Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
johns_coastal_patio

trellis built

Thanks for the design ideas, guys. I ended up going with 1/2" conduit, with stands so it would work on the patio. The stands are built so that they can take a sandbag on front, and I will probably do that.

First you start with your dad's old 25 cent pipe cutter.

Then you figure out how to bring 10 foot conduits home in a Prius.

Build yourself some bases.

And put them up.

The whole thing is a little over 8' by 8'.

Comments (12)

• lucillle
    9 years ago

It is a nice trellis, but did you anchor it in the ground as well as use bases? With just the bases, I don't see how it could not fall over away from the wall once the weight of the tomatoes are on it.

• fireduck
    9 years ago

diagonal bracing gives sheer support (side-to-side).

• johns.coastal.patio
    Original Author
    9 years ago

You are right that it isn't a rock solid arrangement. The bases are big though, built from some scrap 2x6's. With the cross-feet they are pretty stable, and the forward-back length from the wall is 30 inches.

I think I know where I saw some free sandbags ...

• seysonn
    9 years ago

I think with those cross T feet it will be pretty stable.

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

What are you going to use fro the trellis/string part of the support John.

Dave

• johns.coastal.patio
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I just tied some hemp (or sisal? something soft) lines. Bowlines on the stem, a few wraps, and a quick release hitch on top. It looks like if I support the majors, the minors will be held in. We'll see.

I did notice when I was on the ladder that my Super Sweet 100 isn't setting fruit as reliably up on top. I was overdue for a 2 week feeding ... don't know.

• johns.coastal.patio
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The completed effort.

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Looking good, John. You can drop as many string as needed, one for each stem. You can also run horizontal lines to contain the branches.

• slowjane CA/ Sunset 21
    9 years ago

john - very nice! i'm using a similar trellis set up - strings dropped from conduit frame, though mine isn't as tall - will your plants hit the top and if so what will you do? top them or let them drape back down?

• johns.coastal.patio
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I am not sure, slowjane ;-). Deferred decision making. (Probably let them go.)

• FrancoiseFromAix
    9 years ago

Congrats Johns, you built a nice set up for your toms !

I admired all the stuff you guys build for your toms and spent my winter months dreaming about your various ways.

Finally, as I have two left hands and a job that keeps me too busy for my taste, I decided to let my plants do as they like.

I guess it'll end up with crawling toms on boxes.

And more mockery and hypocrite smiles from my neighbors.

Well never mind, anyway I sucked so much from the start that the 50 ones which survived out of 210 seeds have gone through a real darwinian selection ;-)

I assume those 50 ones are pretty life loving toms who can take care of themselves alone.

But I'll never stop admiring your dexterity !

• johns.coastal.patio
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Francoise ... I could post a close up that shows how I sometimes miss a nail with a hammer by a country mile ;-)

(The important joints are screwed, but the feet are nailed on.)

This post was edited by johns.coastal.patio on Mon, Jun 2, 14 at 11:12