Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chambers_gw

Good source for Anna Russian seeds?

chambers
9 years ago

Hi Folks,

I was wondering if anyone had a good source for Anna Russian seeds? I grew the variety for the first time last season and they did lovely, except the fruits were not heart shaped like I had hoped. I know it's silly -- well let's face it, all of this is a little silly :-) -- but I was hoping for somewhat consistently heart shaped fruit. Does anyone know of a good vendor?

Thank you in advance for any assistance you may be able to provide.

-- Chambers

Comments (7)

• carolyn137
    9 years ago

See the link below and then click on seed availabilty.

If it's ONLY Anna Russain seed that you are looking for then I suggest either The Sample Seed Shop or Pinetree Seeds, both of which you can Google since both of them sell a small number of seeds for a very low price.

And both are reliable,

From the initial link belowyou can see that Neil in IL got seeds from me in 1993, and that I also featured it in my tomato book.

So it's been around a long time, and as far as hearts ago, IMO it's still one of the best.

Hope that helps,

Carolyn, who thinks you might want to save the home page for Tania's superb website. When at the Anna Russian page go to the HOME page at the upper left and click on that.

Here is a link that might be useful: Anna Russian

• chambers
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions, Carolyn.

• sharonrossy
    9 years ago

I agree with Carolyn, Tania has a great website. I also get seeds from Tomatofest, but mostly from Tania. I'm growing Anna Russian for the second year. Mine were all heart shaped. I'm also growing Ukrainian Heart. Are you thinking of growing them this year?

• chambers
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh, I like those Ukrainian Hearts! I realize I'm a little late for getting things started but I was hoping to plant them in containers this year. I've read that the usually date for putting tomatoes outside where I live is May 31, so I'm probably just a couple of weeks behind.

Am I correct that those Ukrainian Heart's look a little more heart shaped than the Anna Russian? Do you have any other suggestions for heart shaped tomatoes?

• carolyn137
    9 years ago

Below I linked to a few hundred heart varieties from Tania's website. But to know me is to know that I'm a dedicated heart lover, The heart shapes can differ as to acute tips, or blunt tips, some are double hearts, etc,

Here's a short list of ones that I prefer and not in any order although I could list maybe my top 5 if you wanted me to do so,

Kosovo
    Danko
    German red Strawberry
    Kukla's Portuguese Heart
    Linnie's Oxheart
    Fish Lake Oxheart
    Nicky Crain
    Cuore di Bue
    Serdtse Buivola
    Russian #117
    Wes
    Indiana Red
    Joe's Pink Oxheart
    Ukranian Heart (TNMUJ strain)

Of all the varieties I've grown I think the taste of most of the hearts is tops, Few seeds ,which is a plus for some and negative for those who save seeds.

Carolyn

Here is a link that might be useful: Heart varieties

This post was edited by carolyn137 on Sun, May 4, 14 at 12:52

• ABlindHog
    9 years ago

" I could list maybe my top 5 if you wanted me to"

Carolyn
    I and probably many others would love to hear your top 5 hearts.

Mike

• seysonn
    9 years ago

I was in Fred Myers Nursery today.
    The had Anna Russian plants @ $1.99. Good sturdy, about 6".
    I don't have anymore space otherwise would have bought one.

Sponsored
Schlabach Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars16 Reviews
Franklin County's Reclaimed Wood Professionals