Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jessisok

Hardening Off Seedlings IN Garden?

jessisok
9 years ago

This year, I started my sweet little seedlings from seed. I dutifully kept them warm and well-lit, hardened them off like a good gardener should, and finally after weeks of nurturing them, set them free to make their own way in my garden. They were happy for the first several days, growing and looking great. Then I went out to the garden yesterday and the leaves are just gone on 3 of the 6 that I planted. I'm not gonna lie--I cried a little at the loss.

My first question is, what do you think got them? Do you think it was birds, bunnies, or bugs?

My second question is (and bear with me--I know this sounds totally junky looking, but it would only be temporary), do you think this could work? I planted some extra seedlings, so they can go in the place of the lost ones. I'm planning to wrap my tomato cages in 1" mesh to keep out critters until the plants get bigger. Here's the part where it gets junky: Could I cover part of the tomato cages with a colored (not black, not clear) plastic bag to make it so the seedlings get morning sun? As they get more used to the sun, I could move the bags further and further back on the cages until eventually the bag comes off. Obviously, I'd have to water them by hand to get under the bag (or just take the bags off while I water). I just want to get them into the garden as soon as I can because it's already a few weeks later than it should be (mostly because it's been cold here in Nebraska).

Thank you!

Comments (4)