Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ediej1209

Frost last night :^(

ediej1209 AL Zn 7
10 years ago

It was not forecasted for our area to get cold enough to frost, but it sure enough did. My next door neighbor came pounding on my door at 6:30 this morning and on his suggestion, I got out there with the hose and washed the frost off of my plants before the sun hit them. Not sure if that will help or not -- about how long should I expect it to be before I can tell how extensive the damage is? If there is damage, anything I can do to mitigate the worst of it?
Thanks,
Edie

Comments (9)

• edweather USDA 9a, HZ 9, Sunset 28
    10 years ago

That sucks. You should be able to tell in a day or so if the damage is bad. From the last frost that nipped one of my plants the damage was visible in a few hours. There's all kinds of frost and freeze warnings around us for the next two nights, but not us specifically. But after what you reported, I'll be keeping a close eye on it.

• hoosier40 6a Southern IN
    10 years ago

You would know within the day if it was serious. The leaves would turn black and go limp. Nothing you could really do except remove the affected foliage and hope keeps putting on new growth.

• sharonrossy
    10 years ago

Which is why I haven't planted yet! Of course it hasn't stopped raining out, which is another reason. It's been about 45 degrees for the last few days and cooler in the evenings. I hope this isn't an indication of our summer!
    Sharon

• ediej1209 AL Zn 7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, thanks to my neighbor. we only lost a few leaves. Whew!! We covered everything last night just in case, but it didn't frost, and after tonight the overnight lows are supposed to be in the 60's.
    I do hope that the weather will cooperate the rest of the season!

Edie

• caryltoo Z7/SE PA
    10 years ago

Just curious, does rinsing off the frost with a hose really help? It sounds like your plants have survived, which is great.

• luke_oh
    10 years ago

Well, we covered all of our transplants and strawberries the last 3 nights here in NE Ohio, though last night we had no frost. My wife gets an E Mail from the garden center she works with advising of any frost alert. Pretty nice. As far as spraying the plants with water before the sun hits them, I understand the spraying of water prevents damage from rapid evaporation of the frost on the plant when it is warmed by the sun causing the leaves to dehydrate and die. I hope you can follow my sketchy explanation. I have often sprayed my orchard, in bloom, before the sun comes up. It has always worked for me. Luke

• luke_oh
    10 years ago

Well, we covered all of our transplants and strawberries the last 3 nights here in NE Ohio, though last night we had no frost. My wife gets an E Mail from the garden center she works with advising of any frost alert. Pretty nice. As far as spraying the plants with water before the sun hits them, I understand the spraying of water prevents damage from rapid evaporation of the frost on the plant when it is warmed by the sun causing the leaves to dehydrate and die. I hope you can follow my sketchy explanation. I have often sprayed my orchard, in bloom, before the sun comes up. It has always worked for me. Luke

• luke_oh
    10 years ago

Not sure how I managed to repeat my post 3 times?? Sorry, must have had a senior moment or two.

• ediej1209 AL Zn 7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Duplicate - deleted. Sorry!

This post was edited by ediej1209 on Wed, May 29, 13 at 15:35

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!