Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lisafrommaryland

Need help narrowing the list

lisafrommaryland
10 years ago

I am swimming in tomato seedlings over here that I've started from seed! Then my kids and I visited Tomatomania at our nursery and left w/ 3 more (Beefmaster, Hillbilly, Boxcar Willy). I have more varieties than I have garden space/containers for. I always grow more than I need but I like giving tomatoes to family/friends/neighbors--any varieties stand out that you would pass on?

Super Sweet 100
Black Cherry
Sungold
Park's Whopper
Steak Sandwich Hybrid
Black Krim
Cherokee Purple
Bloody Butcher
Brandy Boy

This post was edited by lisafrommaryland on Mon, May 6, 13 at 16:32

Comments (7)

• Bets
    10 years ago

Hi Lisa,
    You said "any varieties stand out that you would pass on?" Do you mean good varieties that you'd be proud to gift your friends with? Or do you mean "What tomatoes should I pass off to unsuspecting or unknowing friends/victims?" LOL!

Of your list, I'd rank Sungold then Black Cherry as the top cherries. Of the others I recommend Black Krim and Cherokee Purple (equally) followed by Bloody Butcher.

I have not grown (or eaten AFAIK) the Super Sweet 100, Park's Whopper or Steak Sandwich Hybrid, so I don't know what to tell you about those. Kinda why I wondered what you giveaway criteria was. ;)

Betsy

• lisafrommaryland
    Original Author
    10 years ago

haha! Oops--I mean tomatoes that you would omit from the list! Then I can "pass on" those seedlings to unsuspecting neighbors :)

• pasco
    10 years ago

pass on all but the sungold, bloody butcher and parks whopper.

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Steak Sandwich. Tried it for 2 years with low production and minimal flavor.

Park's Whopper gets mixed reviews. Personally I think it is ok but it isn't a "great" tomato and I know many don't care for it.

Bloody Butcher is good for me since it is very early but that is all it has going for it.

Best on the list IMO (not necessarily in order) - Sungold, Brandy Boy, Black Krim, Cherokee Purple.

Dave

• lisafrommaryland
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you everyone. I was thinking to nix Parks Whopper and Sweet 100 from the git-go based on my research. I will follow Dave's suggestion and omit Steak Sandwich as well. I researched online on my selections, but I really value the opinions here on gardenweb. I have grown 100s for the past 4 years and are happy with them, but you can only grow so many cherries and I am willing to try different varieties. I have heard excellent things about Sungold and Black Cherries, and I am ready to try something new as far as cherries go.

This post was edited by lisafrommaryland on Mon, May 6, 13 at 22:25

• qaguy
    10 years ago

Personally, I'd do it the other way around. Drop Sungold
    and Black Cherry.

Big help, huh?

Everyone has different tastes. But I think if you've got one
    you're happy with, like Sweet 100, keep with it.

• monet_g
    10 years ago

My vote would be exactly as Dave's. I'm one of those people that didn't care for Black Cherry, but you should try it yourself. Some people love it.

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm