Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ilovemyroses

New to tomatoes...is this realistic ??

ilovemyroses
10 years ago

I have access to a dozen or more nursery heavy plastic containers, 27.5 gallon size, approximately 24 inches across (round) and 18" tall. I would like to grow tomatoes in these, so as not to take so much space up in my new raised vegetable beds. I plan to do drip irrigation and import soil from a reputable supplier. Full day sun, no problem.

Question. What about crop rotation. I presume the first year would be fine, but will the soil need major amendments so as to be supportive of the same crop spring and fall? What/how do I amend? If rotation is recommended, what might you recommend to rotate with it, preferably that is tall and/or vining? Or, is this not a worry. Seems years ago I grew tomatoes great one year, and never again.

Thanks!!!

Comments (2)

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

27.5 gallon size, approximately 24 inches across (round) and 18" tall.

Given those dimensions are you sure about the gallon size? Normally a 24" diameter 18" deep pot will hold approx. 38-40 qt. of potting mix or 8-10 gallons. It's dry mix vs. liquids.

Either way they are big enough for a single tomato plant but be sure to use a soil-less mix, not soil in them. That is standard for containers regardless of size.

Normally one doesn't "rotate crops" with containers. Instead you just refresh the mix in the containers between plantings. Not that you can't rotate - you can of course but it normally isn't necessary. If you do just don't plant things from the same family - tomatoes, potatoes, eggplant. Instead plant leafy greens, squash, even peppers.

You can learn all the details on container growing including make-you-own mix recipes and how to refresh it the following year over on the Container Gardening forum here. Look at the posts for the 5-1-1 mix and be sure to check out all the discussions on feeding container plants as well. Linked it below for you.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Container Gardening forum

• ilovemyroses
    Original Author
    10 years ago

digdirt, thanks, I will check out that forum, i just assumed it was for containers of geraniums and such!

I just checked the containers, and they are stamped #25 27.50 gallons / 104.10 liters. They are measured correctly, as to what the stamping denotes, I don't know!

I will investigate the soilless mixes. I am familiar with mel's mix, don't know if this is what you are referring to, but i will check out the 5 1 1 mix. At first thought, throwing out that much mix each season seems too wasteful, so rotation may be my answer, or amending. I am sure I will learn more over there, too.

Thanks for the input!

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting