Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ladybug_la

My tomato plants are not growing !!!

ladybug_la
13 years ago

It has been close to 2 weeks that I put my tomato seedlings in the ground. I did not put anything in the hole at the time of transplanting. The plants don't seem to be growing. I was reading LSU Ag Center's guide on growing tomatoes and they suggested putting in a cup of granular fertilizer per bush at planting time and liquid fertilizer every 2 weeks.

Will Miracle Gro do the trick? I don't have easy access to aged manure etc. Whatever I can buy from the local garden center or Lowes/Home Depot is what I can use.

Now the question is what do I fertilize with?

TIA

Comments (9)

• digdirt2
    13 years ago

Depends on what is in your soil. Has it ever been amended? Had compost added? Any kind of nutrients? Ever had a soil test done so you know what you are working with?

Your options for feeding are limited somewhat now that they are planted and the fastest results would be from a liquid fertilizer of some type. It sure doesn't have to be MG as there are many other options available. Your choice, just make sure it is something well balanced and hopefully contains micro-nutrients as well. Search 'fertilizer' here for all kinds of suggestions on brands.

Then, after an initial feeding, if it were me, 2-3 weeks later I would do a good side-dressing of all the plants with a basic granular 10-10-10. Also plan on setting up a regular feeding program of some kind to compensate for the lack of initial preparation.

Next year do some research on hole and pre-planting preparation. ;)

Dave

• ladybug_la
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Dave.... The soil (95% organic) in these beds (raised) is what I had ordered by the truck loads in my rose growing days. When I planted bare root roses, I used to add 1 cup bone meal, 1 cup alfa alfa meal and 1/2 c blood meal in the holes. I also used to feed my roses fish emulsion, alfalfa tea, epsom salts etc. I have had nothing in them for the last 3-4 years. I tilled the soil and put a layer of MG soil on top.

I got things bass ackwards this year. Next year I plan to get an early start and do some prep work for sure. I have started composting and am sending out for a soil test. That will take some time to come back.

Meanwhile, I was running out of time this year and just went ahead. I bought some Organic MG yesterday and added that. I will also feed them some liquid fertilizer - MG Tomato food was what I could find at Lowes. I will be using that today or tomorrow. Hopefully, that will help.

• cyrus_gardner
    13 years ago

How do your plant look like?
    what is the color of the leaves?
    Did you get alot of rain, overcast skies, cooler weather?
    If they look healthy with nice green leaves(not pale ), maybe you are not being patient. It takes time for new transplants to get
    acclimated, grow new roots and grab the soil first and then resume growing.

• loribee2
    13 years ago

I'm interested in this discussion because I'm having the same problem. I planted 8 tomatoes (2 ea of 4 different varieties) a couple weeks ago and they haven't grown a stitch. This was my first time starting from seed and my first veggie garden in 15 years so I'm a little rusty. Each plant has 3 sets of leaves, color isn't bad and they definitely aren't dying, but they aren't growing either.

I'm in Northern Calif Zone 9 and think maybe we just aren't getting enough heat yet? Our night temps have been in the low 40's, days in the low 70's and we've had some rain.

I wasn't too bothered until a blackbird whacked off two of my plants for his nest. I put up netting and went to a local nursery to replace the two I lost. The 4" plants I got from the nursery are about 4 times the size, are a vibrant green where mine are a little 'silvery' and have already got blooms. Now I'm wondering if I should replace the rest before the nursery runs out of plants. I'm torn because I don't want to give up on my seedlings--I had a lot of fun starting them this year but started a little late and learned a few things along the way. On the flip side, I don't want to wait so long trying to coax mine along that when I finally cry "uncle" the nurseries are sold out.

My soil should be good. The beds are all raised and I've got them planted in dirt I just bought from a reputable rock/quarry company. They called the soil their "veggie mix" and this is my first year with it, so I didn't add any nutrients other than a wash of fish emulsion last weekend.

Should I just be patient? My fertilizer plan had been fish emulsion every two weeks. Would something else give them a better boost? I've heard to be careful because too much nitrogen will create great leaves and no plants.

• susan2010
    13 years ago

I'm guessing that it's the lack of heat. I notice this every year when I put my tomatoes in. Although I plant later than many on this forum, it's still pretty chilly around here at the end of May/early June. Once the weather gets predictably hot, they take off. Personally, I wouldn't fertilize until after the weather warms up and you see what happens. You can't easily "unfertilize" if you've overdone it. But that's just amateur me.

• ladybug_la
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I planted Creole, Sweet Million & Cherry tomatoes. The creoles don't look good. They got battered by rain the day after planting. They are light green and no new leaves on them.

The temp here is already in the upper 80s. I probably planted a little too late for the Gulf Coast. Our growing season is supposed to be from Mid March to December. I guess only time will tell.

• loribee2
    13 years ago

Thanks, Susan!

• melmoth
    13 years ago

I found this link by googling my own problem: I bought two brandywines and one stupice at the farmer's market two weeks ago. The Bradywines are going gangbusters in the new square-garden bed. The stupice is going nowhere (but looking perfectly healthy) in the old bed where I grew brandywine last year. I did amend the whole old bed with a lot of compost, and everything else in there (pole beans, spinach, beets, arugula, onions) is thriving. Do you suppose that viruses from last year's brandywines are slowing the stupice? How would I know, if the plant looks just fine?

• latifouro
    13 years ago

Organic Vegetable Gardening Ebook. Even A Novice Can Start An Organic Garden With This Simple Guide. Complete Step By Step Gardening Guide.

Here is a link that might be useful: organic vegetable gardening secret