Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dying from the bottom up - what am I doing wrong?

Posted by tomatotomata 10 (My Page) on
Fri, May 27, 11 at 16:01

The leaves turn yellow; they don't fall off, but I usually pick them off so the plant looks better. This has happened to every tomato plant I've ever grown, both in the ground and in pots, and in various climates. So the problem must be me.

I usually get a pretty good crop of fruit, but the plants lose most of their leaves and quit producing earlier than the garden books say they should. I live in S. CA, so I would like to get fruit well into fall, maybe early winter. Any thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dying from the bottom up - what am I doing wrong?

I feel that the problems are drainage issues of the soil, and also over-watering....

EG

o

It is normal for the leaves on tomato plants to die off from the bottom up as the plant grows. So how old of plants are we talking about? Post-production plants or ones just planted?

"Southern CA fruit well into fall or early winter" wouldn't be normal. You are lucky to have 2 separate tomato growing seasons while much of the rest of the country only has one but mid-summer isn't one of them normally. Your planting and ideal growing times are very different from much of the country.

Maybe in the northern zones, but even here a spring planted tomato plant won't set fruit and continue production well into fall. It is just to hot to set fruit, you get blossom drop, plants get stressed from the heat, pests and disease. That's why we plant fresh plants in mid-late July so they will kick into production once the weather breaks in the fall.

Dave

o

Agree with engineered...........plants are likely DROWNING.

Try heavy watering, but only once every 5-7 days.

o

Parts of SoCal have been unusually cool this year like it was last year. However I'm in zone 9b and would have to agree with digdirt if your temps have been high. Tomatoes tend to suffer in the heat of summer in zone 10.

o

• Posted by bets z5A ID (My Page) on
    Sun, May 29, 11 at 10:40

tomatotomata,

Dave knows his tomato culture, so I agree with him. But it is also possible that you are overwatering since that is the most common problem people have with tomatoes. (It can also make them less flavorful and more prone to cracking.)

GardenWebber sprouts_honor (Jennifer from Cleveland) had a wonderful suggestion on how to tell whether or not you need to water your tomatoes, and I quote here: "Get a wooden dowel rod (or two) and sink it in the ground near a plant or two and leave it. Pull it out when you think you need to water. If the top is dry and the bottom is a little damp, it's time to water. If it looks dark and feels saturated, wait to water. I use this technique with potted plants that don't like being over watered and it's helpful with in ground plants too."

Good luck!

Betsy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here