Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arlinek

DIY black 18 gal. contain. for tomatoes; color okay?

arlinek
16 years ago

I'm going to make a few DIY "earthboxes" using the std. 18 gal. Rubbermaid-type of containers. I found them in black instead of blue, which I prefer as far as appearance goes in my garden. I live in a MILD, summer climate here in San Diego - mainly mid 70s to 80s for the most part. So, will the black color be okay or is it still likely to heat up too much and "cook" the roots? Or, could I just lean a white-colored board along the exposed sides when necessary? We're talking about 3 boxes. If no good, I could exchange for the blue or gray ones I've also seen in the store.

Comments (9)

• digdirt2
    16 years ago

Hi arlinek - I have 2 very large black plastic containers (plastic 55 gal drum cut in half) and I don't find that they they cause any problems for the plants in them - any more than for those in the blue containers anyway. ;)

If it is convenient to block some of the direct sun from hitting them, then it might be good to do so but in your climate I think you ought to be ok. Good luck.

• atascosa_tx
    16 years ago

I live in Texas where it gets brutally hot in the summer and I use reflective insulation boards to shield the sides of the containers..In your region it might not be necessary but it might not hurt to shade them. As Shown..old pic 4 weeks old..shielding the north and west sides of the containers.

I'll have to update my pictures soon because peeps have wondered how well the HM Earthbox(tm) containers were working. UPDATED PICS TODAY

Happy gardening..:)

• snoggerboy
    16 years ago

Exellent idea to insulate the containers from heat - I may try same. Mine have just been planted with red mulch on top ( just because I have it) and I keep the overflow hole plugged with cottonwool and overfill a bit to moisten the growing medium. Should be fine today. Best for 2008 all.

• tom8olvr
    16 years ago

Ingenious! Impressed with your ingenuitive solution.

• dangould
    16 years ago

Black is the best color to keep the roots in the dark. keeping the roots in the dark is very important. Also black plastic will have a longer life over colored plastic. The sunlight breaks down plastic. black is best to break down slower.

shading the box with the insulation is a super idea. Nice and creative. The roots must stay cool to live and grow. also the water reservoir is best kept a little cool. so this is an excellent idea.

• blue_jean_baby
    16 years ago

atascosa_tx , those are nice looking containers. did you buy them or make them? I might try to duplicate them. Did you make drainage holes?

Dawn

• bruce825
    16 years ago

I put 32 gallon black plastic trash bags over my homemade Earthboxes to protect them from UV rays and to act as a mulch covers. It worked well for me.

You can see them here.

Here is a link that might be useful: Homemade EBs on my garage roof

• elskunkito
    16 years ago

Since when is 70-80 mild??? :)

I live in PNW. Even below 70 degrees, black containers get hot FAST in the full sun.

In the cold spring the heat is a good thing, but soon after its too much. After spring I wrap my black containers with white tyvek. Instant, if somewhat unsightly cool down method.

• atascosa_tx
    16 years ago

blue Jean....Surprised that this thread popped up and yes I made them and yes they have drainage holes..and as far as production...pics speak for them selves..
    arlinek..the lighter colored are better,,,but if they aint available you can shade them..
    cover the north and west sides.

Happy gardening..

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES