Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newyorkrita

What tomatoes are you planting this year?

newyorkrita
11 years ago

I bought my tomato sets yesterday. I always get plants as we have a really great selection around here. Tomorrow I will start planting them as today I was busy planting the annuals that I also bought yesterday.

Well, I did plant the "patio" tomato plant in a big planter which is actually a plastic half barrel.

I have six packs of VIVA ITALIA, a roma type and PARKS WHOPPER which I often get and JULIET grape tomatoes, I love grape tomatoes and been buying them at the supermarket (I snack on them) and EARLY GIRL which is another I always get and BEEFMASTER. Then I have single plants of MORTGAGE LIFTER, SWEET 100, SUPER FANTASTIC, another Grape tomato and two BETTER BOYS. Plus that patio type that is already planted.

The single plants I bought at Home Depot which really has a good selection if you want your plants one at a time. Then the six packs I bought at my favorite nursery that I buy most of my plants at. They had thier veggies out for sale as they have them inside. It has been cold here, too cold for tomatoes but by the end of the week it is supposed to get really nice. Well, Home Depot always has their tomatoes outside and they haven't died so I guess they will be ok here too. Tomorrow I am gonna start planting them.

So what tomato types is everyone planting? I just love my home grown summer tomatoes!

Comments (124)

• thetradition
    11 years ago

Better Boy and Supersweet 100.

I grew both in the fall with mixed feelings about both varieties and want to see how they do in the spring.

I did produce a lot of fruit from both varieties, harvested over a long period of time, which is nice. Two plants (one of each) did not produce much and failed early. I thought they were in the best location due to sunlight, but root knot nematodes did them in. Won't plant there again.

Fruit splitting was a big problem with the better boys... hopefully, a spring planting will have less of that.

• annie1957
    11 years ago

For paste/plum, going mostly with hybrids (anything to help hold back the BER)
    Viva Italia
    San Marzano Gigante 3
    Super Sauce (the Burpee Catalog made me do it:-))
    Tony's Italian

Prue
    Kosovo
    Kalman's Hungarian Pink
    Red Boar
    Pink Berkley Tie-Dye
    Ananas Noir

Bella Rosa
    Big Beef
    Kellogg's B-fast
    Pantano Romanesco
    Arkansas Traveler
    Amazon Chocolate
    Black Krim
    Cherokee Purple
    Earl's Faux
    German Johnson PL
    Lemon Boy
    Better Boy
    Brandy Boy
    Early Girl
    Lucky Cross or VA Sweets
    Rutgers

Peace Vine Cherry
    Black Cherry
    Sun Gold
    Sweet 100 (maybe)

And have around 160 superhot, hot, and sweet peppers already under lights. Hmm. And a pop-up greenhouse with . . . Sluggo Plus, lol. Peace. Annie

• Charlie
    11 years ago

This year, I decided to mix it up. I am planting:

Park's Whopper (improved)
    2 varieties of Beefsteak
    1 Better Boy
    Mrs Maxwell's Big Italian
    San Marzano

• garden_love
    11 years ago

I will be growing:

Red Furry Boar
    Amos Coli
    Sweet Solano
    Gypsy
    Indian Stripe
    Black Plum
    Hillbilly
    Cherokee Purple
    Black Cherry
    Gruntvii Griboskiy 1180
    Ceylon
    Nebraska Wedding
    Sungella
    Golden Grape

I have a fre more but thats most of them. I will be growing half of each.kind in pots and the other half in the ground.

• thebutcher
    11 years ago

10 of "Ramapo F1 hybrid" by Rutgers
    5 of "4th of July hybrid" - by Burpee

3 - (thinking about a Black Krim? or some kind of Tasty Yellow or off color tomatoe?)

Zone - 6 - Philladelphia/Trenton area

This post was edited by thebutcher on Thu, Mar 7, 13 at 15:50

• BioTomato
    11 years ago

Yellow Pear
    Japanese Trifele Black
    Chalk's Early Jewel
    Principe Borghese
    Martino's Roma

• Lostereadamy
    11 years ago

Paul Robeson x4
    Hillbilly/Flame x4
    Black Cherry x2
    Sweet 100 Cherry x1
    Big Boy x 6
    San Marzano x ~45
    San Marzano #2 x ~20
    Green Zebra x 6
    possibly some others, but these are the for sures.

• monet_g
    11 years ago

It's just me and the dog (he loves tomatoes - grrr). I'm putting in -
    Brandy Boy
    Black Krim
    Cherokee Purple
    Sunsugar (or Sungold, if I can't find seeds locally)

thebutcher, you must try Black Krim. If I could only grow one, that would be it.

• Ohiofem 6a/5b Southwest Ohio
    11 years ago

I just started my seeds and can hardly contain my excitement. I am growing one each of the following in 25-gallon smart pots with Texas Tomato Cages:
    Brandywine, Sudduth
    Brandy Boy
    Mortgage lifter, Estler
    Stump of the World
    Kosovo
    Earl's Faux

And one each of the following in 20-gallon smart pots with Burpee XL Pro tomato cages:
    Goose Creek
    Jetsetter
    Cherokee Purple

I just got additional seeds in trade that I'm going to save for next year. If some of my seeds don't sprout within a week, these are my back ups:
    Black Krim
    Pruden's Purple
    Arkansas Traveller

• timomac
    11 years ago

I've started my seeds indoors. It is officially tomato season therefore the weather must improve.

This year:
    Jaune Flamme
    Opalka
    Cherokee Purple
    Mortgage Lifter
    KBX
    Black Cherry
    Sungold

• thebutcher
    11 years ago

@ monet_g

I was thinking about the Black Krim last week, I should of ordered it then before my vacation, but per your advice and seeing the majority of posts are growing them it I made my mind up and ordered 30 seeds just now for about $2.

Today I am starting my "Ramapo" and "4th of July" tomatoe seeds 10 and 10 in peat pellets. The delivery for Black Krim should take 3-5 business days then will start them.

SO now my updated list is:

1. Ramapo F1 Hybrid
    2. Fourth of July Hybrid
    3. Black Krim Heirloom

About 10 of each

Many thanks for the advice.

This post was edited by thebutcher on Thu, Mar 14, 13 at 13:45

• leonaob
    11 years ago

I have a small garden with just 2 celebrity plants and I'm new to gardening so I'm very interested in other people's experiences with these plants and their tomatoes. They have already grown from 5 inches to 16 Inches in just a month.

• monet_g
    11 years ago

the butcher, I'm glad you are going to grow BK.

I noticed that you're using peat pellets. Most people don't have very good luck with them. For me, I always had damping off. I now start my seedlings in styrofoam coffee cups in a seed mix/medium. I put them on heat inside a plastic bag. Once they germinate I remove the bag, pull them off the heat and place them under lights. Once they're growing along well (~4 weeks old), I move them up to beer cups. Then, I'll plant them out 2 to 4 weeks later - after hardening them off.

There's different ways of doing it, but this has worked well for me (and many others). There's been a lot of discussion here on the pains of the peat pellets.

Good luck,
    Gail

This post was edited by monet_g on Fri, Mar 15, 13 at 10:09

• pasco
    11 years ago

this years list:
    Cour di Bue
    Pantano Romanesco
    Red Pear
    Chianti Rose
    Pineapple
    Hillbilly
    Brandywine
    San Marzano Lungo No. 2
    Glacier
    sungold

This post was edited by pasco on Tue, Mar 26, 13 at 22:05

• hudson___wy
    11 years ago

Brandy Boy - Better Boy - Super Marzano - German Giant - Sweet Baby Girl. They are off to a good start in our cold climate !

{{gwi:291797}}

• nialialea
    11 years ago

I am so ridiculously jealous of those who have access to great starts or the foresight to order ahead. I guess I'll have to try again for fall!

At this point, the scrawny ones from Home Depot are about the same size as the much nicer ones I bought from Arborgate two weeks later.

Early girl
    Heinz super roma
    Homestead
    Roma Juliet
    Cherokee purple x2
    Sweet 100
    Roma
    Red pear
    Viva Italia x2
    San Marzano
    Reisentraube
    Patio

• caryltoo Z7/SE PA
    11 years ago

Black Krim (always)
    SuperSauce (the catalog picture got me, too)
    Marianna's Peace
    Anna Russian (always)
    Amish Paste
    Cherokee Purple
    Stupice
    Box Car Willie
    Marglobe
    Great White
    Andrew Rahart
    Mortgage Lifter
    Florida Pink

• sue_ct
    11 years ago

I just started seeds today, and so far I have:

Kellogg's Breakfast
    Estler's Mortgage Lifter
    Brandywine Sudduth
    Fish Lake Oxheart
    Linnies Oxheart
    German Red Strawberry
    Sophie's Choice (will probably go in a Pot)
    Wes
    Black Cherry
    Cherokee Purple Heart

I still plan to start:
    Kosovo
    Danko
    Orange Minsk
    Anna Russian

Only about 7-8 can fit in the garden, but I have about 6 large pots, including 3 20 gallon grow bags I just ordered. 5 of these are new for me, so this should be an interesting year. I hope they are as good as I have heard.

• sharonrossy
    11 years ago

Hi, I just started:
    Aunt Gertie's Gold, 6 seeds
    Black Russian, 6
    Gold Nugget (cherry), 6
    Druzba, 6
    Bloody butcher, 6
    Brandywine Sudduth, 4
    Tasmanian chocolate, 8
    Sun sugar, 2
    Cuore Di Bue, 11 ( apparently this is different from cuor Di Bue)
    Black from Tula, 12
    Iditatrod, 9
    Orange Strawberry, 6

I have no idea what will happen. It's been a long time since I started my own seeds, so here's hoping!
    Sharon

• Jetherina
    11 years ago

Lime Green Salad
    Mountain Gold Hyb
    Bella Rosa
    Super Tasty Hyb
    Bush Early Girl
    Northern Exposure
    Brandy Boy
    Ball's Beefsteak
    Goliath
    Green Cherokee
    Cobra Hyb

Sun Gold
    Juliet
    Black Cherry

Super Sauce
    Yaqui Hyb

• number2
    11 years ago

So many of you have space for so many varieties, I am so envy! I bought all these plants this year and am still trying to figure out where to plant them - looking for suggestion!! Please refer to my post: http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/tomato/msg0416213619765.html

Some will probably be sacrified and be put under shade or extreme tight space:

Black Krim
    Black Cherry
    Black Prince
    Sukura
    Stupice
    Roma
    Early Girl
    Sweet 100
    Yellow Pear
    Sun Cherry
    Sun Gold

• Barbara E
    11 years ago

Ramapo
    Kelloggs Breakfast
    Big Beef
    Sweet Chelsea
    Jaune Flamme
    Sungold
    Black Krim
    Eva's Purple Ball
    Cherokee Purple
    Cherokee Green
    Rosella Purple
    San Marzano 2
    Arkansas Traveler
    Pantano Romanesco

• macky77
    11 years ago

I always love these threads, even though I don't grow as many as everyone else! :)

Most of my toms this year will be the F3 of a variety I want to de-hybridize, so that doesn't leave much garden space for tonnes of other varieties. However, I will make room for a couple each of:

Anna Russian
    Applause (favourite)
    Black Krim
    Polish Linguisa
    San Marzano

The kids want a tomato in their little garden area, so I'm starting Juliet for them. It's too sweet for my taste, but I have the leftover seed and the kids like sweet and prolific, so they can have it.

• caryltoo Z7/SE PA
    11 years ago

I love these threads, too. It's nice to see that I'm not alone in loving Black Krim.

It seems like many are growing Jaune Flamme. I'll have to look that up as a possibility for next year.

• Moorlord
    11 years ago

Grandma's pick 60
    Beaverlodge 50
    Sweet million 20
    Black Krim 5
    Brandywine 5
    Sungold 5

Im goin nuts this year. First time growing from seed, and so far so good. Last year my garden was 8' x 16' this year its 40' by 80'.

• speckledhound
    11 years ago

Legend
    Abraham Lincoln
    Omar's Lebanese Giant
    Hillbilly
    Beefmaster
    Sungold
    Yellow Pear
    Chocolate Cherry
    Red Currant

Those are the ones I have started already. I plan to go out to my favorite greenhouse to get a few more specimens:

Kellogg's Breakfast
    Green Zebra
    Stupice
    Pineapple

I picked them based on previous experience with taste and disease resistance, and the new (to me) varieties I researched for blight resistance. I plant in a community garden that just can't get rid of the blight. We'll see what survives and for how long.

• susanlynne48
    11 years ago

Third year grower. Plants grown from seed are ready for hardening off and planting if our weather will ever cooperate. We are way past last frost date of April 1.

San Marzano Redorto
    Hawaiian Currant
    JD' s Special C Tex
    Gary'O Sena
    Chocolate Stripes
    Vorlon
    Indian Stripe
    New Big Dwarf
    Bloody Butcher
    Greek Rose

I need to pick up a Black Cherry and a SunGold yet at the farmer's market and I will be done. Oh, my seeds came from Gleckler's and Gary at TomatoFest.

Susan

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow, I was surprised to see this thread from last year is still going only on our 2013 lists.

I brought back favorites from last year and am also growing new to me varieties this year.

1 Viva Italia
    1 Sungold
    1 Suggery
    1 Kelloggs Breakfast
    1 Prudens Purple
    6 Big Boy
    6 Better Boy
    6 Beefmaster
    6 Early Girl
    6 Juliet
    6 Sweet Million
    6 Rutgers
    6 Jet Star
    6 Big Beef

I already bought these seedlongs yesterday. I did have seeds of all sorts of varieties but never got around to starting them.

Kelloggs Breakfast and Prudens Purple are my heirlooms to try this year. Last year I had Cherokee Purple but decided not to bring it back.

Of course I bright back my favorites of Big Boys, Better Boys and Beefmasters. Also the grape tomato Juliets that mostly get a bad rap on this forum but I love them.

Jet Star, Big Beef and Rutgers are ones I wanted to try since reading about them last year.

• sharonrossy
    10 years ago

Hey Rita,
    So an update to what I started:

Hi, I just started:
    Black Russian, 6
    Gold Nugget (cherry), only 1
    Druzba, 6
    Bloody butcher, 6
    Brandywine Sudduth, 4
    Tasmanian chocolate, 8
    Sun sugar, 1
    Black from Tula, 12
    Iditatrod, 9
    Orange Strawberry, 6

I have recently started Costoluto Genovese
    Tim's Black ruffles.
    Black pear
    black Krim
    Big Rainbow
    Aunt Ruby's German Green
    Anna's Russian

Kellogg's breakfast was a complete washout. I am also started Sun Sugar and Juliet in the hopes I'll have time to plant them.
    Sharon

• sharonrossy
    10 years ago

Hey Rita,
    So an update to what I started:

Hi, I just started:
    Black Russian, 6
    Gold Nugget (cherry), only 1
    Druzba, 6
    Bloody butcher, 6
    Brandywine Sudduth, 4
    Tasmanian chocolate, 8
    Sun sugar, 1
    Black from Tula, 12
    Iditatrod, 9
    Orange Strawberry, 6

I have recently started Costoluto Genovese
    Tim's Black ruffles.
    Black pear
    black Krim
    Big Rainbow
    Aunt Ruby's German Green
    Anna's Russian

Kellogg's breakfast was a complete washout. I am also started Sun Sugar and Juliet in the hopes I'll have time to plant them.
    Sharon

• carolync1
    10 years ago

Entire list would be boring, but I'm growing some small yellow and orange tomatoes this year to see which is best for our conditions:

AAA Sweet Solano
    Jaune Flamme
    Yellow Perfection
    Little Lucky

Already know that AAA Sweet Solano does well here. Yellow Perfection already has some fairly sizable fruits. Also have four orange cherries: Sungold, Sun Sugar, Orange Paruche and Sweet Orange II.

Going with Nyagous again as my "black" tomato, with Black Krim for comparison (didn't bear last year). And trying Indian Stripe, with Cherokee Purple for comparison (also didn't bear last year).

• eetchickn
    10 years ago

Cherokee Purple
    Big Mamma
    Super Sauce
    Better Boy
    Amish Paste
    Roma
    Black Cherry
    Yellow Pear

One or two other types escape me. So far I have 46 in the ground and another 20+ will go in this weekend. Its going to be an exciting year if they produce well.

• phoebe368
    10 years ago

San Marzano
    Vorlon
    Mortgage lifter
    Celebrity

I started Vorlon and Mortgage Lifter from seed using a Jiffy seed starting kit (the one with the peat pellets) purchased from the Home Depot. I saved the seed from last year's crop. All of the seeds sprouted. I find that my plants grow larger if I start them from seed.

• mandolls
    10 years ago

I just finished dividing seedlings and potting them up - we have a later season than most of you. I dont put them in the ground until the end of May.

I have had decent success with the Costoluto Genovese, Early Girl and Pruden's Purple - the rest are new for me.

Costoluto Genovese
    Green Zebra
    Prudens Purple
    Early Girl
    Parks Whopper
    Goose Creek
    Belmonte
    Kosovo

• ditnc
    10 years ago

Black Krim
    San Marzano
    Cherokee Purple
    Mortgage Lifter
    Amish Paste

BK, SM and CP from seed. I don't have much space with full sun, so I am trying very hard to stop myself from buying more plants. But I keep finding myself at garden centers in the tomato plant section!

• daniel_nyc
    10 years ago

Beefmaster
    Better Bush
    Brandywine (Grafted)
    Brandywine Pink
    Brandywine Red
    Bush Big Boy
    Bush Goliath
    Delicious
    Early Girl
    Early Goliath
    Fourth of July
    Giant Belgium Pink
    Husky Cherry Red
    Monster
    Mortgage Lifter (Grafted)
    Super Sweet 100
    Supersteak
    Sweet Million Cherry

The 8-10âÂÂâ seedlings

{{gwi:294611}}

are very happy in the cold frame

{{gwi:294608}}

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh, very nice set up. They are really doing well.

• daniel_nyc
    10 years ago

Tx newyorkrita. Check here if you want to see more pictures of my cold frame.

• sharonrossy
    10 years ago

Just curious - what size pots are they in? Mine are in 4" pots and I'm wondering if I will have to repot.

• sharonrossy
    10 years ago

I keep starting seedlings, but I have a question regarding Costoluto Genovese. I have seedlings, but the general consensus is that it's not so hot on flavor. I am debating whether or not to transplant into the 4" pots. Any thoughts anyone on this tomato?

• daniel_nyc
    10 years ago

Sharonie wrote: > Just curious - what size pots are they in?

They are CowPots - 6".

> Mine are in 4" pots and I'm wondering if I will have to repot.

Being in zone 5b, I suggest you to repot. It will be a while until transplanting, and by then, the roots will be too crowded in the 4âÂÂâ pot.

This post was edited by Daniel_NY on Sun, Apr 28, 13 at 20:29

• Charlie
    10 years ago

I participated in the seed exchange this year for the first time. I received a wide variety of tomato seeds, but many did not germinate. So this year I am planting PARKS WHOPPER, Beefsteak, Bush Big Boy, early girl and roma.

• mambooman
    10 years ago

New to the forum although I have been reading it for the past 2 years. I plan on planting the below (some of which I did last year):

Black Krim
    Better Boy
    Beef Master
    Brandywine Pink
    Mortgage Lifter
    San Marzano
    Super Sauce
    Super Sweet 100
    Yellow Currant
    Yellow Pear
    4th of July
    Sunchola

I plan on atleast 2 of each type but that may change.

• jadie88
    10 years ago

I have definitely over-bought for our needs, but I just can't resist a pretty face!

Better Bush
    Better Boy
    Tomatoberry Garden
    Husky Red Cherry
    Tiny Tim
    SunGold

• arley_gw
    10 years ago

This is the first year I've grown any from seed, and I overdid it. I'm about 20 miles from Augusta, GA, on the line between Zone 7a and 8b. Hot summers, often dry, Wanted to see which Heirloom types survive in this setting.

From Seed Savers Exchange:

Cherokee Purple
    Black Krim
    Black Cherry

From Tomatofest:

Mortgage Lifter (red)
    Arkansas Traveler
    Opalka
    Marianna's Peace
    Stump o' the World
    Winsall

From Burpee: Brandy Boy

And in a moment of weakness I bought several plants at a garden center: One each of Druzba, Reisentraube, Park's Whopper, Beefmaster, Rutgers, Marglobe, Celebrity, Super Sweet 100, Summer Set and Goliath hybrid.

When I started the seedlings, I found that by far the most vigorous seedlings were the Black Krim, followed by Cherokee Purple and Arkansas Traveler. Don't know if that will translate into better plants, but they were definitely better as seedlings. All of them seem to be doing well in the ground, though.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Tha ammended tomato growing list after thowaways, giveaways and rebuys.
    62 plants- All planted! Let the tomato crazies begin.
    12 Better Boy
    6 Big Boy
    6 Beefmaster
    6 Early Girl
    6 Rutgers
    6 Jet Star
    6 Big Beef
    4 Juliet
    4 Sweet Million
    3 Supersonic
    1 Viva Italia
    1 Sungold
    1 Sugery

• christacharlene
    10 years ago

Cherokee Purple
    Box Car Willie
    Rutgers
    Zeke Dishman
    Hillbilly
    Big Rainbow
    Beef Steak
    Tommy Toes

Big Boy
    Sun Sugar

• vajeff
    10 years ago

First it was seed collecting, and then winter sowing, and now tomato varieties... I think I went a little overboard this year. I don't know where I'm going to plant all of these!

Dwarf Emerald Giant
    Dwarf Mr. Snow
    Dwarf Wild Fred
    Summertime Gold
    Summertime Green
    Iditarod Red
    Red Robin
    Tiny Tim
    Lime Green Salad
    Tasmanian Chocolate
    Silvery Fir Tree
    Indigo Rose
    Variegated
    Maiden's Gold
    Persimmon
    Beefsteak
    Beef Maestro
    Italian Market Wonder
    Remy Rouge
    Big Rainbow
    College Challenger
    Purple Calabash
    Brandywine
    Yellow Stuffer
    Aunt Lou's Underground Railroad
    San Marzano
    Roma VF
    Costoluto Genovese
    Aztec
    Eva Purple Ball
    New Big Dwarf
    Japanese Black Trifele
    Blondkopfchen
    and several more that will be sown this weekend.

Most are going to be used for breeding, so I'll only have a single plant of those. The reds were requested for giving away and eating, with the exception of the dwarf reds which will be used for breeding too.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It is always fun to see what everyone is growing. I just realised that I planted my tomatoes in ground this year earlier than I even went to buy my plants last year. Already there is a slight amount of growth on the seedlings.

• purple1701
    10 years ago

This is my first year gardening. Yesterday I planted:
    4 Supersweet cherry
    4 LaRoma II
    4 Health Kick
    4 Beefsteak

I realized later that at least 2 of them are hybrids, which as I hear does not bode well for saving seed, but oh well. They were cheap and happened to be near where I was grocery shopping which saved me a 3hour trip to the nursery I had intended to go to. I'll have to be a little more prepared next year!

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!