Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gtvaldez

Tomato plants yellow brown coloring

gtvaldez
10 years ago

My tomatos were thriving beautifully and then over the weekend - see picture. It is all over the plants. Most in the same bed and again in the bed next to it. Some plants already setting fruit. No bugs present. I cannot tell if this if fungal or viral. Please advise. Thanks so much.

Comments (10)

• gtvaldez
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another plant same bed. Used premium composted soil, blended in bone meal after planting sprouts. Watered consistently since. Are approx 3 feet tall now.

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Need much more info please.

How old are the plants? How long have they been planted outside? Were they well hardened off prior to planting out? What has your weather been lately, especially winds, wetter than normal, cooler than normal, etc? Have they been sprayed with anything at all? Have plants been grown in this bed before and if so any disease problems last year?

This could all be nothing more than environmental damage if it has been especially windy lately or if the plants were recently planted without being hardened off well.

Dave

• gtvaldez
    Original Author
    10 years ago

They were purchased weeks ago from local hardware store as large sets about 6 inches tall. They are now large and bushy at about 3 feet tall. They've been outside the whole time. We had one cold weekend last week that got down to cold but not freezing. Wacky Texas weather. Other than that the temps been in the mid 70's-80's. They were outside at the store so I assumed hardened off there. No sprays on them at all. They are watered with soaker hoses at the base under the mulch. Only problem I had in the bed last year was death to tomatoes because new dirt had zero nitrogen. By the time I figured this out, was too late in season to grow any longer. Bed was cleaned, fertilized, added bone meal, and wintered empty. It has been regular windy. These plants have been outside since March 30. So 4 weeks.

• edweather USDA 9a, HZ 9, Sunset 28
    10 years ago

Maybe you had a touch of frost on that weekend. It does look like sun, wind, or cold damage.

• missingtheobvious
    10 years ago

My tomatos were thriving beautifully and then over the weekend - see picture.

We had one cold weekend last week that got down to cold but not freezing.

Just for clarification, are these the same weekend, or different weekends?

If they are the same weekend, how cold was the "cold but not freezing"?

• gtvaldez
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I ma hopeful you are right - just weather. It was I think 37 here. It was 75 the day before and 65 the day after and 37 that night. I watered the day before to keep the raised beds warmer in case it got really close to freezing.

If it is weather stress, will it recover ok?

Thanks for sharing information!!

• gtvaldez
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It has been SINCE that cold weekend. They were thriving well, cold couple days, and now this.

• jean001a
    10 years ago

Environmental stress.

• helenh
    10 years ago

It can frost at 37 degrees. It may have taken a while for the frost damage to turn brown.

• gtvaldez
    Original Author
    10 years ago

THANKS! Everyone was soooo helpful I could not find an image anywhere on the net to match my problem to. I am so excited that the issue is environmental. Nice to find some experienced green thumbs to help me!