Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bigpinks

Old Fashioned Goliath

bigpinks
10 years ago

Typically round, 10-14 oz hybrid that is very productive. Neighbor just gave me 7 of these and I just wondered if anyone grows this variety? I now have 73 tomatoes in the ground. The people at the folks church and the girls at the library should get their fill. So glad tomato time is here.

Comments (2)

• carolyn137
    10 years ago

If it's an F1 it must be one of the many Goliaths offered at Totally Tomatoes, of which there are many,and as I recall all F1's.

THey may call it Old Fashioned, but the original Goliath is an OP heirloom and I've linked to Tania's page for it where you can see it's from the last century,

Nope, I haven't grown any F1 Golaith's. ( smile)

Carolyn

Here is a link that might be useful: Orginal Goliath

• bigpinks
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yeah I've posted about these tomatoes a few times before. Neighbor puts out several hundred od these to market by tailgate' I grew the one you referenced last yr and it was big but not very productive...oblate or beefsteak whatever. Neighbor's fruit seem to be right against the stake in clusters of three or four about baseball size. I have Park's Wopper also and have grown Better Boy many times so I will have easy time in comparing these tomatoes. I read somewhere that people in the south compare this hybrid favorably to Big Beef. We'll see!

Sponsored
Steadfast Construction
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Arlington County's Experienced Custom Deck Builder I Best of Houzz