Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lynn1027_gw

Black from Tula

lynn1027
14 years ago

Is anyone growing out this Russian heirloom? I have one plant and so far is doing very well. Very large compound blooms may portend very large fruit. Of course, NE Florida very long way from any place in Russia. Hope it makes. Anybody have any experience with this type?

Comments (9)

• Bets
    14 years ago

Perhaps in Idaho, we are a bit closer to Russia in some ways, but we did have a very hot summer (hottest day on record 110º!) the last time I grew BFT. It was one of my favorite tomatoes.

Bets

• carolyn137
    14 years ago

lynn, Black from Tula (BFT) has long been known and grown by many folks.

It was first obtained by Seed Savers Exchange from Marie Danilenko, who was SSE's contact in the CIS ( former USSR) in 1996, and first offered through the SSE public catalog in 1997 or 8, I don't remember which year and am too lazy to look it up.

It's a pink/black variety as is Cherokee Purple, meaining iot has a clear epidermis, and most folks think highly of it as I do although I must admit that I'm not a great lover of most so called blacks.

It's now listed at most seed sites where heirloom varieties are sold. And I'm sure that you'll like it as well.

Large blossoms do not necessarily predict the size of fruits and early in the season the first blossoms of many varieties are large, some of them being fused blossoms with 2-3 blossoms fused. Large mishapen fruits often result frin fused blossoms.

Carolyn

• natal
    14 years ago

It's the only purple/black variety I've had success with besides Cherokee Purple. Production wasn't great, but I think that's par for the course here in the deep south.

• lordstanley
    14 years ago

I have 4 rolling this year. Along with:

Nyagous 4

Cherokee Purple 1

Marianna's Peace 4

Giant Belgium 1

Black Prince 1

Ceylon 3

Sun Sugar Cherry 8

Sweet Million Cherry 2

Brandywine -Sudduth's Strain 3

Isis Candy Cherry 2

Black from Tula 4

Italian Tomato Tree 2

Black Krim 2

Sophie's Choice 2

Sweet 100 1

Champion II 1

• chuck60
    14 years ago

I really like Black Krim and Black Cherry from previous years, so I've got a Black from Tula and a Black Japanese Triffle (sp?) going now....just one of each from a local source. I've tried other "blacks" in the past with poor success, but since they were all from my own seed starting that's not a fair test....though I did grow the black cherry from seed. I've got a couple of just Black from the last two seeds in the pack. I killed all the other seeds last year. I hope I get better at starting seeds before someone has me arrested for tomatocide.

Chuck

• west_texas_peg
    14 years ago

My Black from Tula disappeared. Was there one day and gone the next...no sign of it...no roots, nothing. I guess Scotty 'beamed' it up!! So had to find a replacement for it. I had already sold or given away the remaining BFT. :(

Peggy

• rj_hythloday
    14 years ago

I'm curious when BFT is ripe, this was taken a few days ago and is bigger than a baseball.

{{gwi:1336584}}

• diclemeg
    14 years ago

Both my Black from Tula and Jap. Trifele haven't even set fruit yet here. The flowers bloomed but then seemed to have withered. I hardly watered all last month due to the insane amount of rain here, and I was told my tomatoes are behind due to too much water rather than too little, so I'm confused. I have 30 plants (25 heirloom and 5 hybrid) and the only things that show fruits is Sungold (ate a few), Black Krim (one has end rot), Red Zebra, Purple Haze, Marianna's Peace, and none of the others are showing fruit. Any advice here ?

• rj_hythloday
    14 years ago

Had alot of rain coming so I went ahead and picked the BFT it was soft and ripe.

{{gwi:1336585}}

Russo Sicilian Togeta, unknown Red Heart, Black from Tula
    {{gwi:1336586}}