Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What tomatoes are you planting this year?

Posted by newyorkrita z6b/7a LI NY (My Page) on
Wed, May 2, 12 at 18:26

I bought my tomato sets yesterday. I always get plants as we have a really great selection around here. Tomorrow I will start planting them as today I was busy planting the annuals that I also bought yesterday.

Well, I did plant the "patio" tomato plant in a big planter which is actually a plastic half barrel.

I have six packs of VIVA ITALIA, a roma type and PARKS WHOPPER which I often get and JULIET grape tomatoes, I love grape tomatoes and been buying them at the supermarket (I snack on them) and EARLY GIRL which is another I always get and BEEFMASTER. Then I have single plants of MORTGAGE LIFTER, SWEET 100, SUPER FANTASTIC, another Grape tomato and two BETTER BOYS. Plus that patio type that is already planted.

The single plants I bought at Home Depot which really has a good selection if you want your plants one at a time. Then the six packs I bought at my favorite nursery that I buy most of my plants at. They had thier veggies out for sale as they have them inside. It has been cold here, too cold for tomatoes but by the end of the week it is supposed to get really nice. Well, Home Depot always has their tomatoes outside and they haven't died so I guess they will be ok here too. Tomorrow I am gonna start planting them.

So what tomato types is everyone planting? I just love my home grown summer tomatoes!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What tomatoes are you planting this year?

Cherokee Green
Celebrity x2
Sun Gold x2
Marion
Kellogg's Breakfast
Sandul Moldovan
Cherokee Purple

Here is a link that might be useful: My Garden and Tomatoes

o

Off the top of my head -

Bella Rosa (new)
Glory
Sprite (new)
Giant Belgium
New Big Dwarf
Champion
Rutgers
Red Oxheart
German Strawberry
KBX
Marianna's Peace
Brandy Boy
Arkansas Traveler
Brandywine OTV
Grandma's Pick (new)
Fletcher (new)
Black Krim
Super Boy (new)
San Marzano
Bush Big Boy
Beefy Boy (new)

Several of each. I know there are others but that is all I can think of right now.

Dave

o

This is my 4th year gardening. I really got into canning my tomatoes last year, so I doubled my garden and planted a wider variety than usual this year. I have 1 Cherokee Purple, 2 Better Boys, 2 German Striped, 1 La Roma II, 1 Matt's Wild Cherry, 1 rutgers, 1 brandywine. This is coming from someone who usually only grows 4-5 tomato plants, so I'm pretty excited! It will be the first time I've tried the Cherokee Purple, German Striped, Rutgers, and La Romma II. :)

o

Husky Cherry Red x5
Celebrity x4
Black Prince x1
Big Boy x4
Mr. Stripey x1

The Husky Cherry Red's have just started turning from green to red.... I'm already salivating :)

o

I am really excited for this year's garden season.

I am planting

4 Cherokee Purples
1 Rutgers
6 Super Sioux
6 San Marzano
2 Marglobe
2 Beefstakes
2 German Queens

Last year was horrible with the tomatoes. Everything else in the garden surpassed our expectations but the tomatoes were dismal and just didn't do well once we got the really hot weather last year. My husband is the one who has the magic touch with the tomatoes and he was gone for much of last summer. I am hoping I do better this year as he will only be home a couple weekends a month so it is up to the kids and I.

I never realized there were so many varieties. I tried to really pick tomatoes that I found intriguing or had a neat history.

I wanted to grow Marianna's peace but can't find it locally at all so I think that may be for next year.

I am hoping that this year we do great. I would love to be able to can tomatoes, make spaghetti sauce and have a bunch to eat. My son (10 yrs old) wants to do a little stand by the end of the driveway and has been helping.

o

Aunt Ruby's German Green
Gill's All Purpose
Legend
Opalka
San Marzano
Dorothy's Delight
Cherokee Purple
Pruden's Purple
Sun Gold
Chocolate Cherry
Striped German
Gold Medal
Persimmon
Paul Robeson
Isis Cherry
Mortgage Lifter
Matina
Ananas Noir
Unknown volunteer sprouting from a bag of teufel compost-we'll see what happens

o

My 2012 List:

Black Krim
German Johnson
Sungold
Carbon
Mortgage Lifter
Green Zebra
Stupice
Cherokee Purple
Paul Robeson
Big Beef
Kelloggs Breakfast
Pineapple

I know it's pretty heavy on the blacks, but I just love their flavor. Happy Growing everyone!!

Don

o

Ace
Early Girl
Green Zebra
Sunsugar
Super Sweet 100
Black Cherry
Sugar Plum
Husky Cherry Red

We're heavy on the cherry toms as my kids and I love them. My neighbor said the Pink Ping Pong she got as a seedling at the farmer's market was awesome but I couldn't find it and I'm out of room anyway. Maybe next year...

o

Aunt Ruby's Green German
Green Grape
Sun Sweet
Sweet 100
Carmello
Black Pearl
Black Cherry (x2)
Sunsugar
Green Tomatillo
Purple Tomatillo

First year planting tomatoes and I have no idea what I'm doing. I've been lurking these boards trying to pick up some good names, and trying out different spots in my yard to see what works where!

o

Cherokee Purple, Black Krim, San Marzano, Better Boy, Brandy Boy, Sungold

o

Persimmon Yellow
Trifele Black
Cosmonaut Volkov
Big Beef
Bella Rosa
Gold Nugget
Red Jelly Bean
Black Cherry

I forgot to plant Mortgage Lifters, I hope to be able to find some at the farmers market.

o

Hi to everyone from a first-time poster. I've been reading this Forum for years and benefitting from it.

Like original poster "newyorkrita," I have an amazing selection of tomato starter plants in my area (Sonoma County, CA). Starters, including popular heirloom varieties, are sold everwhere from high-end nursersies to "big box" stores to the local pharmacy. My choices for this year:

Early Girl
New Girl (a standard offering at Harmony Farms)
Big Beef x 2
Better Boy
Kellogg's Breakfast
Black Krim
Supersweet 100's
Bush Champion

I have grown the first three on the list previously, in my small backyard veggie garden. Securing an addtional 4x10 raised bed at a nearby community garden this year has allowed me to expand my scope.

Rationale for above choices:
- New Girl is supposed to be a more flavorable and disease resistant variety than Early Girl. I plan to "test" this claim by planting both side by side in the community garden plot.
- Big Beef. I planted this last year and found it had good flavor and the best disease resistance of any I've grown so far.
- Better Boy. Experimental; adding another beeksteak hybrid into the mix to compare/contrast with Big Beef.
- Kellogg's Breakfast and Black Krim: seem to be favorites on this forum, thought I'd give them a try. Though, generally have not had good luck with heirlooms.
-Supersweet 100's: On-going quest for a good cherry.
-Bush Champion. Planted in a 15-gal. container here at home. One of the few "Bush" varieties I was able to find.

Eliminated from consideration because they did not do well for me in years past: Caspian Pink, Mortgage Lifter, Cherokee Purple. However, as I get a handle on better organic gardening practices, I might give these another try in the future--except for Caspian Pink which was overall just too dismal (plant never got higher than about 18 inches and all fruit had sunscald).

Jane
zone 8b (I think)

o

This year I've got Brandywine, Sweet Baby Girl, and Cherokee Purple. The Brandywine has been a reliable favorite for me the last few years. Sweet Baby Girl has the tastiest cherries I've had in ages, they're awesome. And Cherokee Purple is a new(ish) one for me. I attempted it last year, but planted too early and it froze and never really produced. I have two of those this time around, and we should be well past last frost, so I think I'm in the clear this time.

o

I'm going for mostly plums since I can't seem to find them in the farmer's markets around here and I really like them for sauces:

San Marzano
Margharita
Roman Candle
Italian Gold
Boxcar Willie
Dr. Wyche

This is a first time experiment, so wish me luck!

o

I am cutting back this year and planting more plants of fewer varieties.

I have:

Itallian Heirloom
Brandywine OTV
Brandywine Suddeths
Sandul Moldovan
A productive Brandywine Pink I bought at a nursery last yr.
Neves Azorean Red
Rostova
Amana Orange
Cherokee Green
Cherokee Purple
German Giant
Marianna's Peace
Julia Child
Black Krim
Bosque Blue
Trip-L-Crop
bulls heart
Kimberly
Moscow (A local Utah favorite)
F2 cross between Dagma's Perfection and an unknown black
and about a dozen volunteers that could be any of the varieties I grew last year.

o

I may be in trouble since these are on the Never Again thread, but I'm trying

Brandywine (Sudduth)
Speckled Roman
Gardener's Delight

again this year since last year was so wet I didn't get any tomatoes off them, the plants drowned (Irene was the final blow). Not sure how many plants of each - I won't plant in the same (carefully prepared, but poor-draining) area again, I have to get soil tests back to see if new area is ready. But at least a couple of each.

Started the last of the Glacier seed from last year - it grew pretty well and I got lots of fruit, but they were bland (weather), had green shoulders and an awful lot of cracking (definitely weather). They were planted in a different area than the indeterminates, they got septoria late last year so I'm growing peas there now.

New this year

Black Krim
Cherokee Purple
Bloody Butcher

I started some Super Sweet 100's to sell as starts and give my dad, I may keep 1 or 2 for myself - Sweet 100s have always done well for me, the kids love them.

But I also have to make sure I have room for my peppers (chiles and bells) and summer squash. Also trying some peas, kale, radishes, lettuce, maybe carrots and potatoes this year (I have 5 lbs of seed potatoes that are definitely going to get planted somewhere - pH of 5.5 shouldn't be too hard to achieve).

o

Looks like Black Krim and Cherokee Purple have been mentioned the most.

with San Marzano, Brandywine Big Beef and Supersweet 100's following in popularity (at least in the post).

Not that this means anything... but I have an idea of some of the more popular brands I could try in my garden next year. :)

o

I grow 4 plants in a single 4' x 4' raised bed, and this year have a Big Beef, Black Krim, Husky Cherry Red, and a Black Cherry.

o

Some women have to buy shoes in every style and color... I have to buy seed packets for (almost)every tomato variety. The tomatoes I'm planting this year are:
San Marzano, Roma, Reisentraube, Matt's Wild Cherry, Arkansas Traveler, Eva Purple Ball, Ace, Homestead, Cherokee Purple, Georgia Streak (of course), Atkinson, Rutger's, Celebrity, Beef Master, Big Boy, Better Boy and Early Girl.

I was going to plant additional varieties but, my family intervened and sent me to rehab.

o

I am tried of getting tomatoes two weeks before the first frost date (9/15) - north of Spokane WA. So I am planting

Sub Arctic
Oregon Spring

We will see...

o

Hi, everyone. Looks like some great lists. I container garden, so here's my list:

Black Cherry
Chocolate Cherry
Sun Gold
SunSugar
Black Prince
Cherokee Purple
Indian Stripe
Better Boy
Big Beef
Juliet
Bush Goliath
New Big Dwarf
Mountain Princess
Siletz
Top Sirloin

Here's hoping for a better year than 2011.

Susan

o

Black Sea Man
Big Rainbow
Pineapple
Black Krim
Mexico Midget
Speckled Roman
Rose Quartz
Black from Tula
Persimmon
Moonglow
Rutgers
Cherokee Purple
Paul Robeson
Marianna's Peace
Radiator Charlie's Mortgage Lifter
Isis Candy
Hillbilly

Dwarfs:
Sleeping Lady
Summertime Gold
Red Robin

o

24 Goliath
24 Big Boy
24 Better Boy
24 Red Beefsteak
18 Delicious
18 Big Beef
16 Roma
4 Grape

Got just a little carried away this year. I had planned to do all my tomatoes from seed this year. But got them a little late and they didn't get going as fast as I'd hoped. So I went out and bought plants ( all the 24's) but being the type person I am couldn't stand the thought of throwing out all my little babies. So I am going to try the single vine technique a try with them.

o

Like most tomato-obsessed types I spend the winter planning what I'll plant. I try to show restraint but it never works. Initially I settled on 7 varieties.

This year's planting of started or purchased plants:

Sun Gold
Arkansas Traveler
Black Cherry
Green Doctors
Matt's Wild Cherry
Snow White
Indigo Rose
Eva Purple Ball
Charlie Chaplin
Black from Tula
KBX
Striped Cavern
Black Krim
New Big Dwarf
Wes
Pineapple
Grandma Viney's
Cherokee Purple
Cherokee Purple Heart
Prue
BL
Frank's Large Red
Carbon
JD's
Aunt Ruby German Green
Black Brandywine
Super Marmande
Vinetage Wine
Boxcar Willie
Mexican Midget

30 varieties, ~250 plants. I ONLY started the 7 varieties. The owner of the farm started more...and the local amazing tomato guy hooked me up with even more new (to me) varieties...and I might be getting more bi-color ones from him. I'm lucky to have nearly an acre of awesome garden to plant in, but still. It's a LOT of work to put out that many plants. Luckily once they're in the ground they're easy to take care of.

Oh well. :)

o

2nd year planting tomatoes:

Sungold F1
Suncherry Premium F1
Berry F1
Rosada F1
Gardeners Delight
Tigerella
Black Russian
Costoluto Genovese
Super Marmande
Brutus F1

All from T&M

o

Here's what I'm planing

In EarthTainers:
Wes x2
Cherokee Purple x2
Winsall
Sungold f1

In other containers:
Yukon Quest
Iditarod Red

In the Ground:
Wes
Winsall x2
Sungold f1

And I may end up finding more room in the ground for a few more of the above varieties.

o

Hi Rita. I'm not looking at my list so lets see if I remember them all.

Red Brandywine
Sandul Muldovan
Cynthia's Amore Pink
Stump of the World
Granny Cantrells
Pink Bulgarian
Sweet Beverley
Captain Lucky
Rebel Yell
Indigo Rose
Big Beef
Sungold
Cherokee Purple PL
Flortis cherry
Dr. Carolyn Pink
Aunt Ginny's Purple
Garden Peach
plus the others I can't remember right now.

o

Some of you really are planting a lot! And here I thought I was getting carried away. But really if I had the room I would have so many that it would look like a tomato farm! Plus I see many varieties listed that I have not even heard of, much less grown myself.

o

Smaller tomato garden this year:

These are sprouted and in the midst of being planted, and all of this top list came from the late Dan McMurray, these were seed from some USDA/GRIN growouts he did several years back. I had poor germination tests on them so I am growing them to refresh the stock--these and the others will be available at WinterSown in late Autumn 2012.

AJC 431
Filipino #2
Frenki
Firesteel
Gruntovii Gribovskii
Kishinev
Kwangtung 015
Kwangtung 105
No. 2 (Chinese variety)
Nung-Ta #23
Piovano
Potato Leaf Type
Versalskie
Zhong Shu #6

These were sown when the top list began sprouting, it's been rainy this whole past week so I hope to see some sprouting early next week--all my toms are sprouted in containers outside:

Apricot
Beaverlodge Plum
Beaverlodge Slicer
Cream Sausage
Darth Mater
Ditmarsher
Elwin Hannah
Goldilox
Grandma Viney's Yellow and Pink
Husky Pink Hybrid
Maja
Malinowe Zebra #137
Mr Snow
New Big Dwarf
Orange Jubilee
Prescott Cherry
Red Satin OP
Rose de Berne
Signature Red
Sweet Beverly
Taos Trail
Tasmanian Chocolate
Taxi
Zielony Green #132

And I bought these at HD last week:

Jet Star

o

Second year planting, again with very limited planting space. In EarthTainer:

SUPER SWEET 100s
CHEROKEE PURPLE

In 5 gallon buckets:

SUN GOLD (or SUNSUGAR)
JET STAR

First ones went in today, the others hopefully this weekend!

o

I finished planting mine. Started yesterday and planted the rest today. So we will see how quickly they grow.

o

I've got
Costoluto Genovese (4)
Cherokee Purple (4)
San Marzano Gigante (6) and
Sweet Baby Girl (6)

Planted them out a few days ago when the weather turned cooperative again. The first two are new to me, but I hope to really like one if not both of them.

o

This year I will be home weekends to tend the garden and will plant:

Trip L Crop
Early Girl
Better Boy
Big Boy

and two cherry & grape I cannot recall.

Also experimenting with cantalop, honey dew, and crimson Sweet melons. A friend gave me some sweet potato slips that have been passed down for years in his family and we planted those along with corn: Incredible, Bodacious, G90. Also have okra, purple hull peas, blue lake pole beans and some tender greens.

Looks like a great year. Gonna start some Jersey Supreme Asparagus, as the price they get here sometimes rivals that of gound chuck! We love fresh veggies.

Thanks to all of you for the advise on fish emulsion. Once applied, we can see dramatic results in terms of a growth spurt and more "greening."

I had such good luck starting tomatoes from seeds this year, next year I will try some of the more unusual and heirloom varieties.

I did find that the local supply house sells calcium nitrate in 5LB bags for about $5. I can use it applied in granular form to the soil or dilute it 1oz to the gallon as a follar. Lot's cheaper than buying the liquid at the store. Just thought I'd pass that on. Good growing everyone!

o

• Posted by qaguy Sunset 21/LosAngeles (My Page) on
    Sat, May 5, 12 at 0:26

Over 20 years of growing tomatoes for me.

Brandywine (Sudduth)
Cherokee Purple
Kellog's Breakfast (a must have every year)
Lemon Boy (another must have every year)
Sweet 100 (still another must have every year)
Momotaro
Big Boy
Black Krim
Dona

They've been in the ground since April 1 and are doing
quite nicely, thank you.

I too have a wonderful nursery, Burkhard's in Pasadena, CA.
They have hundred of varieties every year. Best of all,
I trade plumeria cuttings for tomato starts, so all my
tomato starts are free!

o

Fifth year for my backyard urban garden.

Sungold
Black Cherry (new)
Cherokee Purple
Rutgers Select (new)
Neves Azorean Red (new)
Big Beef

Here's hoping that the Black Cherry is like a miniature Cherokee Purple!

o

BTW, i don't know average germination rates that you guys deal with, but i was amazed to see the 100% germination rate on my 60 seeds of Sungold from T&M. This was on a windowsill, no labs or anything :)

o

I was only gonna grow 3-4 kinds til I found this forum, and heard all the people here raving about various varieties I had never even heard of. I was kinda jealous in that I hadnt ordered seeds and started early enough to do multiple varieties like I see listed here.

Well that all changed when I went to a local nursery where they happened to have "tomato-mania"... 175 different varieties... all under one roof, and I ended up with:

Better bush (for fried green tomatoes)
San Marzano X3
Mr. Stripey (one last chance to perform before I ditch)
Pineapple
Cherokee Purple X2
Pink Brandywine
Brandywine Sudduth
Lemon Boy
Aunt Ruby's German Green
Sun Sugar
Rutgers
Black Prince
Black Sea Man
Taxi
Sophie's Choice
Brandy Boy
Bloody Butcher
Kellogs Breakfast
Arkansas Traveler
Black Krim
Black Cherry
Green Zebra
Sun Gold
Marglobe (mid season replacement)

In hindsight, I went kinda crazy for a 2nd year gardner with a small urban space, but after finding this forum, I just couldnt help myself!

o

Whio cares if you went overboard. It is so great to have all those tomatoes!

o

I planted

Tommy Toes
Yellow 1884 Pinkheart
Cherokee Purple (first to fruit this year, has a pingpong ball-sized tomato on it)
Royal Hillbilly
Sioux (has a marble-sized tomato)

I just planted one of each. Last year production was crappy because of the heat, then I didn't get to eat any fruits from the CP plant because caterpillars ate them. Tonight I will be applying the BT powder so maybe they won't get them this time.

o

I didn't know which forum to post this.

I live in Broward County Florida and I have been container gardening.

I purchased but not have received yet the following plants.
I purchased from cooks garden 3 cherry tomato plants-
ladybug,sungold, and green envy.

o

I got a bunch of heirlooms at Tomatomania here in Los Angeles and came home with these babies:

Chocolate Stripes
Brandywine
Cherokee Purple
White Beauty
Snow White
Sungold
Paul Robeson
Virgina Sweets
Stupice
Black Prince
Mr. Stripey

I also purchased the following at Lincoln Avenue Nursery in Pasadena. They have a breathtaking selection of dozens and dozens of heirlooms.

Anana's Noir
Black Krim
Black Cherry

o

Lemon Boy
Cherokee Purple
German Giant
Gourmet Heirloom
Black Krim
Black from Tula
Big Mama
Brandywine Sudduth
Bella Rosa
Better Beef

o

This year I purchased my seed from Remy at Sample Seed Shop - got carried away reading her descriptions. I've grown in self made earthboxes for years, but am growing them in the ground in my garden this year. Switching aroung many things that have been the same for years, these are all new varieties, so this will be interesting for me.

I have the following which have been growing in cool conditions (64 high, 55 low) in my basement under lights. I am thrilled with the outcome so far; short, stocky plants with extensive root systems. They should go out next weekend; nights are still too cool at my house.

Sunsugar F1
Black Cherry
Stump of the World
Carbon
Dr. Lyle
Humph
Kosovo
Northern Lights
Olive Hill
Orange Minsk

o

So far here in Brooklyn I have going:

Amish Paste 2x
Caspian Pink
Brandywine (PL)
Brandyboy (PL)
Cherokee Purple
Mortgage Lifter

I'll pick up a cherry or grape type somewhere along the way

o

• Posted by suprneko 9b/sunset 16 - SF Ba (My Page) on
    Mon, May 7, 12 at 0:40

Well I went to the farmer's market today and I swore I was just going to scope out the varieties for next year, since we have no more room...but I came back with Pink Ping Pong and Isis Candy. My hubs wasn't thrilled that there are so many cherries but oh well! My kids and I will be happy. :) I had to move some summer squash to make space, now a bunch of them are relegated to the not so optimal spot, hopefully we'll still get enough.

My new list:

Ace
Early Girl
Green Zebra
Sunsugar
Super Sweet 100
Black Cherry
Sugar Plum
Husky Cherry Red
Pink Ping Pong
Isis Candy

I would love to hear reviews of everyone's list once the season is over! Especially the member growing Momotaro, I want to try that next year.

o

Black Plum
Black Krim
Super Sweet 100

o

This is my 3rd year. Last year I had a pink brandywine and only got one or two tomatoes off it. So for 2012..

4 Brandywine (pink and/or red, seeds from 2 places)
3 Supersteak
1 Supersweet 100 Cherry
1 Carbon (never tried before)
1 Orange Green Zebra (never tried before)

That is way more than the two of us can eat. Gave 3 additional plants that I started away, no room.

There is a local couple starting a business. They have maybe 2500 tomatoes plants this year. Something like 170 or 180 different varieties. I think I'm going to be trying a couple new ones every year.

o

This year I am trying alot of different Heirlooms to find out what I like and what grows well in my area. I've never grown any of them before, so any thoughts or advice is appreciated!

San marzano
Mortgage lifter
Cherokee purple
Black krim
Marglobe
Rutgers
Jersey giant
Amish paste
Brandywine
Paul Robeson
Ground cherry
Hawaiian pineapple

Backup Plants
Roma
Sungold Hybrid

o

@Sandrazone6 - I also ordered from Remy at Sample Seed Shop - during my winter reading I found the link by happy accident. Spent many hours reading those descriptions! Had to try Stump of the World since it's her favorite. I tried so hard to limit myself as I have not a lot of sunny space but of course I started several of each variety and with every single seed germinating and thriving I had 50 plants lining my windowsills! I've been giving them away because I really only have room for 5 plants! (I thought of adding more containers but the potting mix gets awfully expensive.)

Stump of the World (a favorite of Remy's)
Mountain Princess (an early type)
Polish Dwarf (for container)
Jaune Flamme (also early - yellow)
Bradley (a surprise free gift)

I'm really looking forward to tasting them all.

o

Rutger
Amish Paste
Opalka
Box Car Willie
Beefsteak
Black Krim

On the Black Krim, this is my first year tryin em. The seeds, from Ferry Morse. Once they got leaves I noticed 2 out of the 60 or so were potato leaf. I'm interested to find out what those will be. But it kind of opens up the mystery to the whole pack of seeds in my mind. Too late to look back now though. Hope everyone has a good year !

o

Today I put tomato fertilizer around my new tomato plants. Did it before the rain. So now raining and it can wash the fertilizer in. The tomatoes all look good. Well, I should say the plants do as there certainly are no tomatoes yet!

o

I'm proud to say that I will be growing tomatoes this year for the first time since several years ago when I grew them hydroponically in my college dorm room. I have obsessively following this forum for years which has been a slow form of torture for me as I have been unable to grow anything in my apartment. Well, I own a house now and have put in my raised beds. I'm getting a late start here in zone 8, but I don't care, I'm growing tomatoes this year come hell or high water!

I'm too late to start from seed but was extremely pleased by the heirloom selection at Home Depot this year. I've planted Green zebra, Cherokee purple, mortgage lifter, black Krim, Sweet 100, and a favored hybrid for this area according to the local nursery called Shady Lady.

I'm so excited!!!

o

I want to join hankjrfan in hoping everyone has a good year! I wonder what those potato leaf "Black Krim" will be.

@newyorkrita, what perfect timing!

@tomatohyjinks: Congrats on the new home & the new beds! So exciting to be able to grow tomatoes after the years of only being able to read about doing so. Keep us posted on your progress!

(I lurk way more than I post...)

I had some windburn on a few of my plants that I was hardening off (didn't do all of them at the same time) and I'm delighted to say that they're recovering nicely! More to give away...

o

I just couldn't stand it, I got 12 more plants. A six pack of BIG BOY. Two FOURTH OF JULY, one SUGERY, one SIBERIAN, one SUN GOLD and one CHEROKEE PURPLE.

o

This year it's....
CHEROKEE PURPLE
CELEBRITY
BOX CAR WILLIE
ERNESTO
RINALDO
PROVENZANO
BLACK CHERRY
SNOW WHITE
CHERRIO

o

Corona
Homestead
Super Boy 785
Bradley
Sunmaster
Carolina Gold
Mt. Gold
Better Bush
Bush Goliath
Better Boy
Thessalaniki
Cherokee Purple
Boxcar Willie
Eva Purple Ball
Jet Star
Early Girl
Delicious
Burpee's Big Boy
Rose de Beme
Giant Belgium
Kellogg's Breakfest
Manalucie
Porterhouse
Riesenstraube
Chadwick Cherry
Juliet
Large Red Cherry

and in pots:Totem, Tip top and Tumbling Tom

o

Baxter Bush
Better Boy
Black Cherry
Black Seaman
Bloody Butcher
Branscomb Orange
Cowlick's Brandywine
Delicious
Eva Purple Ball
Ferris Wheel
Fabulous
Monomakh's Hat
Moravsky Div
Persimmon
Reif Red Heart
Russian Persimmon
Rozalinda
Rutgers
....and Tomatillo when I find them

o

Didn't start seeds this year, but I'm doing some comparisons of commercially available varieties for local performance. A few of these are first-timers for me:

German Johnson regular leaf vs. Big Pink Hybrid (Burpee)
Brandy Boy Hybrid vs. Pink Brandy Master Hybrid
Black Krim vs. Black Prince (already know Nyagous does well here)
Jetsetter vs. Early Girl
Better Boy vs. Champion
Big Beef vs. Park Whopper vs. Goliath
Yellow Brandywine vs. Golden Jubilee
Husky Cherry Red vs. Cherry Punch (new variety, compact plants)
Black Cherry vs. Chocolate Cherry
Sun Gold vs. SunSugar

o
RE: Unpartnered varieties

In addition to the competitive matches above,

Cherokee Purple
Fourth of July (Tough-skinned little tomatoes get sweet in our midsummer heat)
And the traditional unknown volunteer plant as a reminder that we're not always in total control of what grows in our gardens

Already thinking about next year.

o

sweet 100..BigBoy..BetterBoy..Supersonic..Goliath..BigZAC..Sicilian Slicer..White Beauty..Early Girl..Delicious..Supersteak..Yellow Pear..German Head..Yellow Belgium Giant..Dinner Plate..Sungold..Green Grape..Black Cherry..Chocolate Cherry..Spoon..Green Sausage..Giant Tree..and Big Rainbow...So .....Far....LOL..Dave in WV

o

wound up with 73 plants. Black, Red, Orange, Yellow and Pink. Three in containers and 70 in the garden. Eighteen diff varieties, large, medium and three cherries soon to be four as I have Black Cherry under lights in the basement just getting true leaves. The plants in containers were seeded in Feb and have marble size tomatoes in the 5-1-1 mix.

o

Black Krim
Cherokee Purple
Sun Gold

Haven't grown too many tomatoes before. Picked these up before I saw this thread and am encouraged!

o

Abe Lincoln
Anna Russian
Beefsteak
Black Cherry
Black Krim
Brandywine
Cherokee Purple
Eva Purple Ball
Great White
Mortgage Lifter
Pink Oxheart
Rutgers

Huge thanks to Trudi at WinterSown.Org for the seeds!

Here is a link that might be useful: WinterSown.Org

o

So interesting to see which plants are repeats on many lists!

Mine this year:

Black Krim
Black Prince
Black Cherry
Black Zebra
Bloody Butcher
Sungold
Odoriko
Persimmon
Cosmonaut Moskovich
Cherokee Purple
Snow White
Doctors Frosted Green Cherry

Still in transplant pots and debating whether I have room -- Brown Berry and Green Zebra. I was lucky enough to have a friend give me a few heirloom plants this year. The rest I couldn't resist at various farmer's markets.

o

1 -- Rosalinda
3 -- Santa sweet f5
2 -- Brandy Boy
2 -- Big Beef
2 -- Wes
2 -- NAR
2 -- Hoy
2 -- Gold Medal
1 -- Cherokee Green
1 -- Cherokee Purple
1 -- Bear Creek
2 -- Jersey Devil
2 -- Jimmy Nardello pepper
2 -- sweet bananna pepper
2 -- hot Biker Billy jalapeno pepper

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

o

Great tomatoes plants there, Geeboss!

I must be nuts because I cam home today with another tomato plant. That makes 50. Better Bush, one of the Bonnie Plants in the very big peat pots.

o

Wes
Giant Belgium
Goose Creek
Red Penna
Super Marmande
Sprite
Black Cherry
Reisenstaub
Momotaro
Champaign Cherry

o

Better Boy
Japanese Black Trifele
Cherokee Purple
Black Pineapple
Purple Russian
San Marzano
Early Girl

Sweet 100's
Chocolate Cherry
Sun Gold Cherry

o

Where do people recommend buying tomato seeds from?

I am looking for Sub Arctic Plenty (or other Sub Arctic).

Doran

o

Hi, defigart. Years ago on a news forum, I copied a beta-version of a Google veggie seed search. It lists the following Sub Arctic varieties. [I won't guarantee they're all in stock, since the links are sometimes out of date -- but most likely you'll find them.]

Sub Arctic Maxi: Tomato Growers Supply, Stokes Seeds

Sub Arctic Plenty: Totally Tomatoes, Pinetree Garden, Heirloom Seeds, Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds

Sub Arctic Early: Abundant Life

Sub Arctic Midi: Abundant Life

These are all good places to order from. I'm not so fond of Totally Tomatoes -- but they made the cut, as opposed to another company I didn't list here. I also ignored some seed-sellers I haven't done business with and haven't heard much about. There didn't seem to be any other Sub Arctic varieties in the Google Search besides these four.

Other good places to buy seeds from: Marianna's Heirloom Seeds, Fedco Seeds, Sand Hill Preservation Center, Tatiana's TOMATObase (she's in Canada, but Americans can buy from her without difficulty), Seed Savers Exchange, Southern Exposure Seed Exchange, Johnny's Selected Seeds, Gleckler Seedmen, The Sample Seed Shop.

WinterSown will send you free seeds for the cost of postage; you never know what varieties you'll find there.
http://wintersown.org/wseo1/YourChoiceTomatoSASE.html

If you're looking for other early varieties, try this list at the database part of Tatiana's TOMATObase. Many are obscure varieties; others you can find in many places, and some at the seed part of Tatiana's. The database does list vendors -- but it's not a complete list.
http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/wiki/Category:Early_Tomatoes

[Tatiana's also lists S. A. Late, Delight, and Cherry. No info on the first two, and apparently no 2012 vendor for the third.]

o

I see Northern Lights mentioned a couple of times. I always wonder why more people don't grow that one...

o

Hello, new to Garden Web. I see that there were a couple of listings for Bella Rosa and Matina tomato varieties being grown last season. Would you care to share your experiences and/or opinions of these varieties? I have seeds on hand for both of these.

o

You're best bet would be to start a new topic asking about specific varieties. Choose a title that includes BellaRosa and Matina.

o

Better Boy
Black Krim
Black Pearl
Earl of Edgecombe
Golden Jubilee
Green Zebra
Juliet
Sun Gold
Thessaloniki
Patio Princess
Long Keeper

o

Better Boy and Supersweet 100.

I grew both in the fall with mixed feelings about both varieties and want to see how they do in the spring.

I did produce a lot of fruit from both varieties, harvested over a long period of time, which is nice. Two plants (one of each) did not produce much and failed early. I thought they were in the best location due to sunlight, but root knot nematodes did them in. Won't plant there again.

Fruit splitting was a big problem with the better boys... hopefully, a spring planting will have less of that.

o

For paste/plum, going mostly with hybrids (anything to help hold back the BER)
Viva Italia
San Marzano Gigante 3
Super Sauce (the Burpee Catalog made me do it:-))
Tony's Italian

Prue
Kosovo
Kalman's Hungarian Pink
Red Boar
Pink Berkley Tie-Dye
Ananas Noir

Bella Rosa
Big Beef
Kellogg's B-fast
Pantano Romanesco
Arkansas Traveler
Amazon Chocolate
Black Krim
Cherokee Purple
Earl's Faux
German Johnson PL
Lemon Boy
Better Boy
Brandy Boy
Early Girl
Lucky Cross or VA Sweets
Rutgers

Peace Vine Cherry
Black Cherry
Sun Gold
Sweet 100 (maybe)

And have around 160 superhot, hot, and sweet peppers already under lights. Hmm. And a pop-up greenhouse with . . . Sluggo Plus, lol. Peace. Annie

o

This year, I decided to mix it up. I am planting:

Park's Whopper (improved)
2 varieties of Beefsteak
1 Better Boy
Mrs Maxwell's Big Italian
San Marzano

o

I will be growing:

Red Furry Boar
Amos Coli
Sweet Solano
Gypsy
Indian Stripe
Black Plum
Hillbilly
Cherokee Purple
Black Cherry
Gruntvii Griboskiy 1180
Ceylon
Nebraska Wedding
Sungella
Golden Grape

I have a fre more but thats most of them. I will be growing half of each.kind in pots and the other half in the ground.

o

10 of "Ramapo F1 hybrid" by Rutgers
5 of "4th of July hybrid" - by Burpee

3 - (thinking about a Black Krim? or some kind of Tasty Yellow or off color tomatoe?)

Zone - 6 - Philladelphia/Trenton area

This post was edited by thebutcher on Thu, Mar 7, 13 at 15:50

o

Yellow Pear
Japanese Trifele Black
Chalk's Early Jewel
Principe Borghese
Martino's Roma

o

Paul Robeson x4
Hillbilly/Flame x4
Black Cherry x2
Sweet 100 Cherry x1
Big Boy x 6
San Marzano x ~45
San Marzano #2 x ~20
Green Zebra x 6
possibly some others, but these are the for sures.

o

It's just me and the dog (he loves tomatoes - grrr). I'm putting in -
Brandy Boy
Black Krim
Cherokee Purple
Sunsugar (or Sungold, if I can't find seeds locally)

thebutcher, you must try Black Krim. If I could only grow one, that would be it.

o

I just started my seeds and can hardly contain my excitement. I am growing one each of the following in 25-gallon smart pots with Texas Tomato Cages:
Brandywine, Sudduth
Brandy Boy
Mortgage lifter, Estler
Stump of the World
Kosovo
Earl's Faux

And one each of the following in 20-gallon smart pots with Burpee XL Pro tomato cages:
Goose Creek
Jetsetter
Cherokee Purple

I just got additional seeds in trade that I'm going to save for next year. If some of my seeds don't sprout within a week, these are my back ups:
Black Krim
Pruden's Purple
Arkansas Traveller

o

I've started my seeds indoors. It is officially tomato season therefore the weather must improve.

This year:
Jaune Flamme
Opalka
Cherokee Purple
Mortgage Lifter
KBX
Black Cherry
Sungold

o

@ monet_g

I was thinking about the Black Krim last week, I should of ordered it then before my vacation, but per your advice and seeing the majority of posts are growing them it I made my mind up and ordered 30 seeds just now for about $2.

Today I am starting my "Ramapo" and "4th of July" tomatoe seeds 10 and 10 in peat pellets. The delivery for Black Krim should take 3-5 business days then will start them.

SO now my updated list is:

1. Ramapo F1 Hybrid
2. Fourth of July Hybrid
3. Black Krim Heirloom

About 10 of each

Many thanks for the advice.

This post was edited by thebutcher on Thu, Mar 14, 13 at 13:45

o

I have a small garden with just 2 celebrity plants and I'm new to gardening so I'm very interested in other people's experiences with these plants and their tomatoes. They have already grown from 5 inches to 16 Inches in just a month.

o

the butcher, I'm glad you are going to grow BK.

I noticed that you're using peat pellets. Most people don't have very good luck with them. For me, I always had damping off. I now start my seedlings in styrofoam coffee cups in a seed mix/medium. I put them on heat inside a plastic bag. Once they germinate I remove the bag, pull them off the heat and place them under lights. Once they're growing along well (~4 weeks old), I move them up to beer cups. Then, I'll plant them out 2 to 4 weeks later - after hardening them off.

There's different ways of doing it, but this has worked well for me (and many others). There's been a lot of discussion here on the pains of the peat pellets.

Good luck,
Gail

This post was edited by monet_g on Fri, Mar 15, 13 at 10:09

o

this years list:
Cour di Bue
Pantano Romanesco
Red Pear
Chianti Rose
Pineapple
Hillbilly
Brandywine
San Marzano Lungo No. 2
Glacier
sungold

This post was edited by pasco on Tue, Mar 26, 13 at 22:05

o

Brandy Boy - Better Boy - Super Marzano - German Giant - Sweet Baby Girl. They are off to a good start in our cold climate !

photo IMG_0733_zps961ebde7.jpg

o

I am so ridiculously jealous of those who have access to great starts or the foresight to order ahead. I guess I'll have to try again for fall!

At this point, the scrawny ones from Home Depot are about the same size as the much nicer ones I bought from Arborgate two weeks later.

Early girl
Heinz super roma
Homestead
Roma Juliet
Cherokee purple x2
Sweet 100
Roma
Red pear
Viva Italia x2
San Marzano
Reisentraube
Patio

o

Black Krim (always)
SuperSauce (the catalog picture got me, too)
Marianna's Peace
Anna Russian (always)
Amish Paste
Cherokee Purple
Stupice
Box Car Willie
Marglobe
Great White
Andrew Rahart
Mortgage Lifter
Florida Pink

o

I just started seeds today, and so far I have:

Kellogg's Breakfast
Estler's Mortgage Lifter
Brandywine Sudduth
Fish Lake Oxheart
Linnies Oxheart
German Red Strawberry
Sophie's Choice (will probably go in a Pot)
Wes
Black Cherry
Cherokee Purple Heart

I still plan to start:
Kosovo
Danko
Orange Minsk
Anna Russian

Only about 7-8 can fit in the garden, but I have about 6 large pots, including 3 20 gallon grow bags I just ordered. 5 of these are new for me, so this should be an interesting year. I hope they are as good as I have heard.

o

Hi, I just started:
Aunt Gertie's Gold, 6 seeds
Black Russian, 6
Gold Nugget (cherry), 6
Druzba, 6
Bloody butcher, 6
Brandywine Sudduth, 4
Tasmanian chocolate, 8
Sun sugar, 2
Cuore Di Bue, 11 ( apparently this is different from cuor Di Bue)
Black from Tula, 12
Iditatrod, 9
Orange Strawberry, 6

I have no idea what will happen. It's been a long time since I started my own seeds, so here's hoping!
Sharon

o

Lime Green Salad
Mountain Gold Hyb
Bella Rosa
Super Tasty Hyb
Bush Early Girl
Northern Exposure
Brandy Boy
Ball's Beefsteak
Goliath
Green Cherokee
Cobra Hyb

Sun Gold
Juliet
Black Cherry

Super Sauce
Yaqui Hyb

o

• Posted by number2 USDA 9b/Sunset 14 (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 1, 13 at 20:03

So many of you have space for so many varieties, I am so envy! I bought all these plants this year and am still trying to figure out where to plant them - looking for suggestion!! Please refer to my post: http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/tomato/msg0416213619765.html

Some will probably be sacrified and be put under shade or extreme tight space:

Black Krim
Black Cherry
Black Prince
Sukura
Stupice
Roma
Early Girl
Sweet 100
Yellow Pear
Sun Cherry
Sun Gold

o

Ramapo
Kelloggs Breakfast
Big Beef
Sweet Chelsea
Jaune Flamme
Sungold
Black Krim
Eva's Purple Ball
Cherokee Purple
Cherokee Green
Rosella Purple
San Marzano 2
Arkansas Traveler
Pantano Romanesco

o

I always love these threads, even though I don't grow as many as everyone else! :)

Most of my toms this year will be the F3 of a variety I want to de-hybridize, so that doesn't leave much garden space for tonnes of other varieties. However, I will make room for a couple each of:

Anna Russian
Applause (favourite)
Black Krim
Polish Linguisa
San Marzano

The kids want a tomato in their little garden area, so I'm starting Juliet for them. It's too sweet for my taste, but I have the leftover seed and the kids like sweet and prolific, so they can have it.

o

I love these threads, too. It's nice to see that I'm not alone in loving Black Krim.

It seems like many are growing Jaune Flamme. I'll have to look that up as a possibility for next year.

o

Grandma's pick 60
Beaverlodge 50
Sweet million 20
Black Krim 5
Brandywine 5
Sungold 5

Im goin nuts this year. First time growing from seed, and so far so good. Last year my garden was 8' x 16' this year its 40' by 80'.

o

Legend
Abraham Lincoln
Omar's Lebanese Giant
Hillbilly
Beefmaster
Sungold
Yellow Pear
Chocolate Cherry
Red Currant

Those are the ones I have started already. I plan to go out to my favorite greenhouse to get a few more specimens:

Kellogg's Breakfast
Green Zebra
Stupice
Pineapple

I picked them based on previous experience with taste and disease resistance, and the new (to me) varieties I researched for blight resistance. I plant in a community garden that just can't get rid of the blight. We'll see what survives and for how long.

o

Third year grower. Plants grown from seed are ready for hardening off and planting if our weather will ever cooperate. We are way past last frost date of April 1.

San Marzano Redorto
Hawaiian Currant
JD' s Special C Tex
Gary'O Sena
Chocolate Stripes
Vorlon
Indian Stripe
New Big Dwarf
Bloody Butcher
Greek Rose

I need to pick up a Black Cherry and a SunGold yet at the farmer's market and I will be done. Oh, my seeds came from Gleckler's and Gary at TomatoFest.

Susan

o

Wow, I was surprised to see this thread from last year is still going only on our 2013 lists.

I brought back favorites from last year and am also growing new to me varieties this year.

1 Viva Italia
1 Sungold
1 Suggery
1 Kelloggs Breakfast
1 Prudens Purple
6 Big Boy
6 Better Boy
6 Beefmaster
6 Early Girl
6 Juliet
6 Sweet Million
6 Rutgers
6 Jet Star
6 Big Beef

I already bought these seedlongs yesterday. I did have seeds of all sorts of varieties but never got around to starting them.

Kelloggs Breakfast and Prudens Purple are my heirlooms to try this year. Last year I had Cherokee Purple but decided not to bring it back.

Of course I bright back my favorites of Big Boys, Better Boys and Beefmasters. Also the grape tomato Juliets that mostly get a bad rap on this forum but I love them.

Jet Star, Big Beef and Rutgers are ones I wanted to try since reading about them last year.

o

Hey Rita,
So an update to what I started:

Hi, I just started:
Black Russian, 6
Gold Nugget (cherry), only 1
Druzba, 6
Bloody butcher, 6
Brandywine Sudduth, 4
Tasmanian chocolate, 8
Sun sugar, 1
Black from Tula, 12
Iditatrod, 9
Orange Strawberry, 6

I have recently started Costoluto Genovese
Tim's Black ruffles.
Black pear
black Krim
Big Rainbow
Aunt Ruby's German Green
Anna's Russian

Kellogg's breakfast was a complete washout. I am also started Sun Sugar and Juliet in the hopes I'll have time to plant them.
Sharon

o

Hey Rita,
So an update to what I started:

Hi, I just started:
Black Russian, 6
Gold Nugget (cherry), only 1
Druzba, 6
Bloody butcher, 6
Brandywine Sudduth, 4
Tasmanian chocolate, 8
Sun sugar, 1
Black from Tula, 12
Iditatrod, 9
Orange Strawberry, 6

I have recently started Costoluto Genovese
Tim's Black ruffles.
Black pear
black Krim
Big Rainbow
Aunt Ruby's German Green
Anna's Russian

Kellogg's breakfast was a complete washout. I am also started Sun Sugar and Juliet in the hopes I'll have time to plant them.
Sharon

o

Entire list would be boring, but I'm growing some small yellow and orange tomatoes this year to see which is best for our conditions:

AAA Sweet Solano
Jaune Flamme
Yellow Perfection
Little Lucky

Already know that AAA Sweet Solano does well here. Yellow Perfection already has some fairly sizable fruits. Also have four orange cherries: Sungold, Sun Sugar, Orange Paruche and Sweet Orange II.

Going with Nyagous again as my "black" tomato, with Black Krim for comparison (didn't bear last year). And trying Indian Stripe, with Cherokee Purple for comparison (also didn't bear last year).

o

Cherokee Purple
Big Mamma
Super Sauce
Better Boy
Amish Paste
Roma
Black Cherry
Yellow Pear

One or two other types escape me. So far I have 46 in the ground and another 20+ will go in this weekend. Its going to be an exciting year if they produce well.

o

San Marzano
Vorlon
Mortgage lifter
Celebrity

I started Vorlon and Mortgage Lifter from seed using a Jiffy seed starting kit (the one with the peat pellets) purchased from the Home Depot. I saved the seed from last year's crop. All of the seeds sprouted. I find that my plants grow larger if I start them from seed.

o

I just finished dividing seedlings and potting them up - we have a later season than most of you. I dont put them in the ground until the end of May.

I have had decent success with the Costoluto Genovese, Early Girl and Pruden's Purple - the rest are new for me.

Costoluto Genovese
Green Zebra
Prudens Purple
Early Girl
Parks Whopper
Goose Creek
Belmonte
Kosovo

o

Black Krim
San Marzano
Cherokee Purple
Mortgage Lifter
Amish Paste

BK, SM and CP from seed. I don't have much space with full sun, so I am trying very hard to stop myself from buying more plants. But I keep finding myself at garden centers in the tomato plant section!

o

Beefmaster
Better Bush
Brandywine (Grafted)
Brandywine Pink
Brandywine Red
Bush Big Boy
Bush Goliath
Delicious
Early Girl
Early Goliath
Fourth of July
Giant Belgium Pink
Husky Cherry Red
Monster
Mortgage Lifter (Grafted)
Super Sweet 100
Supersteak
Sweet Million Cherry

The 8-10’’ seedlings

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

are very happy in the cold frame

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

o

Oh, very nice set up. They are really doing well.

o

Tx newyorkrita. Check here if you want to see more pictures of my cold frame.

o

Just curious - what size pots are they in? Mine are in 4" pots and I'm wondering if I will have to repot.

o

I keep starting seedlings, but I have a question regarding Costoluto Genovese. I have seedlings, but the general consensus is that it's not so hot on flavor. I am debating whether or not to transplant into the 4" pots. Any thoughts anyone on this tomato?

o

Sharonie wrote: > Just curious - what size pots are they in?

They are CowPots - 6".

> Mine are in 4" pots and I'm wondering if I will have to repot.

Being in zone 5b, I suggest you to repot. It will be a while until transplanting, and by then, the roots will be too crowded in the 4’’ pot.

This post was edited by Daniel_NY on Sun, Apr 28, 13 at 20:29

o

I participated in the seed exchange this year for the first time. I received a wide variety of tomato seeds, but many did not germinate. So this year I am planting PARKS WHOPPER, Beefsteak, Bush Big Boy, early girl and roma.

o

New to the forum although I have been reading it for the past 2 years. I plan on planting the below (some of which I did last year):

Black Krim
Better Boy
Beef Master
Brandywine Pink
Mortgage Lifter
San Marzano
Super Sauce
Super Sweet 100
Yellow Currant
Yellow Pear
4th of July
Sunchola

I plan on atleast 2 of each type but that may change.

o

I have definitely over-bought for our needs, but I just can't resist a pretty face!

Better Bush
Better Boy
Tomatoberry Garden
Husky Red Cherry
Tiny Tim
SunGold

o

• Posted by arley 7b/8a SC (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 30, 13 at 12:31

This is the first year I've grown any from seed, and I overdid it. I'm about 20 miles from Augusta, GA, on the line between Zone 7a and 8b. Hot summers, often dry, Wanted to see which Heirloom types survive in this setting.

From Seed Savers Exchange:

Cherokee Purple
Black Krim
Black Cherry

From Tomatofest:

Mortgage Lifter (red)
Arkansas Traveler
Opalka
Marianna's Peace
Stump o' the World
Winsall

From Burpee: Brandy Boy

And in a moment of weakness I bought several plants at a garden center: One each of Druzba, Reisentraube, Park's Whopper, Beefmaster, Rutgers, Marglobe, Celebrity, Super Sweet 100, Summer Set and Goliath hybrid.

When I started the seedlings, I found that by far the most vigorous seedlings were the Black Krim, followed by Cherokee Purple and Arkansas Traveler. Don't know if that will translate into better plants, but they were definitely better as seedlings. All of them seem to be doing well in the ground, though.

o

Tha ammended tomato growing list after thowaways, giveaways and rebuys.
62 plants- All planted! Let the tomato crazies begin.
12 Better Boy
6 Big Boy
6 Beefmaster
6 Early Girl
6 Rutgers
6 Jet Star
6 Big Beef
4 Juliet
4 Sweet Million
3 Supersonic
1 Viva Italia
1 Sungold
1 Sugery

o

Cherokee Purple
Box Car Willie
Rutgers
Zeke Dishman
Hillbilly
Big Rainbow
Beef Steak
Tommy Toes

Big Boy
Sun Sugar

o

First it was seed collecting, and then winter sowing, and now tomato varieties... I think I went a little overboard this year. I don't know where I'm going to plant all of these!

Dwarf Emerald Giant
Dwarf Mr. Snow
Dwarf Wild Fred
Summertime Gold
Summertime Green
Iditarod Red
Red Robin
Tiny Tim
Lime Green Salad
Tasmanian Chocolate
Silvery Fir Tree
Indigo Rose
Variegated
Maiden's Gold
Persimmon
Beefsteak
Beef Maestro
Italian Market Wonder
Remy Rouge
Big Rainbow
College Challenger
Purple Calabash
Brandywine
Yellow Stuffer
Aunt Lou's Underground Railroad
San Marzano
Roma VF
Costoluto Genovese
Aztec
Eva Purple Ball
New Big Dwarf
Japanese Black Trifele
Blondkopfchen
and several more that will be sown this weekend.

Most are going to be used for breeding, so I'll only have a single plant of those. The reds were requested for giving away and eating, with the exception of the dwarf reds which will be used for breeding too.

o

It is always fun to see what everyone is growing. I just realised that I planted my tomatoes in ground this year earlier than I even went to buy my plants last year. Already there is a slight amount of growth on the seedlings.

o

This is my first year gardening. Yesterday I planted:
4 Supersweet cherry
4 LaRoma II
4 Health Kick
4 Beefsteak

I realized later that at least 2 of them are hybrids, which as I hear does not bode well for saving seed, but oh well. They were cheap and happened to be near where I was grocery shopping which saved me a 3hour trip to the nursery I had intended to go to. I'll have to be a little more prepared next year!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here