Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mbrowne_gw

Husky Cherry Red problem

mbrowne
9 years ago

Hi all,

My 2 otherwise fairly healthy HCRs have a couple of wilty-looking areas.

It seems to be doing well overall:

In a couple places, it's doing this:

We've had a few triple-digit days, I don't think I'm overwatering, and the yard seems pretty protected from herbicide by 6' privacy fencing. I'd appreciate any thoughts.

Comments (6)

• labradors_gw
    9 years ago

It looks as if maybe the one branch got broken. Could you investigate further? The rest of the plant looks extremely healthy

Linda.

• seysonn
    9 years ago

A lot of times newer growth wilt under hot sun. But should perk up later. If it didn't then there is another cause.

BTW: in addition to wilting It looks like some of the leave are also curling. I would check the leaves closely.

• DHLCAL
    9 years ago

Likely just the heat causing the plant to be unable to get water to the top new growth. My plants (in Southern Cal) did that during our recent heat wave. Most recovered with watering and the arrival of evenings but a few of the leafs wilted/died permanently, probably because it took me too long to notice-- in the triple digit dry heat + wind here that took about 6-8 hours.

Unless the rest of the plant starts showing more symptoms now that we've cool down a bit, I would just chalk it up to the heat and maybe to remember checking on the plants a little meow often during the next hear wave and offer some shade and/or water.

• centexan254 zone 8 Temple, Tx
    9 years ago

I would not worry about it. I have 3 of them planted. It seems as it sets, and ripens fruit a part of it near there will die off. Then a new branch, or one of the smaller branches pops out, and fattens up. More buds form, and fruit sets. Last year I gave one up for dead. I removed it from the container, and planted it in a hole I dug out. My wife ate over 80 more off of it before frost hit. It was giving off 5 to 10 fruit from one sick looking branch. After they ripened it died off. A new branch would pop out with fruit to follow.

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Bump and more

I am also growing one of these.
    I think the "cherry" in the name is most inappropriate. The fruits on mine are 1.5 to 2 oz and still not ripe yet. I planted mine way too late. The fruits are the size of Matina , Silvery Fir Tree and Bloody Butcher fruits. So NO cherries here.

It is a compact bush type. I like it a lot so far. But have to wait and taste the fruit. It make an excellent container/patio plant.

So this is the moments of truth. Let's see how yours are doing and do taste.

This post was edited by seysonn on Fri, Aug 15, 14 at 9:39

• seysonn
    9 years ago

The Moment of Truth.

Finally I got the first ripe fruit from my HCR.

As I have said it before, the word "Cherry" here is most ridiculous. The fruit weight exactly 4 oz, bigger than Bloody Butcher, Matina, Stupice, Early Treat and it is 12 times bigger than Sun Gold.

Here is a picture. It is the red one in the front of Ananas Noire and CP next to some cherries.