Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Potassium Bicarbonate for blight

Posted by greengrass1 (My Page) on
Mon, May 14, 12 at 16:08

I have read that potassium bicarbonate is effective against blight. Green cure which contains pb is called out in most discussions. However, green cure cost 3 or 4 times more than just plain pb.

Does plain pb work against blight or should I spend the extra money for professional product containing pb? Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Potassium Bicarbonate for blight

green, blight is just a general word that many folks use to describe a sick tomato plant, but it doesn't indicate the specific disease(S) that you're trying to deal with.

Is it one of the common foliage diseases such as Early Blight ( A. solani) or Septoria Leaf Spot or one of the two bacterial ones such as Bacterial Speck or Bacterial Spot?

Or is it something more than that such as a systemic soilborne disease such as Southern Blight, Fusarium, Verticillium and there are several more. it would also help to know where you garden since not all tomato pathogens are present in all areas of the US.

So perhaps best to ID a specific disease first.

I know that NA bicarbonate is some what effective for some flowering plants, for mold diseases, but has not been effective for the fungal tomato foliage diseases. And I've not heard of anyone mentioning K bicarbonate although yes, NA bicarbonate.

Hope that helps.

Carolyn

o

greengrass1, here are a couple of links to excellent lists (with photos and some info) of a few dozen tomato diseases and some other conditions. Perhaps you could use them to pinpoint the possible problem(s) you have in mind:

Cornell's tomato disease diagnostic

(Click on the labels on the plant diagram to see problems with that part of the plant.)

Texas A&M's Tomato Problem Solver

o

Thanks for responses.

My tomatoes look great up until mid july when early blight becomes obvious.

This yr I have resolved to take an early stand and would like to keep it organic. I have received a pkt of actinovate and I would also like to spray with sodium bicarbonate. Some have reported decent results.

There are some potassium bicarbonates marketed specifically as fungal cures such as green cure. The there is just plain old sodium bicarbonate which is fairly cheap. I was wondering if plain old pb is same as the stuff marketed for gardens.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here