Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
if you could only grow one heirloom variety for taste?

Posted by suellen45 (My Page) on
Fri, May 2, 08 at 17:06

What would it be............

Sue Ellen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: if you could only grow one heirloom variety for taste?

Me, and a few million others, would say Brandywine Sudduth. It's known as the gourmet of all tomatoes.

Don

o

• Posted by lightt 6/7 Northern VA (My Page) on
    Fri, May 2, 08 at 18:19

Sue Ellen,
That's close to being an impossible question to answer and I'll bet you're going to get about as many different
opinions as responses.

For taste only and not considering anything else I'd probably say Prue.

For a orange/yellow it'd definitely be Aunt Gertie's Gold.

For a "black" I'd grow Cherokee Purple.

Terry Light
Oak Hill, Virginia

o

This is a hard call, but I'll give you my top four:

Black Krim
Caspian Pink
Hillbilly
Marianna's Peace

o

I'm relatively new at growing tomatoes, but Brandywine was my favorite last year

o

This is not a question which can be answered. It is akin to asking one to identify their favorite sunset or piece of music. The response from my most recent garden memory reflects only immediate recall. And that is a large, warm and lucious Kellogg's Breakfast, fresh-picked from the garden on a bright August day.

o

Taste only-Earl's Faux
CDGTXS

o

Since it is pretty much too late to grow from seed this year, I assume you are looking for one you can buy as a plant. That will limit your choices drastically.

What sort of heirlooms are available to you locally?

Dave

PS: if you are asking for future info, then a search here will pull up tons of "favorite..." past discussions including many titled 'favorite heirloom', 'best tasting tomato', 'pick your favorite heirloom', etc. Lots of good reading and many, many suggestions. What tastes good to one person may be blah to many others. ;)

o

Golden Jubilee.
I last grew it in '96, before I'd ever heard of these 'heirloom' thingies OR brandywine.
This is the first garden I've had since the year I grew GJ, I wasn't able to get any GJ this year, but it's on my list for '09.

o

Cherokee Purple

o

Sue Ellen, what are you looking for in the taste of a tomato?

Taste is an individual perception and also has a genetic association for each person.

Varieties can vary re taste depending on the season grown as to weather, how they're grown and what amendments are used, so two people growing the same variety in the same season may experience different tastes for tha same variety.

Although I've grown a couple of thousand different varieties there is no ONE variety that I think has the best taste. Tastes are different and so while I may like one b'c it's sweet and spicy I may like another one b'c it has a rich complex taste and isn't sweet, etc.

So what's your preference?

Carolyn

o

And just to emphasize Carolyn's perfect response, note that 12 different varieties were named as best tasting in the first seven replies.

TomNJ

o

Well here we go again! All Sue ask was a simple question about YOUR FAVORITE FOR TASTE and all we are gonna do is beat this to death with questions!! Well Sue my wifes favorite to date is Pink Brandywine but that might change this year as i'm growing some others for her to try.

o

That's easy: Brandywine

o

"Golden Jubilee.
I last grew it in '96, before I'd ever heard of these 'heirloom' thingies OR brandywine.
This is the first garden I've had since the year I grew GJ, I wasn't able to get any GJ this year, but it's on my list for '09"

Cool, I am growing one this year

o

Carolyn gave an excellent answer. But up to this year I will give the following.
Overall taste- Lucky Cross- The only tomato I've ever grown including Brandywine that I would grow again with only producing 3 fruits.
Orange- KB hands down at this time. Could change after this year.
Pinks and Reds are hard ones. I have several and not sure I could say one is a clear number one. It is like Carolyn said I like several for different reasons. If I started naming I would have ten or more right quick. So won't even start. JMO

o

I looked again she didn't say which one was her favorite variety for taste? Just wondering?

o

Aunt Ginny's Purple

o

• Posted by kudzu9 Zone 8b, WA (My Page) on
    Sat, May 3, 08 at 14:03

German Pink or Persimmon heirloom...

o

I looked again she didn't say which one was her favorite variety for taste? Just wondering?

No Richard, I didn't name one variety. And you didn't either b'c you named one that your wife liked and not your own personal favorite as was asked for. ( smile)

If I started naming names it would be a longish list indeed and only ONE was asked for from each person's personal experience. Sigh.

And I did think it would be useful if Sue Ellen indicated what kind of taste she was looking for so as to direct answers towards that goal.

Carolyn

o

Yeah, I wonder if this is a meaningful question too; I can't predict what sort of tomatoes are going to look, bear or taste good from one season to the next. Sometimes I'm really surprised. In that I do not grow my own plants (rotten conditions for it), I think the seedlings I buy are probably sometimes mislabeled or from bad seed, or erratic weather messes them up. [shrug]

So far, the best tasting tomato I've had from this garden is a presumably mongrelized Black Krim from some guy who had saved heirloom seeds from a small garden with about twelve varieties of tomatoes. The alleged "Black Krim" was somewhat pear-shaped and brick-colored, cracked and with a nasty green coring, but had astonishing taste. There were only about four tomatoes on the plant, all fugly-looking.

This year, I'm growing a commercially-produced Black Krim seedling ($3!) to see if it's going to match the taste of the dubious one last year. I'm also trying some kind of Brandywines and a Black Prince, among others.

We'll see.

o

For my taste, Cherokee Purple is the best tomato I have eaten to date.

o

I can't understand how this question is so hard to understand for some people. I wonder if the longest responses are from the same people who have the highest cellphone usage? ;-)

o

I like PREGO or Ragu but Newman's own is good too. *SMILE*
They are all good tomatoes. It all personal preference.

o

For me it has to be Neves Azorean Red

o

I love Pineapple, Mortgage Lifter, Cherokee Purple and Pink Brandywine. There. I covered bi-colors, red, purple and pink in one sentence. :)

o

Well, my top taste from 2007 was a 3/4" slab of Kellogs Breakfast on a plate with a little olive oil, salt and fresh ground black pepper. That was as close to tomato heaven as I have been.

o

• Posted by suze9 z8b SE Texas (My Page) on
    Sun, May 4, 08 at 1:42

I guess if I really had to pick just a couple solely on taste, Aunt Gertie's Gold would be at the top, and so would Indian Stripe and Earl's Faux. Cellphone usage notwithstanding, here are some of my favorites for taste by color:

Greens - Green Giant, Cherokee Green

Yellow/Orange/Gold/Bicolor - Tasmanian Blushing Yellow, Aunt Gertie's Gold, Lucky Cross

Reds - Chapman, Cuostralee, Wes, Prue or Tony's Italian (similar)

Pinks - Earl's Faux, Aunt Ginny's Purple, Dora

Darks - Gary O'Sena, Vorlon, JD's Special C-Tex, Indian Stripe or CP (similar)

Cherry types - Sungold (hybrid) and Black Cherry

o

You guys make growing tomatos even more FUN!

Carolyn, thanks for organizing my thoughts.

Please give me a few (3) of your favorites with a sweet and spicy flavor. smile

Sue Ellen

o

I must chime in with my pick - Cherokee Purple. Last year was my first time growing heirlooms. I had grown tomatoes for years but always what was available at Wally World or Lowes, and of course the taste was so much better than grocery store tomatoes I was perfectly content to go on growing these guys. Then, I ran across Carolyn's book, which changed my tomato growing life forever.

In July, I picked the first ripe tomato off my Cherokee Purple plant, brought it inside, sliced big thick slices, sprinked them with a little kosher salt and a grind of pepper, and my DH and I could not believe the taste - like no tomato I had ever had. I immediately posted our reaction, and Bill P (aka Gone Fishin') was kind enough to comment and to encourage our exploration of other heirlooms. This year, we are growing 11 more heirlooms and look forward to years of trying different varieties.

o

Carolyn, thanks for organizing my thoughts.

Please give me a few (3) of your favorites with a sweet and spicy flavor. smile

Sorry for the delay Sue Ellen but I'm a tennis nut and I had to watch the Final from Barcelona this AM and then finish reading the Sunday paper. LOL

I use the words sweet and spicy to describe certain green when ripe varieties I've grown. Some may not taste what I taste as far as the spicy goes, but I do. Some say they taste a smoky salty taste for the so called blacks, but I don't, so there you go.

Three that I perceive as sweet and spicy are:

Cherokee Green
Green Giant
Green Doctors ( better than Green Grape and a cherry also)

And while I'm here I might as well do what Suze did and give some other faves and we do share quite a few faves in common.

Red: Neves Azorean Red, Wes, Chapman, Red Penna, Aker's West Virginia, Cuostralee, Prue, German Red Strawberry, to name a few.

Pink: Omar's Lebanese, Large Pink Bulgarian, Tidwell German, Nicky Crain, Stump of the World, Brandywine, etc.

Orange; Earl of Edgecombe, Kellogg's Breakfast, Sungold F1

Gold: Aunt Gerties Gold, Galina ( Cherry)

Pink/Blacks and Red/Blacks; Cherokee Purple, Indian Stripe ( a version of CP), Black from Tula, Black Cherry

Gold/red Bicolors: Lucky Cross, Virginia Sweets, Big Rainbow, Marizol Gold, Burracker's Favorite

White; not much taste with any of them. I think White Queen is the best of the bunch and does have some taste.

So those are a few of my favorites and I'm sure I've forgotten some of the best, but whatever. ( smile)

o

Next week, or even tomorrow, I might change my choice: it's a toss up between German Head or Redfield Beauty.

o

Fantastic thread!
I wonder how much flavour depends on zone, climate etc? Garden-grown Brandywine was very bland here while Black Krim in the greenhouse was amazing.

o

Ciao all-

Sweet and spicy: Aunt Ruby's German Green

Overall use, i.e if I had to choose only one tomato to grow ever: Opalka

o

trudi,

Can I hear more about Redfield beauty?

o

Aunt rubys german green..

o

Did I already say Cherokee Purple? Yes I did. Well then ... Indian Stripe!

o

Can I hear more about Redfield beauty?

Bark, in case Trudi doesn't know the background which I posted in the SSE Yearbook in 1995, it's a variety that either Craig or I got out of the USDA in 1994, I just can't remember which of us and we both listed in the 1995 SSE Yearbook. It's a selection of Livingston's Beauty ( 1885) and it's a dead ringer for what we know as Eva Purple Ball. Same size, same color, maybe a bit lighter, same mottled white on the skin, same juiciness and all and I equate it with Eva Purple Ball which I like very much. With one exception. Eva tends to drop from the vine when ripe while Redfield Beauty doesn't tend to do that.

It's typical of many vareties where the full history has not been carried forward so in the 2008 Yearbook, for instance, very little is said.

Carolyn

o

I might as well do what Suze did

About time...

o

I'd have to agree with sorellina, that if I had to chose just ONE it would be opalka - it's good tasting cooked or sliced fresh... it's good in sauces or salads... it gives toms fairly early and very few seeds... THANKFULLY we don't have to chose just one!!!!!

o

Black Krim immediately comes to mind. I 'bought' a plant years ago, so it was much ahead of my late started little seedlings, and it was the first ripe tomato I enjoyed that season. The last ones were just as good as the initial one.

Sue

o

SueEllen,

If I could only grow on variety for taste it would be Brandywine...no Cherokee Purple. Well, one of those.

Why do you ask?

Randy

o

> I can't understand how this question is so hard to
> understand for some people. I wonder if the longest
> responses are from the same people who have the highest
> cellphone usage? ;-)

Yeah, welcome to the Internet v.2008 [cough!]...

I could explain this as I've made a study of it, but it'd be too provocative to go into here.

Still, I'm sticking to Black Krim. That's the short answer.

o

• Posted by lee_ NC-7 (My Page) on
    Mon, May 5, 08 at 13:02

Cuostralee

Carbon is quite nice also.

Spear's Tennessee Green was a major standout last year.

Lee

o

Just tasted my first Black Krim harvested from this year's garden and it's a tough call between it and Brandywine. Black Krim has a more complex flavor yet is still very sweet and tomato-y so I'd say Black Krim by a nose (a stem?).

o

Well, two days ago it was Akers West Virginia and today it's Soldacki. My first Earl's Faux is just about ripe (those things take forever) so things may change- or not.

o

I don't know why some people always get bent out of shape when someone asks this question. Its fun to see what people have to say.

For fresh eating I would be happy growing any of the following as my only taste-tomato:

Black Krim
Lucky Cross
Giant Syrian
or one of two different pink no-names that taste like Brandywine Sudduth.

The no-names are off-types out of commercial seed packs that showed up in the garden this year, so that isn't fair to put them on the list. Brandywine is not on the list because of the few fruits I've gotten off of the one plant I grew only one of them was extraordinary.

I would have to go with Black Krim overall because it is earlier than the others and a heavy producer.

But those are my tasetebuds. I've grown most of the others on the lists above and under my conditions they are good but don't make my eyes light up when I bite into them, which makes me think that there might be a big difference in flavor between something grown in a residential garden with 8 hours of full sun vs. an open field that gets full sun all day.

I can't taste color differences, and cherry tomatoes are a class unto themselves.

o

cherry---- SunGold, hyb.
orange---- Kellogg's Breakfast
pink/purple--- Pruden's Purple

o

Every year i plants about 10 or 12 different varities of heirlooms. Every year a few of them sucumb to some sort of blight that seems to thrive on these things. Every year a few of them thrive and that becomes my favorite heirloom for the year. This year the best was Persimmon......
Now if I can only grow it again next year & have it preform as well or will another variety replace it as my favorite and have it fade into my memory of past favorites.

They include COPIA
PINEAPPLE
GREEN ZEBRA
JERSEY DEVIL
RUSSIAN 117
but for 2008 it is PERSIMMON

o

for 2008...Cherokee Purple, which has beaten my 2007 taste winner "Cowlicks" Brandywine! Although there were a few that came very close, like Sandul Moldovan and Gigantesque and Olena Ukrainian.

o

Prue................... For the original question:)

NAR....
Brown and Black Boar.........
SunGold (F1) SunSugar Black Cherry
Too many more I haven't tried and don't want to list all the others grown. ( 2009 Garden to include more golds and yellows for summer color also) ;)

Tom

o

• Posted by rb55 6 Indianapolis (My Page) on
    Sat, Dec 6, 08 at 12:33

Confused yet?
Everyone has their idea of whats best until they try one they never had. Depending on how much space you have just plant as many different kinds as you can and decide for yourself. Keep growing the ones you like and try some new ones each year. That's what I do and most have been just fine. Any I stop growing is because they are too much like another or I just want to try something else and need the space. There is such a variety of taste's you will have a hard time deciding.

Roger

o

Having grown several new varieties in 2008 to consider, I am still sticking to my original choice of Black Krim. I can still remember my first taste, where I was, what I was wearing, and who all raved over the tomato that was just not supposed to 'look' like that...you know, the sort of folks who think a tomato has to be red to be good. It is so good I may have to grow it every year, though there are several hundred varieties waiting to be grown and tasted.

Sue

o

I grew "Rose" two years ago, which had a Fantastic taste but no acid. Sioux has an abundance of acid, but doesn't have as great of taste. Red Calabash is also really high on my list. If you like really sweet tomatoes, disregard these.

o

My vote goes to Cherokee Purple. I think it is a beautiful tomato with great texture and a sweet,yet tart tang. Okay, now my mouth is watering!

My favorite tiny tomato is Red Grape. They are better than candy! Sweet, great texture, prolific, don't crack, just a great tiny tomato.

Is it mid spring yet?
Michelle

o

• Posted by remy 6WNY (My Page) on
    Tue, Dec 9, 08 at 12:02

No one(I could be mistaken) has said my favorite yet, Stump of the World. For sweet and spicy taste, I would also have to add Aunt Ruby's German Green and Soldacki.
Remy

o

Is there any difference between Cherokee purple and Cherokee chocolate aside from color?

o

jsv
The experts state there is no difference but this novice planted them both,side by side, and the Chocolate was smaller,more productive and tasted better. I only planted them once so not a lot of experience on which too base an opinion.
Jim

o

Thanks for the info. I am trying chocolate instead of purple this year just for something a little different. I am glad to hear your positive review.

o

To answer the question , one heirloom for taste, I can after many years growing, say that it would be:
BRANDYWINE!
As far as my favorite Brandywine; it would be "Cowlick's Brandywine" which tastes a bit better than Sudduth's and Glick's, all of which surpass the other Brandywines in taste, and "Cowlick's" out produces them all!

Jsvand5,
This year I noticed a tremendous difference in taste between my Cherokee Purples and Cherokee Chocolates. This is the first year I've noticed such a difference. The CP's were much better! Taking the #1 spot away from my beloved Brandywines. But this is the only year they've done that, and their production was very low. For year after year, Brandywines lead the way.
Camo

o

granny cantrell

o

I actually can name ONE. No matter which variety I try--and I adore many, many, many--it always comes back to Cherokee Purple as my first favorite. Chunks of Cherokee Purple splashed with good Sherry vinegar and a very light sprinkle of grey sea salt and pepper--I think I might temporarily be visiting heaven.

Fortunately I can find them at some markets from time to time, because I can't get them to grow worth a damn in Tucson's climate.

o

yes, many different reasons for describing one tomato with the best taste so let me qualify:

brandywine, sudduth strain, was the best tasting tomato i've ever eaten, during a very dry summer in which I had to water on a constant basis......but many tomatoes of many varieties had blossom end rot so the total tomato yield was particularly sparse that year. i.e., the best tasting tomato i ever ate was born of a very poor tomato season. other years when rain was so plentiful i never had to water and experienced high yields with no blossom end rot the taste of the sudduth brandywine was unremarkable.

o

Chiming in with the above...I started growing Cherokee Purple three years ago because of all the raves, but this was the first year i understood what everyone was talking about.

This year was mostly droughty for me, plus the fact that critters kept chewing holes in my irrigation tubing, maybe because I got my hand torn up breaking up a dogfight in April so my weeding left a whole lot to be desired, and a whole lotta critter cover.

I'm sayin it was DRY....plus weed competition.

But the Cheroke Purple and Black Seaman, neither of which had impressed me in the past, were absolutely exquisite last year. Didn't get a lot, the same critters kept pokin holes in them, but the ones I got i made everyone i know taste...and watched their eyes, to a pair, roll back in their heads.

o

Short answer: Persimmon

But I am probably not known for short answers ;P

I find it very interesting that Black Krim is so popular,
whereas at my cool location it has been consistently
watery and rather tasteless, so much so that my wife has
requested I never grow Black Krim again!
Paul Robeson has so much more flavor for us.

I am sure temperature has a lot to do with the flavor of my tomatoes.
Sugary grown in my back yard with a constant ocean breeze is just barely sweet,
in my sheltered patio against a southern facing wall Sugary is the sweetest tomato I have grown.

For folks with cool weather like myself I would not hesitate to recommend Sophie's Choice, yet one poster here
listed Sophie's Choice on his list of most disappointing taste!

My conclusion is that it is worth the effort to experiment with many varieties to determine those that do the best for you!
Join a tomato seed swap and you'll likely find some treasures!

Gary

o

I like the way Persimmon grows, but to my taste they are bland.

Hands down favorite right now is Neves Azorean Red.....a near-perfect tomato for me this past summer.

o

Cherokee Purple & Chocolate are of course, very good.

Sandul Moldovan is right up there and I had forgotten about Aunt Ginny's purple, I just realized I have no seed for that this year! nor any blacks. Aunt Ruby's german Green is very good too.

Oh and Gary, Sophie's Choice was the nastiest tasting, most productive tomato I've grown. The only one i've uprooted mid-season.

I pick Sandul Moldovan.

o

So far... German Pink (from SSE)... but I may have a different answer by this coming fall!

o

"if you could only grow one heirloom variety for taste?"

LOL! That's like asking JFK or Bill Clinton, "if you could only sleep with one woman, who would it be?"

o

Seedboy
Then the answer must be The Next One, Right?

o

"Seedboy
Then the answer must be The Next One, Right?"

Yep! Always looking for a new "tomato," heheheheh.

o

What online company would be the least expensive for one packet of seed? I tried to order from Victory Seeds and the total came to $8! Is there a company that will ship one pack of quality seeds for less? I'd hate to go on ebay :(

o

Donna Marie,

The least expensive company from which to order one pack of tomato seeds is Sandhill Preservation at $2.00 shipping and handling for all orders under 10 bucks.

Sandhill Preservations tomato seeds run 1.25 to 2.50 USD. That's very inexpensive. And the 2.00 service charge is unheard of cheap.

Click Here for Tomato List

o

The seed I want is Lucky Cross - Sandhill is out for 2009. I tried there, I tried TGS, I can't get into SSE for some reason.

Thanks anyway.

o

I found Lucky Cross!

o

Donna Marie,

I'd be happy to send you some Lucky Cross seed grown in 2007. It was from Victory Seed grown out originally in 2006 and then again in 2007.

I can't brag about productivity. Lucky Cross seems to be one of those great tasting tomatoes that like Yellow Brandywine is very very stingy with it's yield. But it did prove to be the larger fruit size with the much more golden and bicolor appearance rather than the occasionally found smaller, redder fruit that sometimes comes out of that seed.

If interested: tomatohead48@hotmail.com

o

Thank you, but I was on a mission this weekend to get my seeds ordered and, hopefully, it is on its way to me.

Lucky Cross was soooo pretty at MAGTAG and, suprisingly, tasted wonderful! I took it home from the get-together and had no idea what it was. When I sliced it, and saw the inside, it was beautiful! I assumed it wouldn't taste good (it was too pretty to taste good) and was just bowled over by the taste. I had to post on the forum to find out what it was. I was determined to grow it in '09. I had a hard time finding it, tho, for a decent price. Hopefully, I didn't sacrifice quality for a less expensive seed.

o

I've grown Cherokee Purple off and on for years. The last couple of times it hasn't produced well so I thought of trying Black Sea Man this year. Cherokee has been replaced by Old German as my favorite. At 2lbs.9oz. and few seeds, gorgeous color and a medium complex flavor it would get my one only vote. Green Zebra is in the top contending too. Just saw a site with 600 heirloom tomatoes. Bet ya can't eat just one!

o

Rose.

o

The one I am eating at the time (in So Cal)
My realatives - many farmers came from PA,Missouri, Arkansas,Ohio that have given us some heirlooms over the years and at 60 yrs of age I have tried a few - though not as many as Carolyn
but I do agree these are all good
Black Krim
Caspian Pink
Hillbilly
Marianna's Peace
I grow 100 plants a year and of those try 20 new - I no longer grow Brandywine Suddith, yellow, red or OTV though the latter 2 are more productive - I balance taste and productivity and occasionally plant a few "you gotta try this one" even though it has low to moderate productivity but taste is supposed to be exceptional - I try to attend tomato tastings looking for "new" finds - I have noticed at these that there are a lot of differences in what people like in tomatoes - just like music - and I think that because of that you really need to try several different ones - you will find that one or two or ten that you will want to grow - some that you like that others don't and that's ok - you know what you like and that is all that is important - read the book by Carolyn if you haven't already and pick a few that appeal to you and each year drop the 1/2 that you aren't excited about and try new ones the next year - pretty soon you will have tried over 100 varieties - and will have a top ten but keep searching - that will change and then down the road you will go back to one you haven't grown for awhile and forgot how much you loved it

o

I'm going to hazard a guess that very few of you have ever tasted Tegucigalpa. Or Heidi. If you like sweet juicy tomatoes (Sungold) that squish when you bite them and shoot seeds across the room, maybe you wouldn't care for firm tomato flesh with few seeds and a meaty taste with character.

So in addition some of my favorites are Lucky Cross, Verna's Orange Oxheart, and Herman's Yellow, as well as Ukraine Heart and other pink or red hearts except for Anna Russian and Forme de Coeur. German Red Strawberry yielded very poorly.

Anyways, Tegucigalpa has a really wonderful gelatinous meaty texture which accentuates the taste, as does Heidi, very similar to Lucky Cross in a smaller package. LC is bad for cracking at the top, which is it's main drawback but I still grow it every year. Totally luscious.

o

never tried Tegucigalpa(where can u get the seeds and info?) but Heidi - (Cameroon)is sweet red pear and good - LC is Brandywine cross - does anyone know with what - tried the oxhearts and do grow some

o

I find the same varieties taste different each year
depending on all conditions .so with that said I like

Black Cherry
Caspian Pink
Cherokee Purple

Black Cherry

Caspian Pink
Cherokee Purple

o

#1 would be Neves Azorean Red by just a gnat's whisker.

Very close behind...........Carbon and Red Oxheart

Carbon has the added bonus of disease resistance too.

o

Great thread. Based on the number of recommendations here and other threads these are what I think I'll try next year. This year I already have 18 varieties growing, and only room for 15 plants.

Again, I can't recommend these, you guys did.
Sungold f1
Opalka
Sudduths brandywine
Cowlick's Brandywine
Aunt Rubys german green
NAR Neves Azorean
Black Krim
Old German - didn't germinate 2009

o

Brandywine. Has anybody tried the red, yellow, and black brandywines? And are they all heirlooms?

o

Hmmm. . . Brandywine OTV (thanks, Carolyn and Craig), Tidwell German, Ernie's Plump, or Dr. Wyche's Yellow. I'm getting old. One of them is my favorite.

o

Sue Ellen mentioned "one variety".
So here it is, the King of TomatoDom, the one and only and trust me, without it we would not be here:

Brandywine

Grow the strain from seeds that Dorris Suddath Hill gave to Ben Quisenberry, also referred to the Sudduth or Quisenberry strain.

o

I like Cherokee Purple the best.

o

We really like our pink Brandywine I'm trying out Pink Caspian this year.

o

My local Ace hardware sells veggies this time of year. Used to have a fair selection, but not so hot this year. However, they do have an Heirloom tomato.....that's the name, Heirloom. If you're only gonna plant one heirloom, this has got to be the one!

Chuck

o

If you are after taste in any tomato, raise the brix level (sugar level)....some would be around 6 to 10 etc, but you can shoot for 14 to 20....supplying all the minerals, not just few will help...
azomite volcanic rock dust it a good start, also seaweed products...compost is must....no chemical fertilizer or poisons allowed.....good strong plants can defend themselves and give you a longer growing season (2 o3 degrees frost protection)...the indian

o

This is easy for me: Azoychka!!!

Azoychka is a yellow indeterminate heirloom tomato that comes from Russia originally. It is kind of uncommon in the US. It has a strongly acid type favor with lots of zing. It tastes unlike any tomato I've ever had before and it is probably the first tomato I have ever grown that I will probably grow every year. Truly fantastic!! I am on cloud nine about discovering it!

Angie

o

Yuck!

Admittedly, the Azychka that I tasted at a tomato tasting may not have been ripe, but I thought it was astringent and nasty!

I prefer them sweet, but full-flavoured.

If I could only grow one, it would probably be Rose de Berne.

Linda

o

To me a ripe Azoychka tastes like a fusion of tomato and lemon flavorings. And I am eternally flavoring things with lemons and lemon juice, so that's perfect for me! :)

Angie

o

For sandwiches: Orange Strawberry

For eating alone in slices: Kellogg's Breakfast

o

Angie, I only hope I get to taste an Azoychka! Still waiting! I have to say that I grew Orange Strawberry last year and for me it made the most delicious sauce, sweet and tart. But I didn't like the flavor of it fresh. I enjoyed Black From Tula and BW Sudduth. No favorites yet!

o

I am still looking for that perfect tomato. Until then i will try varieties. So far this season, I am munching on Sun Gold right off the wine. It tastes great. But I also want my Cherokee Purple.

o

Marianne Peace not a perfect tomato for zone 5, kinda late... but will know with my eyes closed the difference in taste

o

Just One:

-- Has to be early. ( ~ 65 days)
-- To taste good ( not the best but good enough)
-- Good size tomato ( ~ 6 oz)
-- Compact plant (Det, under 3.5 ft)

SILETZ got it .
I Can plant 2 of them in place one HUGE indet. That is like hitting two birds with one stone.
I am growing other early ones too( Matina, Bloody Butcher, Stupice) but the have much smaller fruits ( ~ 1,5 - 2 oz), they are overly tall indets, hard to manage.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here