Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sunshinezone7

Is this a tomato plant?

SunshineZone7
10 years ago

I was pulling weeds and was about to pull this, but it looks like a tomato plant and it smells like one. Can it be just randomly growing from last year?

Comments (11)

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Sure looks like one. Tomatoes will readily reseed themselves from compost or if plants were gown in the area before. No way to know what variety though.

Dave

• SunshineZone7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Interesting how it is growing in ROCK! I guess I will leave it there. I have another one in a different spot also growing in ROCK! I want to try to move the other one as it is in a worse spot than this one is.

Interesting ALL my tomatoes are showing signs of herbicide damage (2,4 d) but these random ones are fine! One is growing up against a fence and this one is right next to the underside of the deck....I guess they were protected a bit.

Still trying to figure out which neighbors spray so I can ask them to warn me before they spray again.....sigh

• Bets
    10 years ago

Sunshine,

You might consider calling your local lawn care (tomato killing) services and ask if they spray in your area. Explain the problem to them, and ask them to notify you if they are going to be spraying in your area. Most of them are very much aware that herbicide use is regulated by Federal laws and almost all states. One of the regulations has to do with spraying when there is a likely hood of drift.

Another option would be to print up a little flyer on your computer that says something like:

Hello, I am one of your neighbors at (address and/or phone number) and I am trying to grow some fresh tomatoes for my family. I would love to share them with the neighborhood when they get ripe. Unfortunately, tomatoes are very sensitive to herbicide drift, and mine have been damaged once this season. Hopefully they will grow out of it if they are not exposed to further damage.

If you use herbicides, I would appreciate it if you would let me know before you do, so that I can protect my tomatoes and I promise I will share the bounty of fresh homegrown tomatoes with you when they are ready.

Sincerely,

(Your name)

Then leave or give one to each of your neighbors. Even if you don't hear from the person who does spray, they might have a neighbor who will narc on them.....

And you may make a tomato friend when you take them 3 or 4 slicers or a couple dozen cherry tomatoes.

Betsy

• SunshineZone7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Betsy,

I love that little letter!

I don't know of any neighbors that use a lawn care service. Maybe people do way down the street or on another street but when I look 4-5 houses to my right and left, and also across the street 4-5 houses right and left, no one uses a service. Most people use Terminex but they don't use herbicides, just pesticides. I am waiting to see my neighbors outside that live on the left and right of me and ask if they used a weed and feed product. I don't think the one does, but I am pretty sure the other one does (unless he is just using lime)! I will ask them to please tell me before they spray again. I am hoping it is my close neighbors because then I will have "some" control over the situation. If not, then I feel pretty helpless!

• gjshawk
    10 years ago

Maybe it's just me but it looks a lot like a mint or lemon balm. Could be a tomato though. If it's a mint (they grow like crazy all over my back yard) then the stem will be square instead of round.

• gjshawk
    10 years ago

Maybe it's just me but it looks a lot like a mint or lemon balm. Could be a tomato though. If it's a mint (they grow like crazy all over my back yard) then the stem will be square instead of round.

• seysonn
    10 years ago

It is without a doubt in my mind, a tomato. And what is more , it has kind of potato leaves too. BrandyWine ?
    Did you have brandy wine last year?

• sjetski
    10 years ago

That's one healthy little volunteer tomato plant!! It looks great despite the unpredictable spring weather this year.

The fun part, besides eating them, will be guessing what type it is, do you remember what types you planted last year?

Remember it can also be a seed from someone's salad or sandwich. If the tomatoes end up tasting dull and lifeless, then i'd say it was an errant seed from someone's lunch :)

- Steve

This post was edited by sjetski on Thu, May 30, 13 at 22:22

• HU-616672136
    3 years ago

Is this a tomato?

• HU-616672136
    3 years ago

Is this a tomato plant?

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH