Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bent damaged stalks

Posted by Grifflet 3a (My Page) on
Tue, May 15, 12 at 18:48

My tomato plant fell over in the wind and now 2stalks are bent and damaged. What should I do?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bent damaged stalks

You didn't mention the size of the plant,fruit load or location of the damage but in most cases you can just readjust the plant with a little support and it will heal itself in a short time. When you note that 2 stalks are damaged are you referring to 2 branches and if so how many are there on the plant totally. I cut/snap lateral branches from my plants daily to limit to one stem per plant with no harm to the plants. For a severe stem "Kink" low on the main stem of a plant I would attrempt to dig a trench adjacent to where the stem meets the soil and bury that section of the stem.

This might seem like a critical situation but what I think you are experiencing is normal weather trama to the plant that it will adjust to and self-correct with just minor training on your part. If the main stem snaps low to the ground you might consider replanting, otherwise the plant will adapt and grow out ot the damage.

o
RE: Bent damaged stalks

Carefully tie them to a stake. It's like splinting a broken bone, only you don't want to tie the stem tightly to the stake. Using some soft material make a figure eight with the stem in one part and the stake in the other part. Tie above and below the bend so it is straight. If it's going to work the part above the bend should perk up in a few days. If it's too damaged to heal, you might as well prune back to healthy tissue and hope the suckers will take over.

Meanwhile, I'm wondering what your conditions are in zone 3a that made you plant your tomatoes outside and vulnerable to wind. They need temps reliably above 50. We are still having some nights that dip into the 40s in zone 6.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here