Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
White Spots on Leaves (Pics)

Posted by naturalstuff Z6 / CT (My Page) on
Wed, May 16, 07 at 16:49

Hey, I have white spots on leaves on a couple plants in pots. Will post pics later or tomm and more info. Right now I'm in the car fighting a lightning/Rain storm.

I covered my seedlings to protect them before.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: White Spots on Leaves (Pics)

I had a similar problem and it was diagnosed as sunburn/sunscald. My problem was due to hardening them off too quickly (too soon of a move full to sun).

Other people had similar problems with plants that got a lot of rain and then had a lot of bright sun. The leaves grew very quickly and couldn't handle the intense sun.

Someone else had a similar problem but it was due to birds and their special way of recycling.

The advice was to not worry about it. New, all green, leaves would soon form and the plant would be fine.

It worked for me!

Bart

o

Seems to have gone away with that rainstorm we had yesterday. You're right, might be sunscold from improper hardening off.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

o

Looks just like what happened to my peppers and maters last year. I too rushed transitioning them from indoors to out. My plants were much smaller than yours, and I had entire leaves turn white and fall off. I assumed it was sunscald, and soon enough they all sprouted nice green leaves. Gave me a good scare though.

Ben

o

Not sure what zone, I'm in Boston.... I got 3 tomato plants from the nursury (6" pots) and because of the intense rain was not able to plant them. As a consequence they sat on my back porch in the rain. I always heard wet was ok for tomatoes? I did make sure to make sure they weren't carried away by a flood :-). Anyhow, now 2 of them have speckled white leaves. Any ideas? Is it bugs, disease, or what? Should I start from scratch before I plant in the ground???? I almost killed an aloe, so I need all the help I can get. Thanks.

o

Boston is Zone 6. I would simply plant them and not worry. They should do fine.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here