Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
courtneysgarden

Yellowing lower leaves

courtneysgarden
10 years ago

Guessing this is some sort of deficiency? Magnesium maybe? Or is it blight or am I watering too much perhaps? I water every other day or so as its pretty hot & windy here. Never planted tomatoes in this container before. Planted in a part shady part sunny spot - Isis Candy variety with strong vigorous growth, lots of flowers and some developing fruit, but yellowing leaves started a couple days ago with a few brown dry patches now but no spots. I don't use fertilizer but I do top dress occasionally with compost, azomite & worm castings, and mulch with pine needles, leaves, yard clippings & used coffee grounds.

Comments (10)

• courtneysgarden
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Closer view

• courtneysgarden
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Well if you don't use fertilizer I'm not sure what you can do about the nutrient deficiency there. Very difficult to grow in containers without them since the nutrients leach out every time you water the plants.

Since you are using worm casting then surely you must mean you won't use synthetic fertilizers? But why not use at least liquid organic fertilizers?

I do top dress occasionally with compost, azomite & worm castings, and mulch with pine needles, leaves, yard clippings & used coffee grounds.

All well and good (although not much N or micros) and the plant sure needs some, but those will only provide nutrients the plant can use if there is an active soil food web in the container. Are you adding bacteria to the soil or how are you compensating for the lack of a micro herd?

Would suggest cutting back on the watering, removing any affected foliage like the 2 leaves in the second photo. and find some way to feed the plant.

Dave

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Compost and worm castings are very low in nutrient. I would consider them GOO soil amendment not a source of fertilizer. That is why your plant is prioritizing its means and resources by aborting the lower leaves and conserving its energy to the most vital parts and fruit growth.

• courtneysgarden
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the help, sounds like I need to get my plant some nutrients! Not against fertilizer, just dont use chemical fertilizers since I'd likd to keep it organic- will try to find something natural that will help. And ease off on the watering too. Thank you!

• seysonn
    10 years ago

There are plenty of "Organic" fertilizers. Even Big Box Stores' shelves are packed with them. In fact there are more of those than synthetic counter parts.

One clarification:
    Every fertilizer is "chemical", be it organic or inorganic (synthetic). Everything that there is , is made of from the elements in The Periodic Table = chemical

This post was edited by seysonn on Sun, May 11, 14 at 2:10

• 2ajsmama
    10 years ago

Fish emulsion (I use Neptune's Harvest) or something like Espoma's Tomatotone.

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Not against fertilizer, just dont use chemical fertilizers since I'd likd to keep it organic- will try to find something natural that will help.

"Keeping it organic" is fine but for it to work you have to first understand how organic supplements work and don't work - especially in containers.

Dave

• sheltieche
    10 years ago

Being organic gardener simply means you wonôt use certain things in your garden. In my mind it is not equal to better. I much rather think of myself as biological gardener, one who uses understanding of the soil, its needs and distribution of nutriens.
    Container gardening is way different that gardening in ground.
    I second Neptune for foliar feeds. Love the stuff! I use mixture of fish, seaweed and molasses added for sugars. Everyone has their favorites as for NPK feeds, mine is Grow Big from Fox farms 6-4-4 till the plants start fruiting and then I switch to Amaze from Ag Lab 5-16-4 after fruit set.

• seysonn
    10 years ago

I believe "organic" when it comes to fertilizers is MOSTLY an environmental concern and issue. The plants won't make distinction as what the source of NPK is nor veggie/fruit produced by either one will b any different as far as health and safety is concerned.
    That is just my personal understanding.