Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Black Tomatoes

Posted by bigpinks 6SCOhio (My Page) on
Sat, May 26, 12 at 17:14

so called that is...I have 2 Black Krim, 4 Indian Stripe and 3 Cherokee Purple plants and some are just starting to set fruit. I would like to know how many diff dark ones you have grown, where at and which one you liked best. There are at least a half dozen that I have yet to grow. I do have two Black Cherry and this will be the first for them. I grew Chocolate Cherry last yr and it was OK. Help me out please.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Black Tomatoes

Pretty sure you're gonna like Black Cherry - a most prolific and tasty cherry. It has that acidic flavor we miss getting from many other varieties.

In fact, we keep one right outside the kitchen door which makes for a quick and easy 'sampling' every time we pass it.

The others are winners too, imho, but Black Cherry is our favorite ;-)

Will and the Furry Ones

o

Grown Black Cherry, Black from Tula, Cherokee Purple, Carbon, Paul Robeson and Black Krim. Favorite flavor one by far is Black Krim and a good producer too. It is an every year variety now for us.

Dave

o

Cherokee Purple is the most wonderful tomato! But they've never been prolific for me. I planted 2 this year in hopes of getting more. I also have planted Black Krim, Black Prince, Black from Tula (I think that's what it's called), Japanese Black Trifle, and Paul Robeson. They're all tasty. I think it was either the Japanese Black Trifle or Black from Tula that was especially prolific. I believe I've tried either Chocolate Cherry or Black Cherry in the past, and I'm growing the Chocolate Cherry again this year.

o

Big Pinks, you gave me a chuckle when you said....so called blacks, b'c as you know, that's how I refer to them. LOL

I refer to them as pink blacks, clear epidermis, such as Indian Stripe, Cherokee Purple and Black from Tula, for instance, and red blacks, yellow epidermis, such as Black Krim, Carbon, etc.

In the SSE YEarbooks of the early 90's there were only about 5 such varieties mentioned and I never thought the fad for blacks would last this long, and now there are several hundreds of so called blacks that are SSE listed and many available at some seed sites.

With few exceptions I'm not a real fan of the blacks, taste-wise, but have grown a lot of them.

Craig LeHoullier, my best tomato friend, and I predicted that the next fad would be the green when ripes, and that has happened, and I love the sweet spicy taste of most of the green when ripes that I've grown to date.

I will note that there are several folks who have done huge growouts of blacks in the same season and have found that many of them are the same. Just the names have been changed to protect the innocent, as is oft said.

No sense in my making a list of the blacks I've grown other than to indicate which ones I like the best, to date.

Indian Stripe
Cherokee Purple
Black Cherry, bred by Vince Sapp
Black From Tula
Noir de Crimmee, nee Black Krim
Kazachka, a black cherry

Chocolate Cherry was bred by Aaron Whaley, formerly with SSE, and Brown Berry was bred by Sahin Seeds in the Netherlands. Just adding that info but neither one is a fave of mine.

I think I'm growing just one black this season, called Madame Jardel's Black, so we shall see what that one is all about.

Carolyn

o

Many thanks for the replies.

o

I love, love, love Black Cherry, but there are a number who don't. It is subjective, as are most opinions in life.

Haven't tasted yet, but am growing Black Prince, Cherokee Purple, and Indian Stripe this year. Actually, I intended to grow Black Krim, but the tomato I picked up from the Black Krim lot at the garden center, and that I actually made it home with, was Black Prince. I am told it is not as flavorful as BK, but I did not go back to rectify the error. We'll see. I kinda dislike having a lot of opinions on a variety before I get a chance to try it. There is a certain "contempt prior to investigation" that develops with that kind of info, you know? All I know is that I dislike very few tomatos having been born with an easy-to-please palate.

Susan

o

Last year I grew Carbon and Cherokee Purple, but with the heat they didn't produce much, Carbon had a few more tomatoes than CP. Then the fruitworms ate all of them, so I still have never tasted them.

This year I only planted CP, and it's doing much better. There are at least 18 green tomatoes on it already and I can't wait to taste them.

o

Last year I planted Black Krim, Black Bradywine, Cherokee Purple, Black Zebra in ground and Black Cherry in a pot.

All were very tasty, Black brandywine was the lowest producer and a bit too mushy. Black Krim was very prone to catfacing, but got some huge tomatoes out of it. Cherokee Purple was the most prolific from the big guys.

Black Cherry in the pot pretty much took over my deck after it grew about 4 feet above 54" cage, folded over and was crawling in every direction on my deck. It was very tasty most of the season, but got a bit bland near the end. I blame lots of rains at the end of the season and it probably outgrew the pot it was in (ok not probably). I started pickling them at the end of the season.

Black Zebra was the only black tomato besides Black Cherry that I could fit in a jar... so most of them got pickled.

This year I replaced Zebra with Amazon Chocolate. Growing the rest of them again.

o

Which Black Brandywine were you growing, and I ask b'c there are two of them.

The first one was introduced by TGS and was the result of an accidental cross in the growing fields of Seeds by Design in CA. But it turned out not to be genetically stable, giving plants/fruits that looked like Black from Tula that were RL and other plants giving a small fruit that a friend of mine called a bag of seeds.

So Linda at TGS deleted that listing from her website and catalog. But I know that folks are still passing around seeds of that one, unfortunately.

Then there's the so called True Black Brandywine that Baker Creek introduced from Will Weaver.

Carolyn

o

"Which Black Brandywine were you growing, and I ask b'c there are two of them."

I'm not sure, I got them from StClare seeds. Thats where I ordered my Black Cherry as well.

Here is a link that might be useful: Black Tomatoes

o

Year before last, I planted 11 varities of black tomatos, looking for my favorite. It was Paul Robson....ummmmmmmm. Black Krim was a close second. This year, I am only planting PR. A couple were good (Cherokee Purple and Aunt Jenny)but were way too late for me and not prolific enough. I can't wait til mid August for tomatos. PR was the first, early on they weighed a pound, taste was wonderful and they continued to produce all season long. Last year the heat got the best of my garden and I didn't get much of anything. Grimly facing summer again.....

o

Kct, I looked at the description for your Black Brandywine from your link but no way to know which one it is.

If you like it and all plants have dark fruits and PL foliage, then go for it.( Smile)

Carolyn

o

Buffalo, you mentioned a so called black that you called Aunt Jenny, but I don't know that variety and wondered if you meant Aunt Ginny's Purple, which is a very popular what I call pink/black variety b'c it has a clear epidermis.

Interesting story behind that one. The person who first listed it in the SSE Yearbook , Rick B, listed it for only one year and if Bill Minkey, a good friend of mine, hadn't seen that and requested seeds we wouldn't have it today.

I linked to it below from Tania's website and I see that she hasn't had time to update the seed vendors for 2012 yet, hard to do b'c she lists over 3,000 varieties, but scroll down to see the seed vendors.

You'll se my name there as well, as Carolyn Male, as well as my SSE code name of NY MC C.

A darn good variety IMO.

Carolyn

Here is a link that might be useful: Aunt Ginny's Purple

o

I have grown Black From Tula, seeds from Kumato (since I guess I can't technically say I grow Kumato), Japanese Black Trifele and am currently growing Filipino #2 and Nagcarlang which according to the pictures at Double Helix are blacks but according the the USDA are not....Anyway, Black From Tula is my favorite tomato bar none and the tomato formerly known as Kumato is a nice, healthy and productive plant as well that produces a bounty of very sweet, blemish free fruits. Not super rich in tomato taste but if you like sweet, they are hard to match.

o

The Black from Tula are a good tasting tomato, no doubt. But I had a real problem with the shoulders cracking on em here. Nothing I hate worse than a shoulder crackin mater.

Probably due in large part to the outrageous heat we get in Mo during the summer. In a little milder climate, I might have made it a staple.

So I went to Nyagous. I don't have the shoulder cracking problem on them. They are small enough to ripen before cracking open and are delioush.

I put some Krim out this season too, first time.

o

World, there is no one accepted color for Fillipino #2 and Nagcarlang, especially the latter, which can show different colors at different times and is described as being a genetically mixed variety.

Both of those were sent to THe US years ago as varieties that might be used in breeding projects to develop varieties that had more tolerance to high heat and humidity.

Some folks I know have done lots of research on both varieties, going way back to when they were first described and there's a thread here posted by Mulio where he describes the gf alleles present in various varieties and I think I remember that at least one of those was assayed for gf allele status, along with much better known varieties such as Cherokee Purple, etc.

And yes, I know Steve at Double Helix, quite well.

Carolyn

o

For "blacks", I have Black Krim, Paul Robeson, Cherokee Purple, Black Cherry,and because cutworms got one of my cherry tomatoes and I had an empty cage, I bought one Black Truffle to put there. The Black Truffle was right beside Japanese Black Trifele and had potato leaves, looking quite different from the Triefel, so I selected it. Of all those, I've really only had the Krim and Cherry before because last year was so bad I didn't get any of the Paul Robesons. I've tried Cherokee Purple in past years with little success, but I figure that was probably my fault. Anyway, since I have some Cherokee ancestry (most folks from my part of Tennessee, if their family has been there a while do) I've always wanted to give it a good try. I looked up the Black Truffle and at one site it was listed as just an alternative name for the Triefel, but the plants sure looked different at the nursery where I bought it.

We finally got a bit of rain last night so maybe I'll actually get to compare some of these varieties!

Chuck

o

Carolyn,
The thing about Filipino varieties is that I think a lot of them are more landraces than an actual cultivar. For example, USDA has listings for Talavera Native, Gapan Native, and another simply "Native". Based upon my travel in the Philippines and my limited knowledge of Tagalog, I know "native" (much like its most basic use in the English language) is simply a term used to denote something indigenous to an area. I think if a farmer in Leyte grew Brandywine for a few years he would most likely call it "native" when he sold it at market, not to be deceptive but simply to denote that the tomatoes were not trucked in from another province or shipped in from overseas. The varieties with the more "sciencey" names such as VC-11, Divisoria-2 lead me to suspect they are more of an actual improved variety. In any event, I have all varieties just mentioned growing in my plots. As wet and hot seems to be a growing trend around here, I am using these varieties to make more adaptive cultivars derived from some of my more temperamental favorites.

o

Until this year, I've only grown Black Cherry, Black Krim and Nyagous (plus some "purples"). Of these, Nyagous was my favorite. In our hot-summer climate, it maintained the healthiest-looking plants through the hottest part of summer. Much more productive that Black Krim here, though maybe not as early. No cracking on Nyagous. I'm thinking about choosing more varieties in the "salad" size range in the future because of our hot summers.

o

World, I checked your page to see where you gorw your tomatoes and all I found was that you joined GW two weeks ago and are in the US.

And I agree with you as to possible landraces except my understanding of landraces means that it takes thousands of years for subtle mutations to work on varieties and the best examples I know of are Ethiopian Wheat and some rice strains.

Steve ( Double Helix) does grow in a hot and humid climate but you can see from his website the many others that have done well for him as well that aren't accessions from the Philippines or elsewhere.

But since the Spanish distributed tomatoes from Mexico to the Carribean, the Philippines and elsewhere on their trade routes there's a good possibility that what grew wild in the latter have existed in I'll say multiple forms for a longggggg time.

It's an interesting subject and there's lots of academic work being done on the evolution of the tomato in terms of the appearance of genes responsible for upsizing and so much more.

Carolyn

o

Last year, I grew Chocolate Cherry and was not real wild about the flavor until cool fall weather, when it tasted much better than any of my surviving tomatoes. Picked the last ones a week before Christmas, then we got a hard frost. I picked the fruit when it still had quite green shoulders. Black Cherry has been disappointing for me here.

Didn't get any fruit on Black Krim or Black Prince last year. May have planted them a little too late for our hot summers. Going back to Nyagous this year (with a nursery-grown Black Krim for comparison). Nyagous performs well in our climate.

Also growing Indian Stripe for the first time. Grew Cherokee Purple one year where it got mid-day shade and loved it. Also liked JD's Special C Tex and Gary O Sena, which produced fruit in full sun, unlike CP.

o

It always surprises me how many varieties of tomatoes there are. I ordered two new-to-me black tomatoes from Totally Tomatoes. Black Sea Man because the picture of it sliced was beautiful (and the name gives me a chuckle) though it isn't nearly as dark as some of the others listed. The second is Indigo Rose and I am really curious to see how that one does, it is very unusual and I am a fan of the unusual. The color appears to be out of this world, and it is supposedly the first with anthocyanins in its fruit.

o

I'm not sure if Black Prince was mentioned. It's very productive in my garden, although one year it had disease issues. The tomatoes are good fresh, but are excellent when cooked. They make great sauces.

o

I have grown just about every type of black tomato over the years, since I love them. (I have even bred some of my own varieties, including one that I call "Black Magic" but I won't talk about that more at this time. And I'm working on a black plum/large black grape and a small black cherry, too.)

Of the black tomatoes that are frequently available, some of my real favorites are:

Cherokee Chocolate. (Beats Cherokee Purple, hands down.)

Black Krim. (Not always consistent, can catface a lot and cracks a bit, but a winner.)

Black Cherry. A really nice black cherry tomato. Haven't found a black or brown cherry tomato I like better, though there are other good ones out there.

Kumato. Surprising, for a store bought tomato. Can be really great if you can grow it from seeds in your own garden.

A few of them that have NOT impressed me in the past:

Carbon
Paul Robeson
Ananas Noir
Black Trifele
Calabash
Black Prince
Black from Tula
Black Brandywine
Black Zebra

o

I favor dark varieties for taste and because I share same origins with many of them i.e. Ukraine/Russia. I have grown Paul Robeson and Black cherry as well as Purple Russian and Black Krim, Indigo Rose, Jap black trifele. This year I am growing Amazing Chocolate which already set fruit in the Chicago garden as well as Black Vernissage and Gypsy. So far so good.

o

I've grown the Russian Black Plum for many years because it is such a good producer and trouble-free. This year I was given a plant of Indigo Rose. It is an amazing tomato, a true black tomato. Other "black" tomatoes pale by comparison! It was so black that at first I wondered how I would tell when they were ripe. But as they grew a green spot on the underside appeared that turned red when ripe. These tomatoes look and taste more like plums than tomatoes- not tart like a plum or acid like a tomato. There are two seed chambers like a plum tomato but they are perfectly round. Blanched, the skins slipped off very easily revealing a lovely pink orb. I will grow more of Indigo Rose next year to have more for canning.

o

I'm still out on BK, I like it but I really enjoyed black from Tula. Black Russian is a no go for me. I really don't like the taste of this one. Black cherry is always a favorite. Black pear is another one I didn't like at all or Tims black Ruffles.

o

Highly recommend Paul Robeson, Pierce Pride and Amazon Chocolate.

o

I had great success this year with Paul Robeson (first year for these) and Cherokee Purple (always a hit.) I also tried Black Prince and while they were (and still are) quite prolific I found them to be lacking in flavor.

o

This thread has been running for 2 years. But the case is not closed yet. Then beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. So is the taste in the mouth of taster.
MY QUESTION:
Anyway, I am looking for one of these (beefsteak size) , that is cool weather tolerant and has a DTM of SHORTER than 70 days.

Anybody has any comment on this ?. I should appreciate it.

o

When I look at a so called black variety in the SSE YEarbooks where lots of folks are listing it, I see DTM's all over the place and not just based on warm vs cooler areas where it's grown.

Also important is how the plants aregrown, that is by caging, staking, sprawling, inground, in containers, what the soil is like what mix is used in containers, what amendments are used and if so which ones and when and how much, then comes the specific seaon as to weather, which is quite varable almost every year,

Just too many variables and knowing that no two people use the same ways of doing anything when it comes to growing tomatoes.

So IMO when someone says variety A is early for him or her, and one needs to define early since there are different definitions, and person B growing the same variety says the same variety is midseason, that's just the way it is.

Carolyn

o

Just too many variables and knowing that no two people use the same ways of doing anything when it comes to growing tomatoes.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Carolyn,

I agree that "EARLY" is not well defined. So I said a DTM of about 70 or less. Again, we understand that DTM is not a fixed number either and it can vary from climate to climate and due to growing conditions. BUT (this is a big but) there are varieties that produce in shorter time, in cooler climate et cetera. So if it is said that tomatoe A has a DTM of 49 and tomato B has a DTM of 89 , I can be almost sure that tomato A will be at least 30 days earlier than tomato B, if I plant both of them in my garden or you plant them in your garden. YES, there are many factors but the genetics is the most important and determining factor.

JMO

o

Seyson
My favorite black tomato, JD's Early Black, is also my earliest. It is consistently under 60 days for me, usually coming in at 55 or 56 days. It is a beefsteak but at less than12 oz it is not a particularly large one. I can not speak to its cool weather tolerance but tomatoes that do well here are often also good in cool areas. My local Ace Hardware gets them from Conroe Greenhouses. I have purchased them there in the past but saved a few seeds last season, and will save some seed for sharing this season.

This is from Conroe Greenhouses' website in the vegetables section of their variety listing.
“Look for our special C-Tex selections to be available in their seasons!
These varieties of various vegetables are chosen for their hardiness in our traveled area of Texas. The varieties include:
JD’s Special C-Tex Early Black Tomato - another family variety, this dark, deep red tomato, so dark it is almost black, was developed and promoted by JD Brann many years ago and is exclusive to Conroe Greenhouses, Inc. His son, Paul Brann, still grows this tomato in his garden and collects the seeds for our production. It is very sweet and an early producer. Fertilize monthly for best yield. Matures in 50 - 60 days. Indeterminate.”

I don't know how or if this tomato is related to the one known as JD's Special C-Tex, but this is almost certainly from the same JD. Conroe Greenhouses seems to use JD's Special to designate varieties introduced by JD Brann, and C-Tex to designate varieties that they promote as especially well suited to their trade territory. That being the case, JD's Special C-Tex seems to have lost part of its name.
The characteristics of 'JD’s Special C-Tex Early Black Tomato” related above are very different in color, size, and days to maturity from “JD's Special C-Tex” which is purple, close to a pound, and 75-80 days to maturity.

Mike

o

Thanks Mike.
Now, can you tell me where I can get the seeds from ?
I will do a search to find out .

o

Seysonn
Sorry, guess they are kind of a local thing. Let me know if you are interested and I will save you some this summer.

o

In my personal opinion, Cherokee Purple is the best. Just saying...

o

Carolyn,

You made a statement above that Noir De Crimee was synomonous with Black Krim. I grew NDC last year and they were my favorite black (other than CP), but have never grown BK. I want to make sure I don't needlessly purchase BK seeds since I already have NDC seeds.

I haven't tried Chocolate Cherokee or Amazon Chocolate yet. Do you have any feedback on either of those?

This year for fun I'm thinking of growing CPs grafted to Celebrity to see if I get increased production (will growing ungrafted CP next to it as a negative control).

smithmal

o

I'll put in my two cents while waiting for Carolyn's response.

Noir de Crimee means "Black Krim" (Black Crimean) in French, so they were once, and perhaps still are the same tomato. However, at the least, Noir de Crimee represents a "selection" from the variety, and if you add in potential genetic drift and possible unrecognized cross breeding, then you could possibly have ended up with slightly different tomatoes.

I have grown both and found them to be of similar flavor, but the Noir de Crimee seemed a bit smaller to me and of somewhat more uniform shape.

For whatever reason (and I mostly think this had to do with size) I preferred the standard Black Krim, but that might just be for reasons of' "perception" that have no basis in reality.

As for Cherokee Chocolate, it is one of my favorite tomatoes. Wonderful tomato. People say it tastes exactly the same as Cherokee Purple, but I don't find it so. I like Cherokee Purple but I think Cherokee Chocolate is sweeter and more complex in flavor. Now, in my mind, this difference is real, but I readily admit that it MIGHT have something to do with how mature they are when I pick them and eat them. Because of color differences I might be picking them at different levels of maturity. Or that might not be the case.

This post was edited by fcivish on Sun, Jan 19, 14 at 14:17

o

To addrress Smithmal's query as to Cherokee chocolate; I grew them for the first time last year. They were a gift from TGS. Since they were unplanned for, I set a few out in the worst part of the garden where they were properly neglected and forgotten. In spite of the ill treatment, I harvested some very nice tasting, blemish free fruit. I am sure the yield will be better this year as I hope to provide them with adequate attention.

o

You made a statement above that Noir De Crimee was synomonous with Black Krim. I grew NDC last year and they were my favorite black (other than CP), but have never grown BK. I want to make sure I don't needlessly purchase BK seeds since I already have NDC seeds.

I haven't tried Chocolate Cherokee or Amazon Chocolate yet. Do you have any feedback on either of those?

&&&&&

I don't remember saying that BK and NDC were exactly the same, so let me just post some snippets from my book.

" NDC and BK should be the same, their names are synonymous in translation, but after growing both I discovered they weren't"

" The fruits of NDC were much darker in color when grown in my zone 5 garden, it was also more productive than BK, and the taste was superior."

Note that I'm saying in MY zone 5 garden in zone 5.

Below is a link to Tania's page about this variety and while she says that Norbert in France sent seeds for it too all four of us, he didn't.

He's responsible for sending so many varieties that have become very popular. And the four of us listed what we got in the SSE Yearbooks, well not Joe Bratka b'c he sent his to me. And I sent many of those varieties to various seed sites where I've known the owners for a long time and I still do that every year wih the best ones for the season.

We got together and made sure that we requested different varieties and the appendix in my book indicates that my source was Norbert P from France. with whom after all these years, since 1992 I'm now back in contact with him via his posting at another site where I'm a Moderator. He is not comfortable with English and I'm not comfortable with French, so I asked if someone would please help with translations back and forth, one wonderful person did and I gave her two extra choices from my seed offer.LOL

I've not grown Amazon Chocolate and won't be doing so but I have grown Cherokee Chocolate, one of the first to do so since it was discovered in Craig LeHoullier's garden and Craig and I are long time friends.

CC has a yellow epidermis which accounts for the darker color whereas CP has a clear epidermis which is why I call it a pink black, so aside from a darker color all else is the same.

Carolyn.

Here is a link that might be useful: NDC

This post was edited by carolyn137 on Sun, Jan 19, 14 at 15:54

o

Carolyn,

Thanks for you information it is much appreciated. Sorry, I guess I misinterpreted you earlier in the thread when you wrote:
"Noir de Crimmee, nee Black Krim"

I am happy with NDC and see no reason to try out BK unless of course it's better:)

When comparing CP to CC, would you say there is any difference in productivity? From your info above it sounds as if the only difference is in the makeup of the epidermis rather than any difference in fruit taste, size or productivity.

Other's have indicated that CC is superior to CP. My own experience with CP is that it is a wonderful tomato, which can be a little temperamental in setting fruit from year to year.

For this reason I'm going to try grafting CP onto Celebrity root stock. I know that you as well as others haven't seen the advantages in root stocks, unless you have soil pests, however it is relatively inexpensive to do so using the Celebrity seeds and if it doesn't work out, at least I can say "been there, done that."

smithmal

o

" NDC and BK should be the same, their names are synonymous in translation, but after growing both I discovered they weren't"
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
exactly. BK is English NDC is French translation.

Unfortunately, after growing it twice in the past , I will not grow it for more than one reason:
-- Too little fruits for too much foliage
-- Very late comer
--- Cat facing, cracking, green shoulders ..
-- Had sicky curled (tubular) leaves that made me nervous all season.

o

smith , in my post above I quoted from my book and said that NDC was more productive and tasted better, for me, than BK.

So for me the difference is not just epidermis color which determines exterior fruit color,

Carolyn

o

seyson, it's too bad that it has not done better for you where you live and your conditions, so it seems best for you to move on with other varieties.

Carolyn

o

Bump It !

I have started from seed and have aleady planted followings:

--- Cherokee Purple
--- Kumato (from store bought fruit)

I was in a nursery yesterday and bought A Japanese Trifele Black plant. I have read mix reviews on it and wanted to try it myself. It also seems to have a relatively short maturity time (73?).
Anybody is growing it this (2014) season ? I read that it does fine with less sun and cooler temperatures. Any comments on this ?

o

I grew JTb a couple of years ago from a plant I bought and really liked them. They held up well and they were mid season. I'm growing them from seed this year. They are very hardy even when temps dropped. It was my first time growing a black so I didn't realize it was ripe even tho the shoulders are green. In all I recommend growing it.

o

Thanks Sharon. You always give good reviews and I have trusted your opinion. So here we go , JTB. I also read some reviews elsewhere on the net. Mostly I liked what I read. For example, it taste as good as BK, CP. It is more productive, it is early. And the plant is a compact indet.

The plant is still out there and have not planted it out yet. It is a nice study plant. Probably I will plant it in a container, like 5 gal. bucket.

o

I do mostly container planting. I grew mine in a 10 gallon container and it did really well. It's a sturdy plant and quite prolific. It was the first time I had grown a potato leaf tomato. I was amazed at how healthy it was. I bought it as a plant, because I wasn't growing my own from seed at that point. I had stopped for a few years. Like I said, I had never grown a black tomato before either. All that to say, I am growing it this year from seed as well as CP (this is my first time with it), Black from Tula, and Indian Stripe. I'll be interested to see how this year fares with the blacks. BFT is also fairly early for a black. BTW, how's bloody butcher doing?

o

Thanks Sharon,

I will try to get a bigger container for my JTB. It is one of 3 tomato plants that I bought . T have started the rest (Close to 30 ) from seed. I gave away some to relatives and still have to plant out some more.

My Bloody Butchers (2of them) are doing fine. One has multiple flowers but no fruits yet. The same goes for sungold.

Our temperatures (quite predictably) is still cool, mostly in 44 to 62F range. But we are seeing more and more highs getting to 68F and even low 70s. This is quite normal for the month of May.
Talking about weather : Take it or Leave IT !

o

Set out 12 Cher Purple this afternoon. I've had kohlrabi and onions out for two weeks but I never feel I've started until I set my first tomatoes. 12 down and only 68 to go...woo hoo!

o

Happy plant out, bigpinks. 12 CP ? that is impressive. I have like 4 of them.
You are right I think, those cool crops won't give me any satisfaction either nor they can cure my itch: )
So real growing season starts with planting good old matoes.

o

Impressive! I have 85 seedlings growing of which I will grow 20-24 plants. My son will take another 20 or so and the rest will be given away. I'll be growing one CP, one black from Tula, one JTB and one Indian Stripe, b/c I think Carolyn had given it good reviews. And of course a Black Cherry! Not exactly sure if Indian stripe is considered a black or not. I didn't have good germination. Only two seeds, so we shall see....
I grew many blacks last year and wasn't overly impressed, especially b/c they didn't hold up well. BK was slow going, so I nixed it for this year.

o

I have growing Brad Gates Wild Boar Blue collection. Looking forward to tasting all, cherry's and big boar types.

o

I have Cherokee Purple, Black Prince, and Black Krim growing this year.

Black Prince was a transplant from Bonnie Plants. Both are growing like mad. One is setting fruit like no tomorrow. The other is catching up. The hail storm we had beat it down to almost the bare stem. It has made a remarkable come back.

Black Krim was started a bit too late from seed. I have several going in containers, and one in the ground. Two are not that tall, and already have one fruit set on them. Those I will leave alone, and see what happens.

Cherokee Purple I have one large healthy plant. I started it from seed a bit before the others to see if I could get anything to grow inside. It is quite healthy. It is starting to show signs of buds forming. I hope to get at least a couple of fruit to set before the heat wave kicks in here. Though that is a bit of a crap shoot. 95 plus degree days can start anywhere from the third week of May, and the third week of June. After that it will last till mid to late September. First frost can happen anytime after that. It is not unusual at all to have highs in the mid 90's late Sept. Then a frost in the first week of October.

o

It is so heart warming to hear that your weather is warming up an your tomatoes are growing.
Ok. lets see who will pick the first ripe mato and from which variety. And polish up your cameras to take some pictures. I will use my cell phone. as well.

o

Double post.
Purged the contents
seysonn

This post was edited by seysonn on Wed, Jul 16, 14 at 8:05

o

Time to shake up and wake up this thread. I do that once in a while instead of starting a new thread. I like it this way , because there are a lot of interesting historical info/comments here.

We are getting close to harvest time.

I have several CPs, one JBT and one Kumato. They all have fruits. CPs have few larger ones (~ 6+ oz now). JBT has several ( ~ 3 oz in size). Kumato was very slow to get going. It has 3 trusses, having a total of about 30 fruits. Thats prolific to me. But the largest one is about a large grape now.

BTW: should remind you that I am growing Kumato from the store bought tomato. So there is some element of suspense and drama, as how it will turn out. I like that part too. Because Kumato is supposed to be a hybrid. (F1 ?)

OK. Let us see how your so-called black/brown tomatoes are doing. We should have some taste comments. We all know that taste can be personal and subjective. That is fine.

Also: How about some pictures ? I will post some when I have ripe fruits.

o

I m growing CP and have several fruit but nothing close to ripe, JBT just starting, but I planted that late, black cherry, nothing ripe, and Indian Stripe, also just starting to produce fruit as it was also planted quite late due to weather, and other mitigating factors. I might add that my black cherry is having to deal with squirrels trying to decimate it, so I'm not sure how that one is going to fair.....

o

I started my tomatoes late this year and was out of the country when it was my normal time for setting them out. I think they got planted on June 9th.

We've had some nice weather this past 2-3 weeks so the tomatoes are catching up and doing very well. Hard to believe those tiny seedlings have become these healthy, stocky plants with blemish free leaves in such a short time.

For black tomatoes, I am growing:

Cherokee Purple
Black Krim
Japanese Black Trifele
Paul Robeson

Black Krim is probably my favourite of the bunch.

o

I'm growing Black Krim, Cherokee Purple and Japanese Trifele Black. So far, JTB is performing the best of the three. Black Krim is second with about 5 fruits per plant and Cherokee Purple is poking along behind with only two noticeable fruits on each plant. They are all in containers. Black Krims are each in their own very large pot and the JTBs and CPs are planted two plants each in what would best be called a small raised bed. They are shipping crates lined with landscape fabric and filled with 4-way garden mix, which actually drains quite nicely. My CPs were sulky from the start, even as seedlings, and I had to coddle them along. The BKs are doing better than the one plant I had last year, which I saved seed from and started this year's BKs from. So as of right now, CP probably won't be grown again, JTB will, and BK is still on the chopping block. Next year, I'm planning to try Indian Stripe and Black Prince for blacks.

o

Last year I grew Cherokee Purple and Black Krim. CP was the first of all my tomato plants to ripen, but it wasn't very productive. BK sulked a bit and wasn't very generous either. Although I loved the taste of both, I grew neither this year. Instead I am growing Indian Stripe and Black Early, neither of which has ripened yet.

Linda

o

O'wite ! Keep reporting. Tomato talk is in season.

My CPs are also very poor performers in terms of number the fruits. But the fruits are growing and growing bigger, JBT is the only one in container. Some of Its fruits size nearing maturity. Kumato remains a big surprise with over 30 fruits and lots of blossoms. It grows more like cherry indets.

We have also been having unusually warm July. That help growth and ripening.

o

I am very interested to hear how the Kumato grows/taste. I've eaten the store bought ones and thought they were terrible, but it may be that they were artificially ripened and taste improves dramatically if picked ripe right from the vine.

This is my first year doing Indian Stripe (I usually grow CP). I can say without a doubt that it is much more productive. That's a huge plus when it comes to black toms as they tend to be yummy, but not very plentiful on the vine.

smithmal

o

Linda, you should try growing Black from Tula. I think you would really like it. I have high hopes for CP and indian Stripe. BK was a disappointment last year.

o

Hi Smithmal,

I am curious about Kumato too. The store boughts were/are greenhouse grown probably harvested much early and gassed.
But the taste, as I can remember, was similar to Black Krim ; Pasty, not much juice. I think it was a bit of acidic too.
Yeah, CP is not productive. Let us hear how your Indian Stripe does, in terms of production and taste.

Finale Note:
This is great that we can benefit so much from networking and learning from each others feedback. This way we can learn more efficiently, with least mistakes (= personal experience).

o

Hi Sharonie,

I have high hopes for Indian Stripe because it is said to be similar to Cherokee Purple, but more productive. (I have the RL one).

Sounds as if Black from Tula performed well for you. I have seeds, so will grow it next year.

Thanks for the recommendation!
Linda

o

July 25th and I just picked 4 8-10oz Indian Stripes. I am absolutely shocked. I generally don't start getting CPs until mid August. IS has beat my "early" toms such as Pink Honey and Moskovich. Truly amazing.

What's more, the production of IS absolutely blows CP away. I've grown CP, Black Krim, Paul Robeson, Nyagous and none have done nearly as well as IS. The only other blacks I can think to try for future seasons are maybe Cherokee Chocolate or Black from Tula (I've heard good things about them).

Maybe this is just a great year, but I haven't notice my other tomato varieties excelling more than usual.

I think I may have just found my "goto" black beefsteak...

smithmal

o

IS is doing great here. Early, very productive and taste great!
Noir De Crimee produced one very early ripe and now about to get more ripe, looks to be productive as well. I like it better than BK... although BK never was pastey for me, quite juicy.
Picked up yesterday first Gary O´Sena. Less productivity and not as early as others.
First 1884 Purple is about to be ready as well, very productive.
Haley´s Purple Comet is stunning in taste. Does split easily with rain but taste is superb. Black Yum Yum is slightly bigger that Haley´s but milder in taste. Having salad with Yum Yum and red sharp salad tomato is a pure heaven!
Am still waiting for Helsing Junction Blue, Black Shadow, friend´s Tasha´s Black- could not figure out what that was so ended up with friend´s name, Rosella Purple, Perth Pride, Tasmanian Chocolate, Wild Fred, Amazone Chocolate RL.

o

I've grown Cherokee Purple, Black Krim, and Chocolate Cherry.

Chocolate Cherry - I was disappointed with the flavor.

Cherokee Purple - Great flavor with a tendency to crack. Can produce large fruits.

Black Krim - Also great flavor (not as good as CP though, IMO), more uniform and round than Cherokee Purple. Also cracks. Produced medium size fruit.

o

three Indigo Apple first to go, small from first set on seedlings, tons above to ripen, black/blue but turn dark red bottom when time to pick. Sweet Beverly is so loaded I cant imagine how the plant can hold such huge sprays. really eager to try Blue Berry Boar cherrys, tons waiting to ripen, oh the waiting.... Aug 17 is the tasting luncheon at Wild Boar in St Helena ca! Blue Beauty and Blue and Gold looking good too. Black & Brown Boar, just fascinating to watch them all growing and how different they are! How tall are your plants? Curious if ming are sizing up ok? Mine are all in containers, VOLES, moles and gophers :- ( You have made Indian Stripe a MUST Try! Maybe Petaluma Seed Bank will have some? Heirloom Expo in Sept.

o

No Black/brown/purple turning color in my garden. JBT has good size fruits . CPs just keep getting bigger.
Surprise Kumato has over 30 fruits but the shape is not round, but pore like roma. Below is a picture taken 5 days ago. I will report on final shape, color and taste.

o

Season,

That's odd. I've always read that Kumato was true at least for the F1.

Did you harvest the seeds yourself from store bought tomatoes or obtain them from someone?

smithmal

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here