Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tomato Plant leaves yellowing from the bottom up

Posted by Noteybook 5 (My Page) on
Thu, May 9, 13 at 16:45

Hey there! I bought these tomato plants from a nursery about a week ago, and in the past few days the leaves on the bottom of the plant have been turning yellow, and have little black spots on them.

I went back to the store and they said I was overwatering them; so I let them dry out a bit(stuck my finger in the soil, up to the knuckle, and it was dry) and then watered them again.

The two tomatoes are a Roma and Yellow Boy Variety. The picture attached with this one is the Roma; I'll be posing more pictures.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tomato Plant leaves yellowing from the bottom up

Here is a close-up of the leaves on the Roma Tomato

o

This is the Lemon Boy(my apologies, I put in yellow boy in my OP and it's Lemon boy)

o

And here is a close-up of the Lemon Boy's leaves; these are healthy ones at the top, that have those dark/black spots I've been seeing in the yellowing leaves.

The Roma does not have these dark spots in its' healthy leaves.

o

Too much rain or over-watering, which in a container that small would be easy to do. Other possible causes are lack of nutrients - primarily nitrogen. You must feed them regularly. Or being root bound in the pot. That is a big plant for that size container so it could easily be rootbound.

Every time you water a plant in a container the nutrients leach out so they must be replaced regularly. When the size of the container is proportional to the plant you don't have that much of an issue.

Dave

o

Hi Dave! Thanks for replying; I decided to give them some plant food with their water today, here's hoping that it will help them perk up a bit. I didn't even think about how they might need plant food already; the nursery I got them from has the same tomato plants and they are doing fine.

I'm going to try to transplant them into a bigger container if I can-I don't have a lot of garden space available. I have 4 more little 4" tomato plants, but they're healthy.

Notey

o

Most container growers recommend feeding weekly. Using liquids is easier as you can just mix it up once a week when you water. others will use 1/4 to 1/2 strength mix each time they water.

Dave

o

I'd also like to mention I have potting soil, it's osmocote and it claims to feed for 6 months; would you advise I supply additional feed weekly, or should that be okay?

Notey

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here