Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
salthart

Favorite determinate types ?

salthart
11 years ago

Weather called for a 30% chance of rain. Didn't say anything about storms or hail. The storm formed almost on top of me and so by the time I knew what was going on, damage had been done.

I took off for the seed trays right away I was soaked before i made it two steps. This storm is what's known locally as a "toad Strangler" I grabbed up the two trays and ran for the cover of the porch. I was covered with potting mix by the time I made it. All of 15 feet.

I got them to safety went back out in the rain to remove the mix and then got inside because lightening is quick and I'm to slow to stop fast !

Anyway, One tray had 144 cells of Kellogg's breakfast and NH Surecrop seedlings. Most many were up and an inch or so high. Not sure of the loss as yet. The second tray was I believe 84 cells of Rutgers that were started yesterday. No way to know how much seed was washed out other than allowing time to see what sprouts. I hate to even look and see what the hail did to the sprouts.

So I sit here waiting for the storm to pass and thinking about the list I have put together from input given by you. There don't seem to be a determinate type in that list.

So now I'm looking for a determinate tomato that is known for good yields and has a good tomato flavor. Don't have to be tart, just not bland please.

If anyone has Mott's Clamato juice tomato seed, I WANT SOME ! LOL Seriously, I'd love the recipe if anyone has a good copycat for this stuff.

All I could ever ask for then would be a salt shaker bush to grow beside them !

Comments (8)

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

Sorry for all your losses but I gotta ask why all these just seeded and just sprouted trays were outside to begin with?

As for best determinates, link below is to a long discussion about this very question over the past couple of years with about 200 suggestions in it - not to add to your choices or anything. :)

Also check out all the BHN varieties. I'm also trying a new one this year called Bella Rosa for the first time.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Best determinate tomato

• salthart
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Dave, They had never been anywhere else but outside. I regret the lost seed and the time even more as I'm getting a late start But it looks like I'll have maybe 20 each Kellogg's and HN Surecrop. More than enough to know how I like them.

LOL I've always before been stuck with seed and or plants sold and grown locally. It is a wonderful thing not to be stuck with what the venders want me to have, But at the same time, I feel like I'm drowning in information and choices ! But I like it !

Thanks again Dave for taking time to help one like myself. Without the help of you and others here I really wouldn't know where to start.

• ikea_gw
    11 years ago

I like Sweet Tangerine. Healthy plant, good yield and the flavor is good.

• cakefarm
    11 years ago

I like the Mountain series. I am growing the determinate Mountain Pride this year.

• macky77
    11 years ago

I might grow Applause forever. Really tangy and flavourful (I don't like sweet toms). :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Applause tomato

• Wiles-dog
    11 years ago

If you wouldn't mind posting information on the Applause tomatoe information after the 2012 growing season. I am a big fan of the mountain series plants especialy Mountain Pride and Spring. I planted 21 Applause plants and they are just know ripening, so far the size looks good and the yields are okay. I am afraid that it won't met the yields of the mountain series, but look like a good early tomatoe variety. Opinions are welcomed about the Appluase tomatoe.

• oliveoyl3
    11 years ago

A lot of early, cold tolerant tomatoes are determinate.

Oregon Spring - 4" tom
    Glacier - best flavor out of these 4
    Taxi - yellow
    Legend (not grown this one) 5" tom

If that's your climate they'd grow well, but I don't think these take the heat of the south very well.

Here is a link that might be useful: extra early tomatoes

• green_grandma
    11 years ago

I planted some Legends in my outdoor garden for the first time this year in an attempt to head off 'early blight' problems which have now become a regular annual occurrence in my area. So far so good ... my Legends are the 'healthiest' of any variety I planted outdoors. It looks like my first Legend fruits are starting to ripen at about a 3.5 inch diameter size.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH