Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Brandywine volunteers just like parent tomatoes?

Posted by carol6ma_7ari zones 6 %26 7a (My Page) on
Sun, May 25, 14 at 14:41

About a zillion tomato volunteer (self-seeded) plants have shown up in last year's Brandywine bed (this year to be butternut squash). I don't know if these will be true Brandywine variety heirloom tomato plants, if I let some survive my ruthless weeding. Will these be Brandywines?

Carol

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Brandywine volunteers just like parent tomatoes?

• Posted by digdirt 6b-7a North AR (My Page) on
    Sun, May 25, 14 at 15:10

Unless they were cross pollinated by something else.

There are a number of cultivars with Brandywine as part of their name so it would depend in part on exactly which one you planted. But the odds are approx. 9:1 that they will be true to what you planted there last year.

Dave

o

How many plants in what you call your Brandywine bed and how far from any other tomatoes you were growing?

All to say that I agree with Dave, and wanted to add that each year I used to dig up maybe 10 volunteers and plant them in a differrent place and then tried to ID them, even when I knew from my plot plan what I might have expected.

I seldom could ID the volunteers.

When fruits drop to the gound in the Fall,some of those seeds are availableto birds,who love them, and they can deposit them in places far away from where they got them from.

So no way to know what you might get until you grow them out.

Some varieties with Brandywine as part of the name have PL foliage, some don't, and you can't even go on that for a possible ID if someof the seeds in the Fall were X pollinated, as Dave said.

But do share with us which specific Brandywine you grew in that bed last year.

Carolyn

o

Oh, what happened to my botany knowledge? Of course! the seedlings have 2 parents, so with the other tomato varieties only 4-8 ft. away from the Brandywine (don't know specifics of cultivar; bought the seedlings at a local plant & flower store), the chances are good that the babies are all a mix. Right now the 3 inch high seedlings don't have typical potato-leaf foliage. I'll save a couple and plant them at the end of the newly located tomato bed, and we'll see.

Thanks for your advice.

Carol

o

Carol, if some of your volunteers are Bandywines, then they are OP and stable and don't have two parents.

But if some of your volunteers turn out not to look and walk and talk as a true Brandywine would, then it resulted from X pollination and would indeed have two parents.

Without knowing if your original plant called Brandywine was true Brandywine with PL foliage or Red Brandywine,which has RL foliage, I guess you are in for a mystery. ( smile)

Let us know how it all turns out.

Carolyn

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here