Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lisafrommaryland

do i fertilize when i plant?

lisafrommaryland
10 years ago

I have already amended my soil w/ bumper crop before planting. Should I also give a dose of liquid fertilizer to my seedlings that I just planted? Or a bit of Vegetable Tone? (slow release plant food)

Comments (5)

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Don't know what "bumper crop" is but if your soil is already well amended with nutrients and micro-nutrients and has a balanced pH then additional feeding shouldn't be needed until after first fruit set.

However many do work some Tomato Tone or similar fertilizer into the planting hole soil at planting time and some have their "swear by" hole prep recipe of many ingredients. It's one of those optional "can't hurt, might help" things.

"Hole prep" (what feeding at planting is often called) is a your choice option. It depends on too many variables for anyone to give you a specific answer - what the plants have already been fed if anything, what they look like in terms of color, how old they are, what all is already in your soil, how deep you plant them, etc.etc.

If you search 'hole prep' here you'll find many different thoughts on the question.

Dave

• carolyn137
    10 years ago

Some do fertilize when putting out plants, either in the hole directly or above ground, and some don't.

I never did b'c I want the roots to start growing without any interference from additional fertilizers since I don't want too rapid growth which can lead to problems. I will fertilize about two weeks after plantout, then when fruits ae forming and then later in the season if I feel the plants need it.

Carolyn

• lisafrommaryland
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you! Bumper crop consists of composted manure and peat moss, along with other things. I also added compost from my compost pile (no manure in that). They are tomatoes that I have started from seed, with little fertilizer thus far. I take that the soil that I planted them in will feed them just fine. Thanks again, will fertilize again when I see fruit :)

• seysonn
    10 years ago

With the established garden, probably you can just plant and let its roots grab the soil first and then fertilize as neede.
    But with a new raised bed or flat bed.. that has just been filled with purchased material(soil, compost..) it would be safe to fertilize lightly at transplant time.(my case this year). I do not fully understand the merrits of BOTTOM OF HOLE fertilizing. I figure the surface fertilizing eventually will go down anyway. But with the B-of-H methos, it might get leached before the plant gets to it. This of course will depend on the amount of watering( an/or rain fall)

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

I do not fully understand the merrits of BOTTOM OF HOLE fertilizing.

Just as with all the "magical cures" for BER that many insist on using, it is more for the gardener's benefit than for the plants.

Sorry, I couldn't resist. :-)

Dave