Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
holly1253

tomatoe seedlings are yellowing with viens green

Holly1253
9 years ago

I have always grown plants from seeds in pots but in NH not here in Fl. They are on my screened lanai I used garden mix soil and water when needed but they are yellowing weirdly like I've never seen and I don't know what to do.

Comments (13)

• jean001a
    9 years ago

Need nitrogen?

Lets see pictures please.
    And tell us what you filled the pots with.

• Holly1253
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I will try to upload pic later. I font remember mix type but I used for squash peppers and beans as well and they are ok.

• Holly1253
    Original Author
    9 years ago

These are my plants....

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

Nutrient deficiency for sure and very likely over-watering or poorly draining mix as well.

You said on lanai so in containers? And "garden mix soil"? In containers any sort of "soil" compacts and causes drainage problems. If you used Miracle Grow Garden Soil is says on the bag "Not for Use in Containers".

Otherwise need more info please. Size of container? Potting mix used? Fertilizers used? Watering regimen? etc.

Dave

• Holly1253
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It said a garden mix and my other plants are in a "portable" garden container and ok. It was r miracle grow it was in a yellow bag from home Depot. Started them from seeds. I water by container when soils dry into soil not on plant. They get about 3 hrs direct sunlight. Pots r maybe 6 X 6 plants maybe 7 inches tall

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

Sorry but I feel like I'm pulling teeth here. :)

1) Miracle Grow Garden Soil (the yellow bag) says not for use in containers on the bags. It need to be replaced with a proper soil-less potting mix.

2) if you mean 6 they inch x6 inch containers are far too small for tomato plants to grow in. So the plants are probably rootbound and need to be transplanted into much larger containers anyway.

3) If you mean 6 feet x 6 feet for this "portable garden container" is that what the tomatoes are in or "other" plants.

4) what have you fed them? What fertilizers? This is the primary problem shown in the photo.

5) 3 hours of sun is only 1/2 of what they need to survive much less thrive. 6-8 hours minimum is needed. That is the next most important issue.

6) I water by container when soils dry Soil should be allowed to dry. Tomatoes require low levels of consistent moisture in the soil. If you mean the surface is dry then you need to stick your fingers down in it and keep it very lightly moist at the root level.

Dave

• kathyb912_in (5a/5b, Central IN)
    9 years ago

FYI, I bought some MG potting mix this weekend in a yellow bag. I did a triple take to make sure I was reading the bag right. (They were green just a couple weeks ago!) So hopefully the OP's store got in the new bag, too, and those seedlings are in potting mix and not garden soil in their containers. Definitely check your bag to see what you got.

• Holly1253
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm going back to Home Depot today to check the bag I'm sure it's not Miracle Grow. I fed them Jobs tomato fertilizer in the stick form. Not much I can do about the sun Unfortunately wish there was. Yes the pots are 6 inch squared was waiting to transplant til they were bigger.

• gin_gin
    9 years ago

Those Jobes sticks are going to take a while to dissolve. I'd apply a light dose of liquid fertilizer now.

Where in Florida are you? Depending on how far south you are, it might be too hot/humid soon for tomatoes. (If it isn't already.) My mom is in South FL Z10, and down there they grow tomatoes over the winter.

• Holly1253
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I am in Naples so maybe it is too hot/humid? I still see them being sold however although I guess that means nothing

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Holly 1253
    Your first post was made just 3 days ago. When did you pot your plant, exactly ? It will take some time for the plants to get adjusted, start growing more roots, grabbing the soil and taking up the nutrients you have provided. In this regard, probably there is nothing wrong with your potting soil and the fertilizer. Just give it more time. JMO

• edweather USDA 9a, HZ 9, Sunset 28
    9 years ago

I thought the season for growing tomatoes in FL was in the winter.

I'll need to figure this out because we'll most likely be moving down there in a couple of years.

• Holly1253
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I couldn't find the bag I bought of soil go figure. I picked up a fertilizer you mix with water today to see if that helps
    I started growing them end of March so it's probably been around 2 months that the plants have been growing.

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County