Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hopefull742

Tomato leaves are curling up

hopefull742
9 years ago

What is wrong with my plant?I have about 60 plants, only two of them look like this.

This post was edited by hopefull742 on Fri, May 30, 14 at 18:06

Comments (25)

• edweather USDA 9a, HZ 9, Sunset 28
    9 years ago

Any spraying of weed killer nearby?

• missingtheobvious
    9 years ago

That abnormal leaf shape is typical of 2,4-D damage (rather than Roundup/glyphosate).

2,4-D is found in broad-leaf weed killers, typically used in lawns.

Compare the photos here:
    http://ncsupdicblog.blogspot.com/2011/04/herbicide-injury-to-tomatoes.html

• hopefull742
    Original Author
    9 years ago

There was some poison ivy that got sprayed near by, someone may have touched the plants. Will it kill them, is there something I can do to help the plants?

• jean001a
    9 years ago

Only time will tell. Their future depends upon how large a dose they received.

Unlikely that someone touched them. Much more likely that the herbicide spray traveled on a breeze.

Yes, I know you have many more tomatoes and wonder why they're fine. Just be happy that spray drift can be so hit and miss.

• hopefull742
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all for the answers!

• seysonn
    9 years ago

What is wrong with my plant?I have about 60 plants, only two of them look like this.
    %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
    Are those 2 of the same variety ? Are there more of that variety that do not appear to be affected ?

The other ones might show different symptom if indeed there was a herbicide drift. Or maybe, luckily, those to were hit. Also, it s possible that certain varieties might be more sensitive than others.

This post was edited by seysonn on Sat, May 31, 14 at 6:23

• hopefull742
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Those are a different variety, and the only two of that kind I have. Also they are planted just about in the middle of the group.

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Hopefull, thanks for clarifying.

So then there are 3 distinct scenarios:

1- there had been no herbicide drift.
    2- The variety in question is Super Sensitive.
    3- Those two have some kind of disease.

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

It is 2,4-D herbicide damage as the symptoms are classic and none of the diseases present similar symptoms. One pest issue - a severe infestation of aphids can produce similar symptoms but the infestation would be so bad as to be obvious.

But it isn't just a matter of drift although that is the most common method. And it is fairly common for only certain plants to be affected by herbicide drift, sometimes not even the ones closest to the use area, as it depends entirely on breeze gusting and direction.

But it can also be transferred by contact from clothing and hands, gloves, tools, etc. Especially true with 2,4-D given its oily base.

As Jean said, whether they will recover or not only time will tell but the odds are in your favor if the whole plant doesn't go down within 24-48 hours. I do recommend however trimming off the worst of the affected foliage whenever possible to reduce systemic stress on the plant.

Next time someone will be spraying any herbicide in the area it really helps to cover the plants first and leave the cover in place for a good hour after spraying.

Dave

• hopefull742
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all! They have been like this for almost a week. One of them looks just about dead, but the other one is still looking pretty good. And yes, these two plants are the only ones of that variety that I have. All the other tomato plants look very healthy.

• mambooman
    9 years ago

Mine got hit with it last year. All of mine recovered. Took about 2 weeks and then they kicked into gear again.

• nanelle_gw (usda 9/Sunset 14)
    9 years ago

Arghhhh! Glyphosphate! I used shields! Here's my picture.

This post was edited by nanelle on Tue, Jun 3, 14 at 1:52

• seysonn
    9 years ago

I don't buy herbicide damage for more than one logical reason.

Number one: Those two are the only ones of the same variety right in the middle some 60 plants.

Number Two: as just nanellie posted and also discussed in another thread herbicide has different symptoms.

I would say those to have some viral disease transferred from the seeds. JUST A SCENARIO.

• labradors_gw
    9 years ago

Somebody had a problem with herbicide drift on another forum and seemed to think that it would be a good idea to water the plant well and attempt to wash the leaves. (This was soon after noticing the damage).

I wonder whether this would be a good idea, or whether it might make the problem worse. Does anyone know?

Linda

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

Linda - whether it would help or not depends on the herbicide type and amount of exposure. While both glypho and 2,4-D are absorbed through the leaves they work very differently. Thus the different effects one sees on tomato plants and the very different survival odds.

If done immediately, glyphos like Roundup can be rinsed off to a degree while 2-4 D solutions generally cannot be as they are mixed with other "sticky" active ingredients. But heavily watering the plant itself, while it can dilute, usually only speeds up the absorption of both.

Number Two: as just nanellie posted and also discussed in another thread herbicide has different symptoms.

Yes they have different symptoms. nanelle posted a pic of glyphosphate (Roundup) damage and labeled it as such. The OP's pic is classic for 2,4, D damage.

I would say those to have some viral disease transferred from the seeds. JUST A SCENARIO.

Such as? What symptoms, if any, of any of the seed borne viral diseases does the plant display?

Dave

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Well, I did not make a diagnosis.
    But as I concluded it with good reasoning that it cannot be a herbicide, for the reason JUST 2 tomatoes (only ones of the same variety) in the middle of 60 other tomato plants are showing that symptom.

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

You did make a diagnosis: I would say those to have some viral disease transferred from the seeds.

So what viral disease?

If I and others didn't recognize that the issue was 2,4 D herbicide damage, I could diagnose the problem as root weevils, or root knot nematodes, or voles, or sun-soil level stem damage, or a lightening strike. But then I would have to support my claim with specific symptoms, signs to check for.

So all I am asking is what supports your claim that this is seed borne viral disease? Just the fact that you don't think that only two plants out of 60 could be affected?

First we don't know that any other plants were not affected. It may not be as obvious. Second you don't know how these plants were planted relevant to each other or to the sprayed location.

But only a few plants being affected happens all the time. Some plants are more susceptible, it depends on where the plants are located relevant to the spraying that was done, the direction of the wind, any clothing or skin contact, the age and development of the plant, and many other variables.

But the fact that only 2 of the plants appear to have been affected does not prove it is not 2,4 D damage in any way. And it certainly does not prove that it is a seed borne viral disease.

So how does it help the OP to argue that it is? Providing correct info helps the OP and others learn, if nothing else, how to avoid the problem in the future. Providing mis-leading arguments doesn't help in any way. It only mis-leads the OP and confuses the discussion for other readers.

So to avoid that let's assume for purposes of a learning discussion that it is a seed borne pathogenic disease.

What are they?

What are the plant symptoms of them?

How are they prevented/treated?

How long does the plant survive IF it has one of them?

What geographic regions are affected by them?

Dave

• sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
    9 years ago

In support of Dave's possible scenario...it was already concluded that a stand of poison ivy was sprayed. That could be transferred via gloves, garden tools, or any direct contact at any later time. Drift can be rather small and concentrated.
    Some may use a small sprayer multi-use. Rinse it, but residue may be left in the plastic stem that feeds the nozzle. Fill with foliar feed and the first plants hit will get a direct hit with round-up or other killer. Label sprayers and never multi-use them.

My posts are confusing self admitting. But Dave hit a 'bingo' note in the other post. Purchased soils and amendments and what is used in them that have been sent and traveled from who knows where. And longer lasting soil residue 'killers' than in the past.
    Lingering in those purchased so called 'organic' bags.

I do think we are dealing with some very different weed killers than when i started my garden in '94-95. A bed or two added every year, only using compost, nothing purchased...with patience and covered for a year, then planted the following spring...
    Mulched with hay from the field below. Never sprayed.

Just hope my tainted plants enjoy and recover from early trauma, : ).
    Clean mountain air and spring fed...

• hopefull742
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is the spray that was used on the poison ivy, Spectracide Weed and Grass Ready-To-Use Gallon. Here is link to Lowes which sells it.
    http://www.lowes.com/pd_80013-316-80013_0__?productId=3044066.
    Again thank you all for all the answers. One of the plants looks like it will be fine. The other one looks about dead, should I pull it?

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

The other one looks about dead, should I pull it? Leave it unless you really need the space and just keep an eye on it. It can't hurt anything and you might get lucky and see some new growth or it may send up new growth from the roots given time.

Spectracide is a 2,4 D based formulation. Note the label instructions:

This product is a non-selective herbicide that will kill any vegetation contacted. It enters plants through the leaves and moves down to the roots. This will ensure that the entire plant is eliminated. Avoid direct spray or drift onto desirable plants, lawn grasses, shrubs, and trees. Protect desirable plants and vegetation with a piece of plastic or cardboard. If desirable plants are accidentally sprayed, wash plants with water immediately. This product has no soil activity and thus will not affect nearby untreated plants.

Always pays to read the label before use.:)

Dave

• labradors_gw
    9 years ago

Thanks for the explanation Dave,

I remember back in the day when I used herbicides that watering the weeds appeared to speed up their destruction.

It's really sad to hear the stories of people's veggies being destroyed by other people's use of herbicides on a windy day.

Linda

• eugeneb4
    9 years ago

I believe it has do to with changes in soil ph. Mine looked normal until I worked in a pound of sulfur into the soil. My ph was around 8 and I wanted it more in the 6 area. I measured it a 6.7 a week ago. The leaves on the bottom of the plants have flattened out and the new growth grows curly. I am getting blossoms and the growth has been allot better since the change in ph. My plants are allot healthier but they may be stressed from the ph change.

I'm not sure but I have not sprayed anything but a mixture of neem oil and dish soap on any of the plants and that spray has been used on all the plants and the rest do not display this symptom.

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

Since this is a totally different set of issues - radical pH changes and its effect on nutrient uptake, the effects of homemade sprays on plants, and possible disease issues (the shoestring leaves are often indicative of CMV) - it really would be better to start your own new thread. Plus that way the replies would get emailed to you rather than to hopefull, the original poster.

And when you post please try to include as much detail as possible, timing of the application relative to planting, other supplements added, exact proportions of the spray you used, have aphids been an issue, etc.

Thanks.

Dave

This post was edited by digdirt on Tue, Jun 3, 14 at 18:35

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

Eugene - I sent you an email.

Dave

• Amy Larson
    9 years ago

I have had this problem this year and so have 2 other friends that live 10 miles and 12 miles away. I took my leaves & soil the CSU diagnostic lab and they said it was herbicide damage from contaminated horse and cow manure! The worst part is that the hay meadows were sprayed with herbicide to kill thistles, the animals ate the hay, the herbicide went through unchanged, the manure was 6 years old. Dang! It was still toxic to tomatoes even after being in the environment that long.

We washed all the soil off of the damaged tomatoes and repotted in potting soil. They really didn't improve but the new plants in potting soil are fine.

The people in the lab said that the fruit is PROBABLY okay to eat.... DANG again!

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?