic response to some of the antigens ( proteins) in tomatoes and it may not be related to the pH of varieties. Just a possibility I'm bringing up. If you do a search here at GW I know you'll come up with other threads where allergies to tomatoes has been discussed.

Carolyn

o

Thanks for the responses. The chart came up well on your link Missing. I'll check out the German varieties for this area and will look at the allergies. I wonder too if I am using too much salt...darn it, I love tomato sandwiches so I'll have to experiment. Thanks again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here